Pool "Secrets" Found on AZ

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
What pool "secrets" have you learned here on AZ? Please list the "secret" and, if known, the source. Hopefully we can build a database of useful knowledge that can be applied to make AZ followers better pool players. I'll start:

1. On thin cuts, use a draw stroke -> Toupee Jay
2. Use inside english -> C.J. and the Earthquake
3. When shooting a cue ball against the rail, aim through the cushion -> Toupee Jay again!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
What pool "secrets" have you learned here on AZ? Please list the "secret" and, if known, the source. Hopefully we can build a database of useful knowledge that can be applied to make AZ followers better pool players. I'll start:

3. When shooting a cue ball against the rail, aim through the cushion -> Toupee Jay again!
FYI, a while back, I created a list of the Top 100 pool "secrets," including supporting links (with video demonstrations and instructional articles). Here it is:

Top 100 Pool Tips, "Secrets," and "Gems"

I look forward to seeing what others come up with here.

Regards,
Dave

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
None so far.
Most of the "secrets" discussed on this forum are more geared to new and intermediate players.
And that's a good thing.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
I'm not sure this technically qualifies, because it didn't actually come from AZB, but the source is reliable.

When you have a ball between the cue ball and your object ball that you're not sure you can clear the edge of, you always have a little more room than you think -> Dave Matlock

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't believe Jay said #1, if I'm wrong maybe Jay will pop in here and say why?

80P

Banned
The best pool secret of all time is.....dont gamble with rhea. He/she is the master of $5 races to 21 on the bar box.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

if we know all the secrets the game will be easy. I have one or two secrets never seen listed anywhere, work great for me; i am still searching for the mother of all secrets!!hope to find in my life time!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doing the same thing expecting different results is not a "secret," it's insanity.

The real secret comes with accepting responsibility for the level of play you're currently performing at.....and be willing to change your ideas, attitude, and techniques/systems.

One of the greatest "secrets" is to simply do the opposite of what you're currently doing for awhile......and experiment because "if it feels right, it's probably wrong".

Doing the same thing expecting different results is not a "secret," it's insanity.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Efren , Busti and Parica went to see an old man in Philly to learn
a secret aiming system.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't believe Jay said #1, if I'm wrong maybe Jay will pop in here and say why?

You can actually cut a ball slightly thinner by cueing low on the cue ball. Just try it, cutting a ball at a 90 degree angle cueing both high and low. Here's my theory why that is - when you cue high you actually throw the object ball just a hair on contact. This doesn't happen when you cue low, there is no throw.

Second major reason for cueing low is the cue ball will NEVER jump the table this way. Cueing high and shooting hard you really turn the cue ball loose and it can jump the table, particularly if the object ball is close to a rail. You have much better control by cueing low. Again I suggest you test both these assertions for yourself and see what you think.