JPNEWT=Karens ATM

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SS,

Understand your point. My question is, how long can the tour(s) survive if no one but Karen wins? In my mind, it is no different than Dennis Hatch showing up at a regional tour event and massacring the field. Eventually entries drop and the tour director has to make a choice. In the case of the Joss Norhteast, MZ barred Dennis from the player auction. Dennis eventually went elsewhere (don't know why) when his bi-weekly paycheck stopped :eek: . There has to be a balance point! Honestly not sure where that is. Do you?

Lyn

Zuglen banned Hatch from the calcutta? What was the reason? I can't imagine it would have been Hatch's level of play. Zuglan had players on that tour in the late 90's and early 2000's that were the favorite over Hatch.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Karen Corr

Here is what Karen does while she is waiting for her next match. She professionally represents the sport and always is there to help the kids learn.How many other Pro's do you see going over to help out a youngster between their matches at a tournament.

Lighten up Johnny...you ***** every time she wins a regional :boring::boring::boring:

Attachments

• Karen teaching.jpg
    Karen teaching.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 298

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what Karen does while she is waiting for her next match. She professionally represents the sport and always is there to help the kids learn.How many other Pro's do you see going over to help out a youngster between their matches at a tournament.

Lighten up Johnny...you ***** every time she wins a regional :boring::boring::boring:

Good point, it is nice when you see someone that truly cares and gives back.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great point, sir.

You captured it all right there in that photo.

And another angle to look at is, when entering a tournament, I'd be ecstatic to draw Karen. I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell to win, but just to say I played a hall of famer is worth the price of admission. I know a few players who enter turning stone with the same mind set.

Sometimes, the star quality can draw them in.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right. Continue clubbing the seals Karen. Johnnyt

JT, while certainly not on that level I've been in kind of the same situation at the tourney at my ( then ) favorite watering hole. We had a nice 9 ball tournament on Fridays for years. We all ( regulars ) just thought of it as something to do for fun to do - usually it was at most an $80 payout. We had all types play, really good shooters down to the chics that couldn't hit the end rail. Like I said it was for fun for us. I was always one of two people that were a favorite to win every week. No body cared about me playing cause I always bought way more shots for everyone than even what the tourney payed - even if I were to win it. It stayed like that for years.

I made the mistake of inviting a good buddy to come play one night ( he was in the pool world as well ). I did stipulate not to tell anyone though. Well...... sure Yale know how this story goes. He told one other person......... before long we has all the short stops coming by to rob it when they were broke, then we started even having pros coming every week so they could make that huge score --- $80 freaking bucks. Well, before long everyone stopped wanting to play in it for obvious reasons and maybe it lasted another 6 months but was pretty much dead from that point on. My point is; while this was definitely a much smaller event than the JPNEWT events it's still kinda the same thing and it does kinda suck. The money part aside, it was a fun thing for us locals. Also towards the end, the owner started " banning " the pros and what not and a few of them actually *****ed about me lol - he's won it a bunch, why is he still allowed to play!!! The owner looked them straight in the face and said I tell you what, you come in here 4 or 5 nights a week and run up a couple hundred dollar tab every night and you can play too!!! Lol

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
SS,

Remember those days as well. First, Mike had a guy named Pat Murray (I think) who ran the events for him. After Pat came Joe Tucker. Once Joe left, Mike began to run the events himself except for Turning Stone where Dana Buffalo helped him out. Mike was able to "double dip" as he didn't have the pressure to run the event as well as play. Your points are valid but do not change the basic tenor of this thread.

As I understand your point, it is better to have no tour at all rather than regional events with travelling pros excluded? If you're serious, the game of pool is really, really dead. There will be very few places for young players to go. Perhaps the US Open, Turning Stone or heaven forbid, one of the powerhouse bar box events! Pretty bleak. JMHO.

Lyn

poolplayher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy playing Karen and am always up for the challenge ... I may not have won a match against her yet, but surely glory in the times I've played smart and got games off her because of that ... no hater here

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Karen, is doing what she has to do. Clubbing baby seals Johnny?? come on dude. She plays in a tourney she is allowed to play in. OK lets say she says "Oh I feel bad that I win so much I'm not gonna play anymore" now the next best comes to win the next 4 in a row, we got to get rid of them too? so if you are good at what you do you are not allowed to play anymore? I'm sure Michael Jordan's Bulls are happy the NBA didn't feel that way.
Maybe I am biased because I know Karen and she is one of the classiest lades out there with no ego and happy to help anyone at her own expense. Johnny T We need more like her in the game believe me.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
SS,

Remember those days as well. First, Mike had a guy named Pat Murray (I think) who ran the events for him. After Pat came Joe Tucker. Once Joe left, Mike began to run the events himself except for Turning Stone where Dana Buffalo helped him out. Mike was able to "double dip" as he didn't have the pressure to run the event as well as play. Your points are valid but do not change the basic tenor of this thread.

As I understand your point, it is better to have no tour at all rather than regional events with travelling pros excluded? If you're serious, the game of pool is really, really dead. There will be very few places for young players to go. Perhaps the US Open, Turning Stone or heaven forbid, one of the powerhouse bar box events! Pretty bleak. JMHO.

Lyn

I just don't believe in players who sacrifice lots of things to get as good as they do, being punished for playing well.
If it is a scratch tour, no one should be barred for any reason.
I don't believe in lesser players being rewarded for sucking by discriminating against better players.
If the powers that be want to set up some handicap tour, that's fine, but no one should be complaining because they aren't winning scratch events.
If the tour dies because crybabies want the easy path to the cash (because let's face it, that's what this is all about) let it die.
A new tour can rise from the ashes to address the issues, such as handicaps, but no one should be barred from ANY tour because they play too good.
If that's what happens because people's egos can't handle losing, then the hell with all the crybabies. And the hell with pool.
I would rather see the crybabies never win a dime and a tour fail, than see a champion get banned.
What is the point in getting good then if once you get to the top, you are told you aren't wanted anymore?

I'll never agree with it.

Pool is bleak already. One tour here or there isn't going to make that much difference.
Kids can always just go to the pool room and match up.
Who needs tournaments anyway.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I play on the Action Pool Tour with Brandon Shuff, Shawn Wilkie and numerous meat eaters...I donate plenty for the privilege and don't mind it at all. Karen played on that tour for a couple of years, and did well, although she rarely went deep in the money. Bottom line, it's a great way to routinely play top notch, known players and money well spent in my case. I think a top notch pro in your regional tour is an asset. If you care about your game, you should jump at the chance to play them, especially if it doesn't have to cost you your mortgage to do it. And believe it or not, they don't ALWAYS win. It's a pretty big feather in your cap to steal a race from a world beater. (still waiting for that to happen for me, although I've scared a couple) :wink:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I just don't believe in players who sacrifice lots of things to get as good as they do, being punished for playing well.

If it is a scratch tour, no one should be barred for any reason.

I don't believe in lesser players being rewarded for sucking by discriminating against better players.

If the powers that be want to set up some handicap tour, that's fine, but no one should be complaining because they aren't winning scratch events.

If the tour dies because crybabies want the easy path to the cash (because let's face it, that's what this is all about) let it die.

A new tour can rise from the ashes to address the issues, such as handicaps, but no one should be barred from ANY tour because they play too good.

If that's what happens because people's egos can't handle losing, then the hell with all the crybabies. And the hell with pool.

I would rather see the crybabies never win a dime and a tour fail, than see a champion get banned.

What is the point in getting good then if once you get to the top, you are told you aren't wanted anymore?

I'll never agree with it.

Pool is bleak already. One tour here or there isn't going to make that much difference.

Kids can always just go to the pool room and match up.

Who needs tournaments anyway.

Tap, tap, tap. Well said.

poolplayher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on the Action Pool Tour with Brandon Shuff, Shawn Wilkie and numerous meat eaters...I donate plenty for the privilege and don't mind it at all. Karen played on that tour for a couple of years, and did well, although she rarely went deep in the money. Bottom line, it's a great way to routinely play top notch, known players and money well spent in my case. I think a top notch pro in your regional tour is an asset. If you care about your game, you should jump at the chance to play them, especially if it doesn't have to cost you your mortgage to do it. And believe it or not, they don't ALWAYS win. It's a pretty big feather in your cap to steal a race from a world beater. (still waiting for that to happen for me, although I've scared a couple) :wink:
Yup, so true West Point! I play there as well.

Also, we'll said bdflad!

Tap, tap, tap!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SS,

Understand your point. My question is, how long can the tour(s) survive if no one but Karen wins? In my mind, it is no different than Dennis Hatch showing up at a regional tour event and massacring the field. Eventually entries drop and the tour director has to make a choice. In the case of the Joss Norhteast, MZ barred Dennis from the player auction. Dennis eventually went elsewhere (don't know why) when his bi-weekly paycheck stopped :eek: . There has to be a balance point! Honestly not sure where that is. Do you?

Lyn

The problem lays in the fact that KC and other top players have no other places to dispatch their abilities.

E.G. In Europe the Top boys (and gals) will enter local events and be embraced by their locals because they know that next month the top pro's will not be around due to 'Professional Commitments' - In this case The Euro Tour.

It all comes back around to the same 'ol thang! No Pro Tour...
Work that one out, then the big fish will no longer feed in the pond...
:thumbup:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
50,000 people run the New York marathon. Maybe 20 of them are world class runners who have a chance to finish first. It doesn't stop the rest from showing up and paying the entry fee.

If there are women in the area who enjoy pool tournaments they will show up and the tour will continue.

Karen is a class act, exactly what the sport needs. I'm glad she is able to make a living in the sport and if I had any money to sponsor a player she would be high on my list.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right. Continue clubbing the seals Karen. Johnnyt

Karen is really the only top pro there. Same old same old. She wins all of them she enters. Johnnyt

I'm sure it is because Karen is playing TS instead of the WPBA. Johnnyt

I like Karen and respect her game. I've sat and had a drink with her, and she is a great gal and a riot to be around. However I and I'm sure some of the players on JPNEWT wish she would find another way to pocket an extra 5k a year. Johnnyt

Karen will beat her in the final. No one there can beat her if she doesn't want to get beat.

It's just more pool B/S with no organization to make a call. No one says anything when Karen Corr takes down a bunch of baby seals...and she is a real pro. I could name more like her, but you get the idea. Johnnyt

It looks like you're just a bit obsessed with Karen.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
50,000 people run the New York marathon. Maybe 20 of them are world class runners who have a chance to finish first. It doesn't stop the rest from showing up and paying the entry fee.

This is a great point. There is a sense of pride in competing at the top level. Even if it means you came in tied for 49,999th place. The important part is that they stepped up and competed.

Not expecting medals or praise, just to relish in the fact that they were there.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
This is a great point. There is a sense of pride in competing at the top level. Even if it means you came in tied for 49,999th place. The important part is that they stepped up and competed.

Not expecting medals or praise, just to relish in the fact that they were there.

Pool players egos get too butthurt for it to ever happen in pool.
All pool players do is cry about everything.