TAR 21: Pagulayan vs Van Boening. THE REMATCH !!!

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
While he is a semi celebrity, I would prefer Grady, Billy, Danny, John S, really lots of other people who are more knowledgeable about what will happen next.

How bout getting joe rogan to step in the commentating booth?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
While he is a semi celebrity, I would prefer Grady, Billy, Danny, John S, really lots of other people who are more knowledgeable about what will happen next.

Joe is nowhere near the level as the people you described but I can tell you, he can play. I've watched him play with a strong player he holds up. He knows what to do.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
It's understood he can play, hell I can play.

Playing pool is not a prerequisite for commentating. You wouldn't put Jay on Danny, Billy, or Grady's level, but he's a great commentator.

The people I'm talking about are the type of caliber of commentators you want for an event like this.

Joe is nowhere near the level as the people you described but I can tell you, he can play. I've watched him play with a strong player he holds up. He knows what to do.

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
It might just be me, but I struggle to watch a match when Danny is on the mic. Grady is my fav.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
It's understood he can play, hell I can play.

Playing pool is not a prerequisite for commentating. You wouldn't put Jay on Danny, Billy, or Grady's level, but he's a great commentator.

The people I'm talking about are the type of caliber of commentators you want for an event like this.

This is kind of funny to me. You do know Joe makes part of his living as a commentator for the fastest growing TV sport in the world right?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
It might just be me, but I struggle to watch a match when Danny is on the mic. Grady is my fav.

I was asked to join the United States Billiard Media Association this year and as a part of that I get to vote on the BCA Hall Of Fame elections. I voted for Danny to go in this year based on his accomplishments and long devotion to the game.

That said, I cant fade his commentary. Different strokes for different folks but eight hours of Danny D would put me over the edge. I respect the hell out of what he has done but something in his presentation is nails on a chalkboard to me.

I wonder what Earl is doing that weekend ?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Trapping players on YOUR table, wherever it may be has been going on since gambling started.

Of course but how TRAPPED can you be if you got a week to figure it out? Let's be real about this Bill. If I walk into a pool room and get steered to the gaff table then I am in a trap. If I get a day to figure the table out then I am not in a trap anywhere but in my mind.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Of course but how TRAPPED can you be if you got a week to figure it out? Let's be real about this Bill. If I walk into a pool room and get steered to the gaff table then I am in a trap. If I get a day to figure the table out then I am not in a trap anywhere but in my mind.

With the power of Earls swing, and the cue he had, he knew what he was doing. Shane hadn't probably even seen that trap coming. Ten days, I don't know if 30 would of made a difference. Now that I'm thinking about it, the slip stroke players of the old days came into being probably because they needed that extra power to move whitey around the ten footers and the rag cloth tables. Are there ANY young/great players that utilize a slip stroke nowadays with Simonis, don't think so. Earl had the right tools (cue) and equipment to accomplish his task. Now give Shane a long pole and time to work out, matters would of been allot different.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's not the table, it's the childish act that SVB had to endure for 3 solid days ( well except when earl was running out like water, of course there wasn't an act then :rolleyes: )

Tecknikal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great. Thanks JCIN for all you do. Two of the best playing a great format on a table that does match their speed.

But, this is scheduled on the US Amateur National Championship Qualifier weekend. The Donny/SVB match on was during the Championship in Tampa so I got to watch one day in person. I guess Atlanta is out of the question? :grin:

Has anyone tried to stream one of these higher definition events on a Droid? If not, I'll still try anyway.

I've watched Shane & Earl on my Droid Atrix phone , sent the pic to Justin , he found it funny ! But it works like a charm !

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
That said, I cant fade his commentary. Different strokes for different folks but eight hours of Danny D would put me over the edge. I respect the hell out of what he has done but something in his presentation is nails on a chalkboard to me.

I wonder what Earl is doing that weekend ?

derekdisco said:
It might just be me, but I struggle to watch a match when Danny is on the mic

well that makes me feel much better. I have came out a few times and as politely as possible, said that I cannot listen to Mr. D either. I too, respect everything about him, but when it comes to commentating, it just doesn't do it for me at all. Commentating is really a personal preference and no one should ever take offense to anyone saying they don't like their style or delivery. It's one thing to say someone doesn't know what they're talking about or things like that, but that is a whole other aspect of it, which is NOT what I'm talking about here. A person has to enjoy their voice and the way they deliver their story. Same thing with JoeyA. I'm just really not into him at all. There are a lot of people that stick up for their favorite commentator and I'm no different. Billy I is my man and if he's on the mic, then the whole match just got raised up several levels.:smile:

So before anyone bashes me... if you must go ahead, but it's nothing personal against them as a person, just their commentating. I could have someone as a friend or have a idol as a pool player, but if their commentating isn't my cup of tea, I will tell them that and hopefully they can get over it.:D I could enjoy the hell out of talking with them.. whole different thing then commentating.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JOE Rogan and Billy I.= dream team, we can dream , right

or you can just put a mic on alex

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It's not the table, it's the childish act that SVB had to endure for 3 solid days ( well except when earl was running out like water, of course there wasn't an act then :rolleyes: )

What on Earth does this have to do with the discussion? Who cares? Do you somehow think that Earl was going to STOP being Earl for that match? Guess what, Shane barbecued him the first time they played. EVERYONE including fans of Earl thought he was going to get DRILLED this time.

Guess what else? It's not an act. Earl is like this all the time. He is an individual who has his own character. Love him or hate him he is simply a person making his way through the world. If you think Earl is so bad then maybe you should show some compassion for someone who is so obviously plagued with inner demons.

Get over it.

It's two people who played a world class pool game for less prize money than Michael Jordan spends to play a round of golf. For three days they showed up to entertain you. Enjoy the fact that you get this kind of entertainment for peanuts. Neither guy is Mother Teresa, they are both pool players running around the world knocking balls in holes for money.

Be thankful that you get to see someone play the game as effortlessly as Earl Strickland plays it. He shows you what's possible. Notice NO ONE else is stepping up to play Earl. I guarantee you that if they thought they had the nuts then the line would be around the corner with every challenger ready to fade Earl's character.

But you are entitled to your opinion and if you want to turn a side discussion about tables which didn't belong here in the first place into a bash on Earl which also doesn't belong here - go ahead and continue.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
With the power of Earls swing, and the cue he had, he knew what he was doing. Shane hadn't probably even seen that trap coming. Ten days, I don't know if 30 would of made a difference. Now that I'm thinking about it, the slip stroke players of the old days came into being probably because they needed that extra power to move whitey around the ten footers and the rag cloth tables. Are there ANY young/great players that utilize a slip stroke nowadays with Simonis, don't think so. Earl had the right tools (cue) and equipment to accomplish his task. Now give Shane a long pole and time to work out, matters would of been allot different.

Cuetec has an extension piece that fits on the cue. Don't forget that in the old days pool was played with 56-57" cues on 10' tables. You can make all the predictions you want but the fact is that Shane had a week to figure out the table and he didn't figure it out enough. Maybe things would be different if Shane had a longer cue but he didn't and Earl's cue length was known BEFORE the match started. I am POSITIVE that everyone thought it was just another gimmick like "ass-weights". But Earl has played with the same cue on 9' tables and beaten other champions including Johnny Archer a week later. So it's not all cue.

But I agree with you that Earl did what he had to do and showed that the older dog still has a few tricks.

I just don't agree that Shane was trapped. I think Shane just fell apart under Earl's great play.

Last edited:

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What on Earth does this have to do with the discussion? Who cares? Do you somehow think that Earl was going to STOP being Earl for that match? Guess what, Shane barbecued him the first time they played. EVERYONE including fans of Earl thought he was going to get DRILLED this time.

Guess what else? It's not an act. Earl is like this all the time. He is an individual who has his own character. Love him or hate him he is simply a person making his way through the world. If you think Earl is so bad then maybe you should show some compassion for someone who is so obviously plagued with inner demons.

Get over it.

It's two people who played a world class pool game for less prize money than Michael Jordan spends to play a round of golf. For three days they showed up to entertain you. Enjoy the fact that you get this kind of entertainment for peanuts. Neither guy is Mother Teresa, they are both pool players running around the world knocking balls in holes for money.

Be thankful that you get to see someone play the game as effortlessly as Earl Strickland plays it. He shows you what's possible. Notice NO ONE else is stepping up to play Earl. I guarantee you that if they thought they had the nuts then the line would be around the corner with every challenger ready to fade Earl's character.

But you are entitled to your opinion and if you want to turn a side discussion about tables which didn't belong here in the first place into a bash on Earl which also doesn't belong here - go ahead and continue.

Just pointing out the obvious sir, it wasn't the table that shane had to fade.

As for no one else stepping up, I do believe shane is standing beside his diamond 9 ft looking earls way.

Let's leave it at that, thread is starting to derail.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Just pointing out the obvious sir, it wasn't the table that shane had to fade.

As for no one else stepping up, I do believe shane is standing beside his diamond 9 ft looking earls way.

Let's leave it at that, thread is starting to derail.

Earlier you said it was the table. The thread has already been derailed in several directions. Doesn't matter - hopefully the thread stays on the main page at the top up to and through the match.

And Shane stood by his Diamond 9ft the first time they played and faded Earl's demeanor and barbecued him. Again so what?

The fact is that BOTH times the players agreed to play on the equipment provided.

I am fine to leave it alone as long as where it's left is not inaccurate. :)

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say, as far as commentators go, there are many that do a really good job. When it comes to who I would like to listen to, I think that Justin (JCIN) may have the best all around style. I enjoy listening to his commentary. To me, it gets kind of boring listening to a guy say, "I think he's probably going two rails. Looks like he's going for the 3 ball next." Most players can figure out the paths that are going to be taken, although I do appreciate occasionally giving additional ideas, like he can play it one of three ways, etc.

I like how Justin mixes it up and throws in stories and personal accounts. He also talks about how the matches were put together and gives background to how the players ended up in the match. It adds layers to the match and storyline that would otherwise be absent. He also adds a lot of humor to a situation. When he's in the booth with someone else they usually start cracking jokes at some point.

I know you have other obligations during the match, but if you want to jump in the booth a little while Justin, I for one would not complain.

If I had to pick others, the combination of Scott Frost and Cardone from the '10 US Open 10 ball was a combination that really worked. Those two, being good friends, fed off each other and had everyone rolling.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I am not a DiLiberto fan for commentating, I like Billy much better and Grady is just fine too, for color I like Mataya, but I could not fade Mataya more than a match or 2 as it will get old.