What's the deal with pool players? A sport for angry and shitty people it seems

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the real answer

Ego and showing off: "I'm a great player. Playing like this is so unlike me I just can't control myself!"

I have long ago lost count of how many pistol competitions I have been at. In all that time not one person has lost control and smashed a pistol. Nobody has ever even waved one around with several dozen other heavily armed people around them!

Some places tolerate showing out or a "pet" or two gets away with acting stupid. Pretty soon every kid in the place is acting the same way, some that are just kids mentally, not in years, too!

I bought my own cues, cars, rifles, pistols, everything I have competed with. Never have been tempted enough to destroy any of it for my stupid behavior. I have broken a cue shaft, it was experimental and turned out to be garbage. I didn't want it running around with my name on it. I broke a few dozen house cues too, but that was just to get out the door in the bad ol' days before I learned how to gamble. A house cue was twelve bucks. I'd throw a twenty on the bar on the way out and was always welcome back in a few weeks or months at most!

I heard a story once of a fellow who broke house cues and the cheap jointed cues he owned when he lost. Saved his nickels and dimes and bought a several thousand dollar cue, big big dollars at the time. Played poorly one night and had a few beers in him. Whack! Shattered the butt of the cue across a table rail. Realized what he had done a second too late. He spent several minutes picking up all the tiny bits and pieces and scattered inlays. The cue builder wasn't sympathetic to his problem.

Another fellow was playing pretty high dollar sets, lost a couple and smashed his cue. Wanted to play some more and got somebody to loan him a cue. Lost, and you guessed it! Then he wanted to borrow another cue to play some more. Didn't happen.

Anybody wants to show out is welcome to do it on their own dime. They just announced they are about 99% certain to be a poser. Sure a player has been known to smash a cue but for every player that does, a bunch of copycats that want people to think they are a player do.

Hu

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was brought up with the emotion was no emotion, in any sport.

Drives your opponent mad, when you react the same no matter the outcome.

For those of you young enough, I tried to model my behavior to emulate Jack Nicklaus.

Some people are born differently, and some are jerks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I saw plenty of whining from Jack

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For whatever reason, pool attracts some really slimy people.
I have been playing over 50 years and thought I had seen about everything twice .
Then I ran into the "jitterbug", he has them all beat by at least the 3 out.
I have witnessed so many of these people, that it almost makes me not want to play again , except, I know that karma is coming to get them.
And it's a *****.

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The deal is the "sport" or "game"'s arenas are places where alcohol is served. Where's there's alcohol there's drunken stupors, douchebaggery, among other drugs. You need a place to house slate tables and the game and economics of business establishments make it so you can't simply run an Ames (like in The Hustler).

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The deal is the "sport" or "game"'s arenas are places where alcohol is served. Where's there's alcohol there's drunken stupors, douchebaggery, among other drugs. You need a place to house slate tables and the game and economics of business establishments make it so you can't simply run an Ames (like in The Hustler).

Wait, other sporting events serve alcohol and Ames did have shity people in it in the movie. You might want to rethink this.

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, other sporting events serve alcohol and Ames did have shity people in it in the movie. You might want to rethink this.

I talking about Bars man. Nothing good happening in Bars. And all the people at Ames were awesome wtf are you talking about? :D

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
To address sam's post a little more directly, the pool table, like many other games, will ultimately reveal the true character of any man who takes it seriously. At the very least, to yourself.

Not all pool players are asshats, and not all pool players are gentlemen, but play a set with me and I'll have a pretty good idea of where you stand when it's all said and done.

Did that make you uncomfortable?

Good :cool:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
90% of what Sam knows about pool he has learned from reality T.V.:smile:

Gary, Ross, Amy... that's where he is getting it.

His goal is to be on that list within 5 years.

Those characters are reality. I've been in money games and seen much worse. LoL I've been in 14.1 money games and seen broken sticks over missed shots. Gary, Ross and Amy might seem over the top to you, but they're pretty sanitized to me and downright cleansed to what you see in the green room at the DCC

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those characters are reality. I've been in money games and seen much worse. LoL I've been in 14.1 money games and seen broken sticks over missed shots. Gary, Ross and Amy might seem over the top to you, but they're pretty sanitized to me and downright cleansed to what you see in the green room at the DCC

I think you missed the joke.:smile:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talking about Bars man. Nothing good happening in Bars. And all the people at Ames were awesome wtf are you talking about? :D

No I hear what you are saying though. I grew up in rooms that were hardcore, lots of action, lots of drugs, etc. And I've also hung out in a room that catered to college kids and local businessmen etc... there was very little action and even hot single girls used to come in there to hang out. The second is the best for pools image by far and in the big picture its pools image that attracts the characters.

Ames was a little closer to the first pool room I mentioned is what I was saying.

Last edited:

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever play the gentleman's game, golf. I've seen more golf clubs broken than pool cues.

Some examples of Tiger Woods
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9HqAIq7OXwM

There is definitely something going on with pool players.

Everyone just seem to always be so angry when they are missing a shot or having a bad game. You don't see tennis players throwing their tennis racquet or golf club (well, for that one, at least less often!) or break their hockey stick everytime they miss a shot!

It does happen, yes, but it happens so often with pool players, I am a bit in disbelief. I have only been playing for 3 months and I already saw 2 people break their cue and about 5-7 being thrown on the table/ground. I've seen my share of people hitting forcefully the cueball or the 9 with their hand after missing the shot to win the rack. I've even seen someone do a push at break speed! It hit the 9, it flew off table and hit a player on another table! Needless to say the guy was out of the tournament.

And now, I keep seeing these threads on here about people being ripped off by cuemakers and what not.

What's the deal? Why does pool seem to attract all the shitty people?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is Ames

Fast Eddie dumped his road buddy, Charlie... and Bert ?

"YOU OWE ME MONNNNEEYYYY!!!!"

Attachments

• TheHustler2.jpg
    TheHustler2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 155

ivicafranic

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In passive and especially in individual sports self confidence and self control is highly important and is much easier to get nervous.
Wendy once said: Don't ask if you don't like the answer.
She is here and well:):):):p:):):)