Who is Jack Hines?

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran around with Jack for a couple of years in Ohio putting him in action and of all the players I have ever seen (and yes I have seen them all) ReRack Jack was the most entertaining on the pool table ever. when he was in stroke you seen more balls fired at 100 miles an hour and three rail shape then any player out there. Backing him was let's say a bit scary he didn't do much easy on the table. He played Buddy at an Ohio State open and talk about contrast Buddy's cue would move a foot and jack's would travel 27 feet. I remember one night he stepped into Starcher's very flush after a big score and he offered a good shortstop the Blue thru on the barbox. The shortstop thought he had the nuts Jack won the flip and ran 16 on him:eek: 17th rack cueball kicked in or he might have ran out for a week. Great player just got caught up in drugs

HOSS22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first time I met Jack Heinz I did not like him at all, I was with my highschool sweetheart at a tournament in Kentucky in Buddy Hall's home town. I was pretty full of myself and drew Jack in the semi finals, I introduced myself to him politely as we were going to have to play our match in an hour or so and he said if you can beat me you can win some seriouse cash kid. I was wiping the balls down with a clean cloth, Jack grabbed the cloth out of my hand and inspected the towel closely, he asked me what I was putting on the balls and I said "nothing Jack the towel is clean." He then threw the towel back in my face, I did not win the match cause I was so frustrated. I did notice however he had one of the most solid breaks I had ever seen, with an unusual style where whitey jumped high of the table and parked in the middle almost everytime. He told me that if he got the bomb working it was all over.
A few yrs later I met Jack again in Tulsa,OK he was playing well and spotting Gabe Owen playing 9 ball (Gabe was very young), there was that break again and this was before the bike accident. Not only did he have an incredible break he ran out like a wild animal, his style of play reminded me a little of Louie Roberts. He was living on the edge but you could see in his game that he had an incredible desire to play top level 9 ball, I think if you were to ask Gabe if he enjoyed competing against Jack that day he would have said yes and considered a good learning experience. This would have been about 1996, I was the house pro at the pool room known for great equipment and plenty of top young talented players. Jack knew I was the house pro and we played some pay ball on a lightning fast snooker table. While we were playing I noticed he had something moving in his shirt, sure enough after our match I asked him what he had in his shirt. He said OK "I will show you but you must not tell anyone OK" I agreed, from the coller of his shirt an iguana peeked out and Jack said this one's name is Gordy. His girlfriend at the time who seemed nice told Jack that she thought they should go back home, she said they were selling iguanas and living in their car. To which Jack replied just give me 57 day's, Heinz 57 baby and we will be allright then, Jack seemed to take a liken' to me and asked if anyone wanted to buy some iguanas in bulk. I asked him how many he had and where he was keeping them, look at the lights he said. Now this was a nice place with plenty of people and as I began to look around sure enough there was maybe five or six tables where the lizards had camoflauged on top of the green lights. People had no idea that they had a lizard on the light of there pool table light I found this really funny plus Jack loved the lizards probably as much as anything and I think he took good care of them. I asked him why he had them under his shirt and he said they love the heat, and when I play pool my body temp goes up.
Jack was a moody fellow who had some demons chasing him - but show me a top player on the road who does not share some of these same traits and there is a real oddball. Over all I liked Jack and respected his love for the game, no one plays like he did who does not love the game and love showing everyone how well 9 ball can be played. I learned what I could from him and also how life can get hard. I think God shows us people who have unfortunate situations so we can learn from it, I was just too caught up in myself to grasp this concept.He was capable of hitting a major gear and it was a sight to behold when he was on I can assure you. The last time I spoke to Jack I was headed off to church with my ex girlfriend, he asked me where I was going as I was all dressed up. I told him we were going to church he asked me to say a prayer for him and so I did, I hope he is doing well even though I did not like him at first I do think he had some good in him for sure.

GREAT story danny and props for the prayer for jack!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats Jack going to do to cover up that big mouth of his???

Jack is capable of being civil as many have already said.He would have to wear gloves to hide his rough hands.Rough hands,that he claims come from being a construction worker! LOL

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Glad this thread came back. Someone needs to do a documentary on the gunslinging wild west of pool from the 70s-90s.

Some great great great posts here with a ton of wisdom and instruction about the game and life.

doublej487

valleys are 2 tight
Silver Member
Glad this thread came back. Someone needs to do a documentary on the gunslinging wild west of pool from the 70s-90s.

Some great great great posts here with a ton of wisdom and instruction about the game and life.

keep this bumped

John Brumback

Silver Member
I taught Jack how to jump a ball. I've been around him alot.Of all the stories I have read here about him...they are all true.

He did have one of the most amazing breaks playing 9ball that I have ever seen to this day.Well SVB comes close.The cball didn't just bounce back to the middle,it jumped all the way back to the head string!!:eek:

He really was something else.He could tell some of the funniest jokes you have heard too.

Oh and by the way,if anyone sees him tell him I'm still looking for that saver he owes me from the finals of some tourney In WV,LOL You could hate the guy one minute and like the hell out out of him the next.

I was there when Earl talked Joe Kerr into letting Jack play the match after he had been late.( I was standing right there)That was one of the funniest things I have ever watched.Only Earl S. would and could do that and he drilled Jack,by the way.It would really be something if he could write a book about his days on the road.I wish I could remember more.He was something is all i can think of right now. John B.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I taught Jack how to jump a ball. I've been around him alot.Of all the stories I have read here about him...they are all true.

He did have one of the most amazing breaks playing 9ball that I have ever seen to this day.Well SVB comes close.The cball didn't just bounce back to the middle,it jumped all the way back to the head string!!:eek:

He really was something else.He could tell some of the funniest jokes you have heard too.

Oh and by the way,if anyone sees him tell him I'm still looking for that saver he owes me from the finals of some tourney In WV,LOL You could hate the guy one minute and like the hell out out of him the next.

I was there when Earl talked Joe Kerr into letting Jack play the match after he had been late.( I was standing right there)That was one of the funniest things I have ever watched.Only Earl S. would and could do that and he drilled Jack,by the way.It would really be something if he could write a book about his days on the road.I wish I could remember more.He was something is all i can think of right now. John B.

i saw him in Houston at the Houston Open about 3-4 years ago. he ws still ad incredible character and still bumming drinks.
if he said it once he said 20 times that day," I always lived in the moment and never in the mystery"!
That night he asked my wife to dance and she ust grabbed her purse and clutched it to her chest
Denis and I about fell to the floor!

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agreed. I read most of the Books written by the Road players. Some are boring, and some are OK. If a book is written about Jack Hynes it will be number ONE.
The incidents involving Jack have Mystery, Adventure, Humor, Chicanary & Evil.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who did you teach to jump a ball first? Me or Jack...lol. I'm sure it was Jack. You had the jump shot down and I remember when I was 10 running around showing people how to jump sayin..." Brumback showed me how to jump!" I was so proud. Now if you would just show me how to bank!!!

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Jack Hynes, The Man

I've said this before , but the first time I ever seen Jack Hynes was back in the mid-90's. I remember walking into ( Country Calvin) my brother's night club in Texarkana,Arkansas and a pool ball was flung across the room into a wall.

I jumped around to see what was going on and saw that Calvin was playing this guy some 9-Ball, I ask Calvin who this clown was and he said I don't know but he is a champion!

Calvin was wearing his ass out getting the 8 ball playing 9-ball and Jack was furious that Calvin was playing so good but wouldn't play even, but Calvin somehow knew not to play Jack even.

Over the months to come I got to know Jack really well, he hung around Texarkana for several years in and out of town, and would stay at my place when in town.

Jack is a person if your on his good side he is a very caring man, but if your on his bad side, which most are he is the biggest S.O.B. that ever lived, he just doesn't have room in his life to be close to but a few people, why I don't really know, I guess in his eyes he see's everyone as a score!

When Jack was at the top of his game in the mid 90's until early 2000 when he entered a tournament all the players knew who was going to win, Jack!

That's the way it was, but he had a motorcycle accident and severely broke his leg and messed up his breaking arm rotor cup, so his game went down about 5 ball's but he still plays pretty good even with his game down like it is, he still plays petty pool but grinds out a living, I have his cell # and talk to him occasionally.

I like Jack, most don't, but Hey I'm on his good side!:)

David Harcrow

Last edited:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Jack Hynes, The Construction Worker

Jack is capable of being civil as many have already said.He would have to wear gloves to hide his rough hands.Rough hands,that he claims come from being a construction worker! LOL

Jack Hynes and I worked two different shutdown jobs at the Paper Mill in Domino,Texas.

Someone made a bet that he or I couldn't get a job, so we did these on a bet from a patron in my brother's bar.

We worked 7 twelve's for two months, made some great money, although Jack was always hard to find on the job, he stayed hid most of the time!, and that's the truth!

David Harcrow

FreeShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jack Hynes and I worked two different shutdown jobs at the Paper Mill in Domino,Texas.

Someone made a bet that he or I couldn't get a job, so we did these on a bet from a patron in my brother's bar.

We worked 7 twelve's for two months, made some great money, although Jack was always hard to find on the job, he stayed hid most of the time!, and that's the truth!

David Harcrow

I lol'ed. Great story.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Why hasn't someone collaborated with him to write an autobiography?? Surely, this would be a great roadie book if honestly written, and would make a great movie too. I think there would be substantial money in this, and, like The Hustler, would show the real underbelly of pool.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jumpn Jack

Sold his Cognishittist how he said it years ago to a local sweater. It was 21 ozs. Someone was telling a few of us how he beat Jack. Tortured him.
I said you didn't beat no Jumpin Jack Hines out of $hit.
He said I damn sure did. I started laughing. Jack was standing right there and said I'mm Jack Hines.
And the guy said no you aint!
Nick :)