playing people you dislike

streak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to play better against people that I don't like. Is that typical??? Just curious if anyone has noticed this in themselves. Maybe I just hate losing more to someone I dislike than I would otherwise. Any thoughts?

notnilc20

notnilc20
Silver Member
I know what you mean....same for me.....or people that get on my nerves. I notice that when my opponent is a good person and I make casual conversation....I don't win as frequently....but when I can't stand someone I win majority of the time. Maybe I let up a little or something. Gotta learn to hate more often.....j/k

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the same....if I dislike someone I play lights out. Now...if they piss me off while I'm playing? Even worse.

spankylee

Registered
thats funny ill intentionally foul. like early eight if theres nothing at stake. but if its league or something else and i dont like the person ill open the tackle box and let all the HOOKS out ill play safety after safety just to get under their skin. it works too

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I guess I never really thought about it too much until now. I do remember playing a guy in league who was a pretty sporty player and a constant BS artist. We played a race to six and he constantly talked s*** and tried to shark me to the point where he actually shook a handful of change in front of the pocket to try and mess me up. I told myself if I lost to him it would haunt me forever.
I destroyed him. :eek:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing someone you dont like makes you play more focused. Thats just it. You ask why? Because the adrenaline turns you into the "battle mode" where the "survival" (victory) matters the most. But sometimes there is too much of adrenaline, in that case you need to realease some steam to play your best. You just have to find your comfort zone where you are battle ready but not too ready if you know what I mean. :) You can even turn that battle mode on purpose by self-talk like "i want to kill him, crush him, chew his head off" etc. even if you are playing your best friend. But once again: dont overdo it, you may find yourself too motivated - find happy middle! :wink:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
My ex-girlfriend's boyfriend's 9 Ball APA league team!!!

Everytime i play against em i smash them!!! (65-10 was the last time!!!) but the last three times i didnt get to play and guess what they not only beat us but won the playoffs. Lets just say i strike fear into a lot of the players in that room and especially that team!! My challenge to him of a race to 21 for $2000 has yet to be excepted. He'll run if he knows whats good for em!!!!!!
uzi.gif

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can actually work both ways. Yes, sometimes you feel like you have something to prove and play better. However, I've actually played worse at times because I become so tense wanting to win so badly. I find that I play well when relaxed and focused- not angry and tense.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of the mindset of some of the great players. Nick Varner has said that when you are playing an opponent and you you have the knife in them... twist it. Naturally he was speaking from a competitive nature that applies to any opponent. I do find that it is easier to do just that when certain players rub me the wrong way. Another example of this is that Johnny Archer has said that he finds it very difficult to play against Kim Davenport because they are best friends.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I seem to play better against people that I don't like. Is that typical??? Just curious if anyone has noticed this in themselves. Maybe I just hate losing more to someone I dislike than I would otherwise. Any thoughts?

I believe this is a common practice for many. These situations often give us a more "intense" focus and a reason to win more than just a friendly game does.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a tendency to let a person I dislike get in my head when I'm playing against them. I don't know why, and it's something I want to work on this season in leagues.

There is a team of five people in my leage that I absolutely cannot stand, and I never seem to play well against them. Probably because I'm too busy wishing I could smash their faces into a car windshield.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I prefer strangers

I prefer to ignore any liking or dislike for the other player at the table. They are an obstacle in my way. Get them out of the way as quickly as possible. It wasn't unusual to totally crush friends I usually banged around with in second gear if we met in a tournament. When they would say I never gave them a chance I had to agree. Great puckered smelly buttholes I might allow myself to remember I didn't like them after the dealing was done and it makes the win sweeter but I don't want any emotion towards the other player taking me out of my game.

Hu

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Streak,

It was one of the first things I noticed about the change in my game. People who had always had my number, specially those I didn't like, seemed to beat me from time to time even though I felt they were not the better player. Playing the balls on the table rather than your opponent is a wonderful game changing concept. Now, when the situation arises, anger and resentment take a back seat. It is a very rare occasion when a person I dislike beats me. Sometimes it is really hard to keep focus though. When it does happens, just let it go and go on to your next match. It isn't life or death. It's a game of pool!

Lyn

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I will not waste my life playing someone I don't like on my own dime. It will not happen, If I am hired to do it, then as a pro I will put on the smile and perform. It is part of the job.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
I don't have this problem because
I LOVE EVERYONE !
and I love them even more when they're on the other side of the table , playing me & paying me . . .

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
I don't worry about the other player. To me its about me playing as good as i can.Same as practicing playing the ghost. You really are playing against yourself.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I've hated almost everyone that I've ever played, some more than others...but only while we were playing.

When I play pool, I don't want my opponent to win a single game. I don't want him to have any realistic shots, I want all of his kicks to be unnatural two-railers, and I hope that he has a heart attack and/or miscues every time he steps to the table.

I think that this "I hope you die" mentality has really sharpened the killer's edge that I need to play really good pool.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hated almost everyone that I've ever played, some more than others...but only while we were playing.

When I play pool, I don't want my opponent to win a single game. I don't want him to have any realistic shots, I want all of his kicks to be unnatural two-railers, and I hope that he has a heart attack and/or miscues every time he steps to the table.

I learned somewhere when I started playing that you should have this kind of attitude with everyone you play. It develops the "killer instinct" that you need to have to be competitive. I've had it in varying degrees over the years but can't always bring it to the table.