TAR 38: Appleton vs Orcollo January 17-19,2014

This will be a great match yes. I look forward to it.

But to your point, ABSOLUTELY NOT is playing in the end of tourneys and gambling the same thing. Unless you yourself have ever been in the box betting 5 or 10k of your own cash you wont know the difference. There is a different pressure. Even for those staked its a different pressure. It will play tricks on the most seasoned of tourney players nerves. Theres other factors as well.

You might not agree, and that's fine since you obviously have more experience than myself.

However, I've always thought the pressure a player feels when gambling big (on their own dime) is due more to playing over their head than anything else. When you look at three different disciplines of gambling (poker, pool, and sports betting), the ones that do it for a living all take shots, but it's always seemed to me that the guys gambling on pool take more and play out of their bankroll more often.
 
What will the rules be for Eight Ball? Open table after the break, or shoot what ya make? I'd prefer the latter.
 
1 pkt rule

... interesting rule on the chip / shuff match... since it is rack your own .. if you make a ball on the break .. it is a re-rack... this was actually the players idea...

might not be a bad rule for TAR, 1-pkt, ..... IMO... :D
 
... interesting rule on the chip / shuff match... since it is rack your own .. if you make a ball on the break .. it is a re-rack... this was actually the players idea...

might not be a bad rule for TAR, 1-pkt, ..... IMO... :D

So far the one pocket rules we use have worked well. I don't see any need to fool with them.

The 8 ball is the question I think. Keep it open after the break or go to take what you make. If you have an opinion you can vote here:http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=344914
 
Dennis played in the Japan Open and several smaller events in Southeast Asia with mixed results. He is anxious to get back over here for DCC, the Swanee, and the U.S. Bar Table. He WILL be ready, that's for sure! Dennis treats pool as his profession, his means to support his family. He doesn't like to let them down.

And when it comes down to it this right here is the ultimate pressure and why any low paid sport played professionally in a win or starve situation is a cruel job.
 
... interesting rule on the chip / shuff match... since it is rack your own .. if you make a ball on the break .. it is a re-rack... this was actually the players idea...

might not be a bad rule for TAR, 1-pkt, ..... IMO... :D

This is how I play people rack your own, there are ways to make a ball on the break or really increase your chances like racking high and a little tilt then hitting the 2nd ball. If someone makes a ball on the break you are usually screwed and its game over.
 
So far the one pocket rules we use have worked well. I don't see any need to fool with them.

The 8 ball is the question I think. Keep it open after the break or go to take what you make. If you have an opinion you can vote here:http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=344914

Yes they have and I did vote (take what you make).

Just had not heard of this one before. My thought was 1- racking is a specialty at the highest levels 2 - making a ball on the break in 1 pkt (if not a "special" rack) is complete luck. 3 - this rule in a short race (to 8 or lower) would help reduce the luck factor quite a bit and add value to the contest.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and its your show. :grin-square:
 
Yes they have and I did vote (take what you make).

Just had not heard of this one before. My thought was 1- racking is a specialty at the highest levels 2 - making a ball on the break in 1 pkt (if not a "special" rack) is complete luck. 3 - this rule in a short race (to 8 or lower) would help reduce the luck factor quite a bit and add value to the contest.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and its your show. :grin-square:

From my study making a ball on the break in one pocket is ALL about the gaps in the rack. With a tight rack and especially with the six balls on the corners frozen it is impossible to make a ball on the break.

So for that reason I kind of like the idea of a rerack when a ball is made on the break. Especially if it's rack your own.

However that doesn't mean that a person can't still rig the rack and hope that a ball hangs up rather than goes in.
 
This one should be good. That's why I offered to come over and get in the box with Bobby. Love working with that guy! Much better than I liked gambling with him ;). I'm a two time loser (once in my own pool hall) to a certain Cotton!

No savers here! These guys will be out for blood and best of all both are good sportsmen. Should be a very competitive three days between two of the best on the planet. Love working with Justin and TAR as well. He's a straight shooter and a good guy to boot. Justin takes pride in every match he produces, doing his best to bring you high quality match-ups. This promises to be another one.

How do I handicap this match? I have to pick Darren in the Eight Ball but I know Dennis is not that much an underdog. I like Dennis in the Ten Ball, but same thing here, Dennis is only a very slight dog. In the One Pocket Darren actually has more experience, but Dennis has learned the game so fast, almost Efren like. Dennis' game continues to improve. Give Dennis another year or two and he may be the best One Pocket player alive. But not quite yet.

This is a match I call Pick 'Em! :wink:

No savers?

The winner of the day gets $1000, the loser for the day gets $500.

Please explain how this isnt a saver.

Ken
 
... interesting rule on the chip / shuff match... since it is rack your own .. if you make a ball on the break .. it is a re-rack... this was actually the players idea...

might not be a bad rule for TAR, 1-pkt, ..... IMO... :D

I think it is a great rule. So simple, but solves a questionable rack.

The other part of it is if you scratch on the break it is a rerack as well.

I agree with Lenny, if someone makes a ball on the break it is usually over.

Ken
 
No savers?

The winner of the day gets $1000, the loser for the day gets $500.

Please explain how this isnt a saver.

Ken

Ken, let's say two players (Darren Appleton and Dennis Orcollo) are in the finals of a tournament and first prize is $10,000 and second prize is $5,000. They play that match and Darren wins and gets 10K and Dennis gets 5K, did they just make a saver? Ken, your question leads me to believe that you don't actually know what a "saver" is. In the above scenario if the two players got their heads together before the match and agreed that the winner would give the loser back $1,000 after the match, then that would be a "saver." Get it?
 
Last edited:
one hole

We play if you make a ball on the break you can keep the ball but shot goes to opponent or re break.
 
A saver is when the players redistribute the prize money amongst themselves. So if first place is $10,000 and second is $3000 they may decided amongst themselves that instead of playing for a $7000 difference the loser will get 4000 instead making first and second 9k and 4k.
 
Back
Top