Do You Wish to Stake a Pro at Derby City?

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The comparison is ridiculous. I have never heard of an Olympian athlete flipping burgers or selling hot dogs. Gimme a break.

A job is a job it doesnt matter what it is,you are foolish to keep referring to flipping burgers or selling hot dogs. The Olympians that I know that have jobs have good ones because they could get ones and still practice and compete at the top of their sports.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
It has been proven many times that you can be a top level pro and have a FULL time job. Ask pros how many hours a day they practice now and most will say about an average of 2 hours a day if they are honest. Most that gamble get about an average of maybe 2 good money games a week...maybe. That leaves a hell of a lot of down time. Most American pros started playing and gambling at a very young age while they lived at home and had no rent, food, or most anything else to worry about cost of living wise. When they first started getting good the profitable match-ups were very easy to come by, but as they got better and their name and game clocked, it became hard to get the nuts anymore. So they had no reason to work in the beginning because they were making easy money at doing something they enjoyed. Next come the backers. Still no need for a job yet. But when you get to the point of just even games or always chasing the nuts it's time to get a job. IMO most are just lazy.

I have stakes or helped stake many a pro player, both male and female. Some of the last few that came on here looking for a stake went pretty sour for me, but I would still stake the right person in the right game/tournament. It's called gambling. Johnnyt

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
The comparison is ridiculous. I have never heard of an Olympian athlete flipping burgers or selling hot dogs. Gimme a break.

There are many other things you would never hear about Olympic athletes doing that are the norm in pool.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
fwiw; there is a very successful hotdog vendor who has already posted a comment in this thread.

there are lots of choices we make in our lives and with each choice comes a result or consequence. Some good, some bad, and some neutral.

nothing is owed to us in this world - it's up to us to position ourselves how we want, again, choices.

If you have managed to become really good with a pool cue then you have more choices to make.

some may include:

if I am talented enough at playing pool, can I also be enterprising enough for it to become a good and dependable income stream? One must also consider two other important points when seriously thinking to go forward with this plan:

1. There are no health benefits or 401k, pensions, etc., for pool players.

2. It appears that maybe only the top 5 players in the US are making real money. And, of those scant few, are *any* of them really rolling in the dough?

then being honest with yourself about what your true chances are to become an elite top-5 player.

Unfortunately, this isn't golf where the guy who finishes in 32nd place on Sunday gets a $25k check.

Our sport is poor - the rewards are few and far between.

It's tough action and so to pursue it in a very serious and meaningful way, one must be resourceful.

It does usually come down to the *choice* of either supporting your pool passion by getting a job (whatever it is really doesn't matter as long as it pays your bills) or getting into action (tough racket) or looking to others to help finance *your dream*. of being a pool player.

As outrageous as it may sound to some, there's an azer whose name escapes me at this very moment who has won the collegiate pool championship two years in a row.

I suspect that he could put a beat down on many, if not most of the guys who are typically looking to others to subsidize their dream. And he's enjoying his pool successes while getting a college education. :thumbup: :cool: Total respect to him!

People need to think long and hard before trying to climb the pool ladder.

I wish our sport was richer.

EDIT: just did a quick search and I believe the college champ I referred to is Ray Linares.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
As outrageous as it may sound to some, there's even an azer whose name escapes me at this very moment who has won the collegiate pool championship two years in a row.

I suspect that he could probably put a beat down on many, if not most of the guys who are typically looking to others to subsidize their dream. And he's enjoying his pool success while getting his college education. :thumbup: :cool: Total respect for him!

People need to think long and hard before trying to climb the pool ladder.

I wish our sport was richer.

best,
brian kc

The player I think you are referring to is Raymond Linares from Miami (see here: http://www.obcues.com/pages/Raymond-Linares.html ) He won it in 2010 and 2011 and then again in 2013. He also won the US Amateur Championships in 2010. He is putting himself through school, started and runs his own film production business and somehow still finds time to work out every day and play pool at a very high level. It can be done.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apples <---------> Oranges

There are many other things you would never hear about Olympic athletes doing that are the norm in pool.

Not to mention the things you hear about Olympic athletes doing,
That you'll never hear Pool Players doing. :thumbup:

You're right, one of those things is getting a cushy job from Home Depot with the time
off needed for events and training, and who knows what else.

Of coarse it would be hard for Home Depot to put adds on TV about the Pool Players
they hire that are training for big events here in the United States.

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They need a miracle !

But then one of my favorite sayings is;

I don't believe in miracles
I DEPEND ON THEM !

Joe T

The player I think you are referring to is Raymond Linares from Miami (see here: http://www.obcues.com/pages/Raymond-Linares.html ) He won it in 2010 and 2011 and then again in 2013. He also won the US Amateur Championships in 2010. He is putting himself through school, started and runs his own film production business and somehow still finds time to work out every day and play pool at a very high level. It can be done.

First I was just going to repost this because its WORTH IT but then I remembered Raymond is the player that took action in Miami and got 8 high level players to participate in our Series II. They're playing off tonight for the national representative, All the best Raymond and hope to see you next week. The kid is an inspiration.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So disgusting the way some members on this forum poke fun at American pro players like they're zoo animals. Meanwhile, some members of this forum are the very ones asking for autographs and photo opportunities -- FOR FREE -- when they see the Americna pro player in person. :angry:

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are we to assume that what AZ posts as income from tourneys is every pros only income? Why does everyone think they know what pros make? Do you know pros are broke or not? I would imagine none of us know. Who are we to say they should get jobs? So if AZ says Efren only made say $10000 last year. You would tell him he should get a full time job. How silly. Its their lives. Is this a forum for pool fans (fanatics) or pool critics. Do you know what pros have jobs outside of pool? Do they need to tell everyone how they live their lives?

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are we to assume that what AZ posts as income from tourneys is every pros only income? Why does everyone think they know what pros make? Do you know pros are broke or not? I would imagine none of us know. Who are we to say they should get jobs? So if AZ says Efren only made say $10000 last year. You would tell him he should get a full time job. How silly. Its their lives. Is this a forum for pool fans (fanatics) or pool critics. Do you know what pros have jobs outside of pool? Do they need to tell everyone how they live their lives?

BRAVO !

I agree and applaud your statement !

A little off topic because I am not a Pro but a gentleman said to me one time
(being nosy) well if you don't have a job how do you PAY RENT ?

I told him CASH ! ---------------------> That ended the conversation.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tap, tap, tap!

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line is this.

If you can't afford to get yourself to events and pay your own way and reap all the benefits then it's time to look for something else to do full time and make pool your 2nd part time job. Because if you can't afford it, it's because your not good enough to compete in those events, sorry. Just the facts.

There's only a handful of guys perhaps 10, that can win at these events, the rest are at best hoping to break even. And the ones that can win are not asking to be staked in the tournaments usually. Gambling, yes they want staked.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
self evaluation.....as usual "if you can spot it, you got it"

Well Stated - the best post of the entire thread, jburkm002 ....very wise indeed!

After hearing all the nonsense about "Pros," I've come to the conclusion that they're "figments of some people's imagination". I guess it's easier to be critical and scrutinize "Pros" rather than honest self evaluation.....as usual "if you can spot it, you got it". ;) *

There's an old saying that describes those that judge others - "I can see you (Pro Pool Players) better than I can see me because I see myself through a lens of a life time of rationalizations and justifications".....'The Game is the Teacher'

* This simply means that if you spot (recognize) someone's behavior, attitude, condition, etc. you probably have the same stuff your self.