The REAL problem with pool

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the area I live and play pool , Enumclaw Wa. I noticed the bars were pretty well packed , most evenings , now with the no smoking rules , and the economy , you could throw a dead cat threw any of them and not hit anyone . Except on League pool night . then there are people . That's only one night a week . Jim

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's a distinct lack of concern for the patrons themselves.
Remember this is the age of selfishness. What's in it for me?

The old marketing adage is still true: it takes far less money to keep your current customers happy than to gain new ones. So how do you keep them happy enough to stay, spend money, and bring in their friends? Feed their ego and give them a reason to be loyal. Nothing trumps dissatisfaction more than loyalty. This is true in many aspects of life.

How do you create loyalty? There are lots of ways, but the bottom line is, people want to be recognized, they want to be a part of something, they want to feel special, and they want something to be proud of.

Find (or create) ways to include and recognize the common customer. Greet them by name when they arrive, and wish them well when they leave. Ask their opinion ( even if you don't want or need it) about your room, its amenities and features.

For example, put up a bulletin board (or a gallery on your website) to display photos of your customers having fun, winning etc. ( like the 300 club at the bowling alley or the triple xxx "180" club in the dart world)

Give out VIP or player of the month awards.
Ask customers for their favorite songs to put on the jukebox.
Find artists, cue makers or musicians in your customer base and display their work on your walls or play their music.

Create loyalty and pride for your room to the point that people will defend it.
Create a team and challenge other rooms, which will benefit both rooms.
Create a team and challenge other businesses. Joes bar and grill versus the first state bank. Back in the day, even the Chicago board of trade had a team.

Bring in the youth, which brings in the parents and relatives. And of course creates new players and customers for the future. Create school versus school teams, or east side versus west side, and give them plenty of recognition via the website, newspaper or local tv.

These are just some basic ideas, I think you get the drift.
Bottom line is, word of mouth is the best reference you could ever ask for.

JC

Coos Cues
OK, then let the rooms start charging the league players the going rate for everyone else, and see how long the leagues are still there. The leagues are booming because the people get to play for free basically. They have a set weekly fee, and that's it. Rooms can't survive without paying customers.

Around here, league players get a huge reduction in cost per table at all times, you still don't see them in the rooms outside of league night. Rooms have bent over backwards for them, to no avail. Rooms need to build up actual pool players, just social players doesn't cut it on the rooms bottom line.

The rub is that pool players, real players, are broke and tight unless it's flushing what little money they have gambling. There are always exceptions but this is the rule. These people will not buy table time no matter how cheap you make it. Most of the enthusiastic players who are not broke have realized you can get your own practice setup at home for next to nothing these days. They also will not buy significant table time even though they can afford to. It's a perfect storm alright, for sinking pool.

Fortunately, like cockroaches pool will not get extinct. There is too much durable equipment already in existence that will be around for hundreds of years. It will just find a low level to exist at and that will be it. Sadly we are nowhere near the bottom yet. Those with big plans based on pool are headed for yet more heartache.

JC

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I turned around my Billiard Club by focusing my advertising and marketing to target three types of people in the age range of 21-28.....these thee types are women, ladies, and girls of all creeds, colors and ethnicities utilizing the "law of attraction".

The current pool rooms are a HUGE turnoff to these three types of customers. And without them, you end up with what's normal now, a room full of men, guys, and boys. The rule is "people attract people like themselves," so once the women are "run off" the magnetism of the place takes an unattractive downturn.

There's many ways to attract women to a pool themed establishment, however, you must understand that they want safety, cleanliness, atmosphere, respect, salads on the menu, preferential treatment, protection from "pervs", VIP treatment when appropriate......this formula is universally successful in the bar business, it's just too bad it's infrequently used in the pool room business. 'The Attraction Game is the Teacher'

I agree although those places are more like social events and not really what serious pool players like , also you better have a dam good location to have more than one or two night a week packed house , we have had several in our area most closed down after the smoking ban

The reality is pool can't stand on its own 2 feet its a secondary attraction that's why you need all these other things to put people at the table

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
female clientele is the "secret" to success.....ignore this and you're missing out.

Sounds like the kind of place I might find interesting and might even go to on a regular basis. Don't mistake me, I am happily married, but I have learned that atmosphere is one of my priorities.

Yes, happily married or not, most men like to be in the presence of attractive females and if they are not around they {at least unconsciously} know they could spend their time in "better" places. Doing EVERYTHING you can do to provide outstanding service to the female clientele is the "secret" to success.....ignore this and you're missing out.

I know there are some that will scorn this simple marketing plan, and that's fine, I do understand why. From the pure business end what I'm saying is profound in it's effectiveness. Women are the key to the billiard club business, plain and simple.

If your pool room isn't doing well I don't even have to look inside, I can tell you that you don't have enough attractive women. I can also guess that your bathrooms aren't "women friendly" and that probably goes for your menu, music (please don't tell me you have a jukebox), it's the "kiss of death" to let your customers control the music/atmosphere).

I wouldn't take ANY amount of money to have a jukebox - in effect, you're handing over the "keys" of your atmosphere to anyone with a quarter. :eek: And no, it doesn't matter how good the music is on the jukebox or that it has an automatic element that keeps the music from stopping. There's no excuse for not controlling the music, yet this vital component is so often neglected. I can discuss for an hour why music is so important.

The management is key to maintaining a healthy, safe environment for the ladies - lude, sexist behavior can NOT be tolerated in any way, shape or form. 'The Attraction Game is the Teacher'

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There's a distinct lack of concern for the patrons themselves.
Remember this is the age of selfishness. What's in it for me?

The old marketing adage is still true: it takes far less money to keep your current customers happy than to gain new ones. So how do you keep them happy enough to stay, spend money, and bring in their friends? Feed their ego and give them a reason to be loyal. Nothing trumps dissatisfaction more than loyalty. This is true in many aspects of life.

How do you create loyalty? There are lots of ways, but the bottom line is, people want to be recognized, they want to be a part of something, they want to feel special, and they want something to be proud of.

Find (or create) ways to include and recognize the common customer. Greet them by name when they arrive, and wish them well when they leave. Ask their opinion ( even if you don't want or need it) about your room, its amenities and features.

For example, put up a bulletin board (or a gallery on your website) to display photos of your customers having fun, winning etc. ( like the 300 club at the bowling alley or the triple xxx "180" club in the dart world)

Give out VIP or player of the month awards.
Ask customers for their favorite songs to put on the jukebox.
Find artists, cue makers or musicians in your customer base and display their work on your walls or play their music.

Create loyalty and pride for your room to the point that people will defend it.
Create a team and challenge other rooms, which will benefit both rooms.
Create a team and challenge other businesses. Joes bar and grill versus the first state bank. Back in the day, even the Chicago board of trade had a team.

Bring in the youth, which brings in the parents and relatives. And of course creates new players and customers for the future. Create school versus school teams, or east side versus west side, and give them plenty of recognition via the website, newspaper or local tv.

These are just some basic ideas, I think you get the drift.
Bottom line is, word of mouth is the best reference you could ever ask for.

Great thread and right on the nose. Thank you. You know something. Johnnyt

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree although those places are more like social events and not really what serious pool players like , also you better have a dam good location to have more than one or two night a week packed house , we have had several in our area most closed down after the smoking ban

The reality is pool can't stand on its own 2 feet its a secondary attraction that's why you need all these other things to put people at the table

C.J.'s was a classy joint that attracted the social players but don't think it lacked action. The action players showed class to though.

That is the kind of pool hall that will bring the image of pool up imo. The atmosphere was great, the equipment was great and the people were great. It was a very clean place that the average joe would feel comfortable at and that's important imo.

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
OK, then let the rooms start charging the league players the going rate for everyone else, and see how long the leagues are still there. The leagues are booming because the people get to play for free basically. They have a set weekly fee, and that's it. Rooms can't survive without paying customers.

Around here, league players get a huge reduction in cost per table at all times, you still don't see them in the rooms outside of league night. Rooms have bent over backwards for them, to no avail. Rooms need to build up actual pool players, just social players doesn't cut it on the rooms bottom line.

I am a league player, tournament player, and I also like to practice (drill). I play league once per week because family duties are a priority for me. I only play the local league so I am qualified to play the larger state and national events. Otherwise I wouldn't play league at all. I go to my local bar to practice and gamble once in a while. I believe that one of the reasons for the decrease in the number of pool players is the perception that pool players that are good are "Hustlers". My wife even shakes her finger at me and tells me I shouldn't hustle others. Pool is also generally played in a bar. Where I live people smoke in bars so my wife will NEVER go to hang out while I play. Children aren't allowed in bars so I can't bring my son in until he is old enough. By then I am not sure his interest in pool will remain. I know I had something else on my mind at 18.

If a pool room wants to attract better "League Players" and also promote a better quality of pool then a pool room could award the better players. Maybe give a prize to the person with the best winning record using that pool room as a home bar. The leagues themselves should be doing this anyway, but I have seen many that don't recognize the better players.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you're missing some important factors. First, drinks: regulars don't drink much, but league players do, and profit margins on drinks are high. 1 league team that plays 40 weeks a year is about 6 players each week with, from my experience, an average check of $30/head + $4/head to the host for table time. Even if they don't come in at other times (and I'd guess that about 1/3 do), that's 40*30*6 = $7,200 per team per year in revenue. Those are good, regular customers. With a 75% profit margin on food and beverage, that's $5,400 to cover overhead and profit.

Second, league nights are not chosen at random. Locations host leagues on nights that would otherwise be slow: sunday - wednesday, and sometimes thursday or weekend afternoons. That makes all the profit gravy, not cannibalization of money that would otherwise come in.

Also, your description of league players not wanting to get better applies to some, but in my experience, that's a minority. Many of them don't work very hard to get better, but many do. Few actively try to not get better or are upset when they do.

Cory

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
In business Its all about THE CUSTOMER

I turned around my Billiard Club by focusing my advertising and marketing to target three types of people in the age range of 21-28.....these thee types are women, ladies, and girls of all creeds, colors and ethnicities utilizing the "law of attraction".

The current pool rooms are a HUGE turnoff to these three types of customers. And without them, you end up with what's normal now, a room full of men, guys, and boys. The rule is "people attract people like themselves," so once the women are "run off" the magnetism of the place takes an unattractive downturn.

'There's many ways to attract women to a pool themed establishment, however, you must understand that they want safety, cleanliness, atmosphere, respect, salads on the menu, preferential treatment, protection from "pervs", VIP treatment when appropriate......this formula is universally successful in the bar business,s just too bad it's infrequently used in the pool room business. 'The Attraction Game is the Teacher'

The bars and the poolrooms are 2 different animals in this area.
the bars are out in the country, the poolrooms are in the city.

Both have leagues.

The bars have pool B/C its all they do around here (drink & play pool)
The poolroom(s) rely on food & beverage sales.

There aren't too many attractive women in either place. :(
I go to the poolroom to play the players. Attractive women are just eye-candy <----- Did I really just say that ?!? :eek:

I go to the bars to have a few and bang some with league players. There are only 2 bars (currently) I'll get/play action .

I guess bottom line it does indeed boil-down to "who" your customer base is made from.
Great posts CJ ! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lamenting the loss of the pool room and the individual player mentality is a waste of time. Somewhat liking singing the virtues of the horse and complaining about the noise of the automobile (personally I prefer the horse but that is another story).

The numbers are simply not there and it becomes a matter of learning to live with the new reality.

At one time the cost of a pool table and the space required was beyond the reach of the average person. Today, any serious player will have his own table so why should he go to a public room with all the stigma attached to such places. For a few years I ran a weekly tournament in my home in Ohio for friends and had a great time with 10 – 15 like minded people in attendance most weeks

Sure the people today play on toy tables in bars and then only once a week for an hour or so while they can continue in the somewhat pathological phenomena of adopting a team as member of the family. But that is where we are. Some of these people get serious about the game and they go buy there own table – so why go to a room unless it offers more than I already have at home.

Here in our active retirement community we have four Gold Crown IIIs and it doesn't cost anything to play. There is a tournament everyday and the people who come around are all similar to me in outlook and background – so why go to some public room.

In fact there is a weekly tournament in the town near here and I have been to a few. In our area there are probably twenty communities like mine and from 10 – 40 casual players in each community. I have seen less than ten of these people at the local public room tournaments and less than that on a daily basis. The local public room has too many “red necks” (for lack of a better word) and while the room is nice the people who hang out there are simply too obnoxious. I would rather play in our community room where the atmosphere is much better.

About a year ago I stopped going to the local public room where there are several players much of the time because the crowd is simply too obnoxious. I can't be too far off in my assessment because I would guess that I know a hundred or so guys who are players and few, if any, of them are to be found in the local rooms.

Even us old guys are moving on.

Joe, I do agree with a lot of what you are saying. With the cost of table time today, it is cheaper to buy your own table if you are going to spend any actual time playing. And, I mostly agree that lamenting the loss of the pool room and the individual player is a waste of time. It's not going to change. However, what you are suggesting we all go to....I believe that is the life-support stage of pool. There is no coming back from it, it's on it's death-bed.

While there is still life in pool, I'm not for advocating it go to the next step before burying it all together. Without the pool rooms, pool can only go down to the likes of, as someone else said, bean-bag tossing. I really don't see how that is going to make pool grow at all.

I don't remember who just said it above, I can't look now, but someone wisely stated that poolrooms need to start catering to actual business. Not just open the door and hope people walk in and then rape those few that do. They need to start doing things themselves to promote pool play. Get lessons going, show people what can be done, and how much fun the game can be when you can actually make more than 1 out every 6 shots you try. There are lots of things that can be done in rooms that very, very few ever even think of trying.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're missing some important factors. First, drinks: regulars don't drink much, but league players do, and profit margins on drinks are high. 1 league team that plays 40 weeks a year is about 6 players each week with, from my experience, an average check of $30/head + $4/head to the host for table time. Even if they don't come in at other times (and I'd guess that about 1/3 do), that's 40*30*6 = $7,200 per team per year in revenue. Those are good, regular customers. With a 75% profit margin on food and beverage, that's $5,400 to cover overhead and profit.

Second, league nights are not chosen at random. Locations host leagues on nights that would otherwise be slow: sunday - wednesday, and sometimes thursday or weekend afternoons. That makes all the profit gravy, not cannibalization of money that would otherwise come in.

Also, your description of league players not wanting to get better applies to some, but in my experience, that's a minority. Many of them don't work very hard to get better, but many do. Few actively try to not get better or are upset when they do.

Cory

Different areas I guess. Around here, you have a few league players that spend $$ quite freely, the majority don't. (anyone in this area doesn't believe me, just ask the managers of the two rooms left)Here, leagues are Mon-Thurs. Fri-Sun. is an empty room except for playoffs time. Here there are over 200 teams. Many of those players play on multiple teams, so figure about 400 people or so. Out of that 400 you can count on one hand the amount of players that are really trying to get better.

Pool as us older guys know it is almost dead and buried. It won't be coming back because it's up to the younger generation to do it now, and they don't even really have a clue of what they are missing. They think what they have is great, and us older guys look at pool today the same as playing the pinball machines when there is nothing else to do. Pool today is not what "real" pool is to many of us.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Cory

This is my experience, as well.

On Tuesday night's, we will have between 80-120 people playing in our small town, and close to that many on Thursdays. Without league, the rooms wouldn't have a fraction of the tables being used, and certainly a MUCH lower bar take.

One thing about league sterotypes that is somewhat accurate is that many like to drink. At least here. The profit on just a couple drinks will more than cover the lost table time, and folks here will drink far more than a couple.

Do most players wanna "go up", no. But that doesnt mean they dont play on nights other than league nights, I play with many on the weekends, and often on other weeknights. (Last night six of us from league were the only people in the room, playing and having a beer or two.). And there are some of us that are working on our games, as well.

Without the league's here, pool would be far more "dead". It might not be the kind of pool you want, Neil, but the thread is about keeping rooms open.

I agree with those who say that the room owners need to be actively involved.

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... Leagues should be good for pool but are not. In my experience, you have to be both a business person and a player. And, by player I mean someone that knows and understands the game, not just someone who plays pool...

Please tell me you really don't mean this - leagues are bad for pool and a player = someone that knows, understands...

You may think its better for you personally, but to me, it sounds 'elitist' - that itself contributes to the death of a pool room.

My personal thought is leagues more than Grampa teaching his Grandson, is what drives new players. Spark an interest and a guy puts a little money in a cue, then maybe goes from the bar to a pool room, maybe a tournament.

A simple pyramid of players to skill ratio - leagues have many more "players" in them than. Figure out a way to get them hooked.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The day a juke box entered a pool room was the beginning of the downfall of the game. Only the very young can tolerate the variety of loud music that juke boxes spit out. So with a juke box, you've just kicked out half your pool playing population. The same goes for video games. They only work if they're in a contained area well away from the playing area.

A big part of the problem is in fact, that pool room owners are trying to squeeze out profits from too many sources. Pool tables, a bar, and leagues, with control over the music depending on the time of day and day of the week are a formula that I've seen work.

Management has to be hands-on. They can't just open their doors and then come back later to pick up the cash. They have to put themselves in the mix with their customers and find out what works and what isn't working.

Decent fast food helps as well. I think a full blown restaurant and all the headaches that go with it isn't necessary.

Personally, I prefer the loud music, so I do not have to hear old pool players (who aren't playing) sit around and talk about their large prostates.

Mr. Forsyth mentioned the youth deficit. There are very few young people playing pool, contintuing to play pool, and starting to play pool. Regardless, of what pool does, if it does not accommodate youth, it WILL die.

I don't have all the answers, but I think the age old ideas of a little bit of money from every aspect of the business is failing too many rooms (while maybe working for others).

Ultimately, I think pool has to reach a more wealthly demographic. This is more likely to attract quality sponsors to events and players. I know a lot of sponsors want to reach the 18 - 35 demographic. Again, it would seem pool needs a way to reach youth.

I wonder how the PGA grew into what it is? How did it go from guys on a golf course to a central part of advertising for investment services? Until then, I do think it is a good idea for pool rooms to be creative. One room here has taken to adding wiffle ball, shuffle board, drinking games, and homemade food. I think this is a terrible idea, but he hasn't closed yet.

I would like to see creative solutions add an element of class and connection to professionalism and wealth. Brandy and Pool seems like an interesting idea, as Mr. Forsyth mentioned.

Just my 0.02

kollegedave

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excerpt from BBIA Newsletter

From the Billiard Front:
The pool table business has long been considered the barometer for the billiard industry’s general health, and several years of declining table volume, as well as declining average ticket prices at the retail level, has both manufacturers and dealers scrambling to find solutions.

The declines in table manufacturing, down as much as 20 percent for some suppliers over the past two years, and average retail ticket price, which has also dropped as much as 20 percent over the past three years, follow several years of steady growth during which manufacturers reasonably expected annual table growth rates of 5-10 percent or more.

Speculation as to why the billiard industry has changed so dramatically in recent years runs the gamut from market saturation due to the proliferation of import models, to mass merchant warehouse distribution channel expansion, and from a decline in housing starts to the rise in gas prices.

Regardless, the industry is faced with accepting the fact that consumer purchasing has changed, and must assess ways to maintain relevance in the changing retail landscape. Today’s consumer, considered by some to be “spoiled”, have high expectations and demands a sales experience customized to their needs. Fortunately for those in the home game room category, those customers are usually willing to pay for products offered in an innovative environment.

To meet those demands, retailers, manufacturers and distributors alike face the challenge of reevaluating their business model. Retailers may be forced to carry new import lines, expand into other related product categories, or provide additional choices on existing product. Manufacturers may have to convert from solely manufacturing to either becoming an importer or some hybrid mixing current capabilities with imported product.

The BBIA offers a forum for retailers, distributors and manufacturers to meet in a relaxed atmosphere to openly exchange ideas. The open exchange of ideas results in better solutions matching business models to customer needs. Meeting those needs is the fastest way; and longer-term, perhaps the least costly means of maximizing success. Today’s billiards’ climate makes the BBIA and the opportunity for the exchange of ideas even more important in achieving every business’s goal. That goal is, of course, to make money.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the basic problem is keeping poolrooms alive. If they all die the game dies with them.

Jerry, I have to intereject "If pool was ok, the poolrooms would be ok."

I am not so quick to point my finger at all the causes listed in this thread. I think the problem may lie within the game itself. What worked in the last century may not be right for this century.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I can tell you one crazy new idea that most pool rooms are NOT trying:
Good, well-maintained equipment.

So many guys are looking to do a poolroom/whatever combo,
that they end up half-assing the poolroom part.

Yeah yeah, I know the theory... only a handful of pool players are serious
enough to care. But I think there's more of us than they realize and we'll shoot
for 6 hours a night if the equipment's right.

I absolutely do not go there for the sandwiches, jukebox, drink specials, cigar bar,
internet darts, or live music. If that was my main thing, I wouldn't go to a pool hall,
I'd go to a bar.

Here's a wild idea First Break in Sterling VA is trying...
Screaming speed metal on Saturday nights.

This is a player's room with freshly-done diamonds with pro-cut pockets.
What the...?!

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
Finally...someone is taking notice

Here is what I posted in November 2009 on the Room Owners sub-form.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=162246

(excerpt)

Here we are:
1) Tight economy
2) Smoking Laws
3) No industry support
4) League systems
What can room owners do?

Let’s first acknowledge the fact that rooms will open and close and be run by other facets of the industry, even though the room is the heart of the whole pool industry. Owners don’t really have a say in what is happening. Currently that is dependent upon the whims of cue makers, table providers, legislators, etc.

If you are experiencing a downturn in income there is only one solution, diversify and look for cheaper ways of doing business. Here are some suggestions from my own experiences. The number one mistake that hurting rooms do is to devalue the pool in hopes of getting more players. DO NOT LOWER PRICES OR EVER GIVE AWAY POOL FREE. You will only close quicker. Your income erodes from the regulars and you are not selling enough to make up for the loss of table revenue. Here are some easy diversification and business ideas.

1) If you are currently selling food and drink, don’t allow outside food and drink past your door. If you are selling canned or bottled soda, get a premix machine from Pepsi or Coke. That will increase your profit per sale, you can even give more product and raise your price.

2) If you aren’t selling food, find a premade sandwich vendor, get a hot dog machine or make frozen pizzas like the bars do. By adding food, you will not be losing customers when they get hungry. Best of all you won’t have to add employees if you keep everything at the control counter. That person will just be busier. Players are old enough to come to the counter for what they need.

3) Add a variety of candy and snacks that can be sold from the counter.

4) Increase your inventory, or start an inventory of impulse buy accessories.

5) Purchase a cue tipping lathe so you can do customer cues. The more commonly used tips can net you a $10 gross income per tip. Shape and de-mushroom any tip that you install. Charge for anyone that you don’t install.

6) If you sell cues, diversify your brands and don’t try to compete with internet pricing. Explain to the customers why they benefit buying from you (explained earlier in this post). Even if you have to order a cue for them, let them know that if they don’t like it you will put it in your inventory. That only pertains to cues that you can handle and have a fair chance of selling. Ask for 50% down before you order to find out how serious the customer is.

7) If you decide to diversify to a full kitchen, keep the menu simple. This is a more expensive route so be sure of yourself if you are going to invest the money. In most cases you will not be getting droves of customers from the outside world. Hamburgers, fries, chicken strips, onion rings and their variations are usually plenty to satisfy your current customers. Make you plates full and keep your total food cost around 40% to easily compete with any restaurant. You’ll make up the difference on the premix machine.

8) If your business is still not gaining ground, you should seriously think about alcohol. I know that is a scary proposition. Before even getting serious, check out the laws pertaining to such a change. You don’t want to lose your 21 and under business. If you can do it based on the bowling alley model of laws, terrific. That means that alcohol can be served and consumed with minors present. You don’t need to go right to hard liquor. Many places allow for a strong beer license and, if successful, expand to the hard liquor. Understand that there will be many added costs to do business.

9) If you currently don’t have Junior Leagues. START THEM NOW! You are investing in your future. Where exactly do you think the next generation of players is coming from? They won’t just wander in. Do what it takes to create a league. When it is going, spend time with them and always give at least a half hour of instruction before play. Teach them etiquette, different games, rules, etc. Make it “The thing to do” in your room draw area.

10) Greet and say goodbye to every customer and do it by name. If you don’t know their name, FIND OUT. This makes every customer feel at ease and they know that they have found a friendly place to spend their time and money. It is your job to talk with every stranger that comes in and try to match them up with a player so they immediately have a “friend”. You should know the players that gamble and those that don’t and the varying skill levels.

11) Added money tournaments are just a form of advertising to get players that you normally don’t get in the room. Remember, always charge a greens fee (no FREE pool). Once a player is out of the tournament they cannot play for free until the tournament is done. They go on time. Use your skills and try to turn them into a customer. If you are adding $100 to a tournament, you need to do about $300 in extra sales (any sales) just to make up for the $100investment. If you add more, it is always a factor of 3 that is the breakeven point. Owners, if you can’t do that, then wait for the players to start clamoring for a tournament so you have a chance to break even.

12) Cut you advertising budget, especially if you can’t quantify the results. Most advertising for rooms doesn’t have any effect on John Q. Public, only players.

13) If you don’t have electronic games, find a vendor and some space and put them in. That space can be a gold mine.

14) Buy used lockers and rent them to customers so they don’t have to carry their cue back and forth. Don’t store them for free. Too much liability. If you are taking the risk, might as well minimize it and make a few dollars.

I’m stopping at those suggestions for now. If they help, wonderful, let me know. I just have one final thought or dream as the case may be. I don’t know how many room owners visit this site, but, wouldn’t it be nice if we could unite in a room owners’ organization that had the power to dictate to all the entities that make a living off our backs.