World 14.1 Player List

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnnyt...I think you'd have to ask Dragon Promotions to get that answer. All I know, is that it was pulled, at the last minute. FTR, the players are aware of this development...so they are just playing for the cash (and of course the distinction of winning the tournament!).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Why was the santioning pulled? :angry:Johnnyt

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnnyt...I think you'd have to ask Dragon Promotions to get that answer. All I know, is that it was pulled, at the last minute. FTR, the players are aware of this development...so they are just playing for the cash (and of course the distinction of winning the tournament!).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks. I will try to ask Charlie why the WPA pulled the sanction. Maybe the WPA will be off my $hit list...or maybe not. Depending why it was pulled. Johnnyt

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you guys implying that this is no longer a World Championship event, if the WPA sanctioning has been lifted?

thefifteen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a very tight schedule for the European players, the expenses involved in playing compared to the prize money in a very tough field may be the reason some have elected not to play.

Very expensive to travel for one tournament.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Since this tournament is no longer sanctioned by the WPA, and therefore is not a "true" World Championship Vegar Kristiansen from Norway and the Norwegian Pool Federation has cancelled his participation.

Is there a reason why it is no longer sanctioned?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Sanction or not, if you win this, you are a world champion in my book. It's not the players fault nobody can figure out how to run the pool world. They shouldn't have to get the shaft due to politics, greed and bs. Good luck to all who are playing and may someone walk away a world champion.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why was the santioning pulled? :angry:Johnnyt

I'm going to give you the answer in a nutshell. MONEY! To sanction an event with the WPA, it costs a minimum of 7.5% of the total purse. For instance in a $100,000 tournament $7,500 would come off the top for sanctioning fees. Leaving $92,500 for the players. Sometimes this figure is adjusted to 10%! I'm not sure the criteria for doing that.

In other words that "sanctioning" money is coming out of the players pockets, unless the promoter agrees to pay the additional fee out of his own pocket. It's hard enough for a pool promoter to make it anyway, let alone having to pay thousands in additional fees. I would bet a dollar to a donut this had something (a lot) to do with it.

I'm not making any judgments on whether this policy is right or wrong, just stating the facts as I know them to be. I have an opinion about all this which I chose not to share publicly on this forum.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cleary...tap, tap, tap! This is field of champion players, and whoever wins, will certainly be worthy of the title, World Champion, imo.:thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Sanction or not, if you win this, you are a world champion in my book. It's not the players fault nobody can figure out how to run the pool world. They shouldn't have to get the shaft due to politics, greed and bs. Good luck to all who are playing and may someone walk away a world champion.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I'm going to give you the answer in a nutshell. MONEY! To sanction an event with the WPA, it costs a minimum of 7.5% of the total purse. For instance in a $100,000 tournament $7,500 would come off the top for sanctioning fees. Leaving $92,500 for the players. Sometimes this figure is adjusted to 10%! I'm not sure the criteria for doing that.

In other words that "sanctioning" money is coming out of the players pockets, unless the promoter agrees to pay the additional fee out of his own pocket. It's hard enough for a pool promoter to make it anyway, let alone having to pay thousands in additional fees. I would bet a dollar to a donut this had something (a lot) to do with it.

I'm not making any judgments on whether this policy is right or wrong, just stating the facts as I know them to be. I have an opinion about all this which I chose not to share publicly on this forum.

We are far beyond the time where we can afford to be politically correct.

IMO, if the WPA was worth their weight in horseshit, they would be able to find some entity somewhere to step in and get this event sanctioned. They should diligently do that to the point of exhaustion. Find the people, find the money. Its out there. Make the connections.

The pool world needs a sanctioning body that will step up to the plate and do that. Until that happens pool will continue to drift into obscurity. We are constantly victimizing ourselves with the political nonsense that does nothing but stunt the growth of the game.

FTR, I'm in a position to give my opinion and not give a damn what anybody up there thinks about it. Until we get the right people running the show, get used to this crap happening year after year.

The way I see it, if we build it, they will come. If the right people joined forces and recruited others to get on board, we could do it. Burst the bubble and start all over. Doing anything else is just pissing into the wind.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David...If I understand it correctly, the WPA sanction fee is only based on the added money, which is this case is $20K. That would make the sanction fee only $1000...probably too small for this to be the reason the sanctioning was pulled. It has to be some other reason. Someone suggested to me, that it could be related to missing organization deadlines, that the WPA is strict on. Whatever the reason, it's a shame, and it's the players who are hurt the most by this. That said, the players are aware of this, and have chosen to come compete anyway...like the true warriors they are! :thumbup:

GO MAX!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

We are far beyond the time where we can afford to be politically correct.

IMO, if the WPA was worth their weight in horseshit, they would be able to find some entity somewhere to step in and get this event sanctioned. They should diligently do that to the point of exhaustion. Find the people, find the money. Its out there. Make the connections.

The pool world needs a sanctioning body that will step up to the plate and do that. Until that happens pool will continue to drift into obscurity. We are constantly victimizing ourselves with the political nonsense that does nothing but stunt the growth of the game.

FTR, I'm in a position to give my opinion and not give a damn what anybody up there thinks about it. Until we get the right people running the show, get used to this crap happening year after year.

The way I see it, if we build it, they will come. If the right people joined forces and recruited others to get on board, we could do it. Burst the bubble and start all over. Doing anything else is just pissing into the wind.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
David...If I understand it correctly, the WPA sanction fee is only based on the added money, which is this case is $20K. That would make the sanction fee only $1000...probably too small for this to be the reason the sanctioning was pulled. It has to be some other reason. Someone suggested to me, that it could be related to missing organization deadlines, that the WPA is strict on. Whatever the reason, it's a shame, and it's the players who are hurt the most by this. That said, the players are aware of this, and have chosen to come compete anyway...like the true warriors they are! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott

It shouldn't matter. The problem we have here is that the game cannot afford to NOT have a world champion in 9 ball, straight pool, or any other game. We can't skip a few years like they did for the World Series during WWII. We don't have that luxury.

What gets put next to the asterisks when people research the history of the game? Lack of cooperation? Lack of money? Lack of common sense? I have a few more I would LOVE to toss in there, but I'll save those for later.

We need to wake up and realize that this is the end result of the way things are.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David...No argument from me! I think it's very likely all three of those, and some others too. You are right on target with your post! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott

It shouldn't matter. The problem we have here is that the game cannot afford to NOT have a world champion in 9 ball, straight pool, or any other game. We can't skip a few years like they did for the World Series during WWII. We don't have that luxury.

What gets put next to the asterisks when people research the history of the game? Lack of cooperation? Lack of money? Lack of common sense? I have a few more I would LOVE to toss in there, but I'll save those for later.

We need to wake up and realize that this is the end result of the way things are.

ding, ding, ding. We have the answer. Sanctioning, in this case, was pulled over money, pure and simple. Bleh.

And it's these reasons why neils and ralf won't be competing.

Whoever said, "build it and they will come", wasn't really correct. There were so many warnings, and suggestions that I had given since I "built" this, that were either dismissed or ignored, whi h is why we are where we are today. 2 weeks away from a fine straight pool event, but not a world championship.

I'm taking a break for awhile.............

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Since none of us really know, at this point, why the sanctioning has been pulled, I don't think we should be only pointing fingers at the WPA. Dragon Promotions has a history of trying to make up their own rules and not following the rules that are in place. Until the truth comes out, if it ever does, let's spread the blame around a little.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy...Was I correct, in my estimation of the sanction fee being only based on added $$$...and if so, wouldn't the fee be only $1K? That seems like a paltry amount, in the scheme of things, for a world event. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

ding, ding, ding. We have the answer. Sanctioning, in this case, was pulled over money, pure and simple. Bleh.

And it's these reasons why neils and ralf won't be competing.

Whoever said, "build it and they will come", wasn't really correct. There were so many warnings, and suggestions that I had given since I "built" this, that were either dismissed or ignored, whi h is why we are where we are today. 2 weeks away from a fine straight pool event, but not a world championship.

I'm taking a break for awhile.............

Randy...Was I correct, in my estimation of the sanction fee being only based on added $$$...and if so, wouldn't the fee be only $1K? That seems like a paltry amount, in the scheme of things, for a world event. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

The bottom line reason? There wasn't enough prize money. Sponsorship fell through. Stu and Harold stepped up at the last minute to save this years event. Now it's just a non sanctioned tournament.

This wasn't DP's fault or the fault of the WPA.

But, for me personally, it doesn't assuage any of my dissappointment or anger.

Rg