Bob Manzino "Chama"

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue essentially came about as a result of touring northern New Mexico two years ago. The experience left me with a deep impression of that region’s uniqueness and diversity of its Indian arts and cultural heritage. Southwestern Native American art has always been a favorite of mine and something I have long considered as a theme for a cue. From the very beginning of this design, my goal was to capture a strong sense of southwestern flair through the use of some rather creative combinations of shape, form, color and line. The all ebony cue, dubbed “Chama”, fuses the traditional geometric and step pattern artwork indigenous of that region and culture with that of free flowing shapes and art forms more closely associated with modern and contemporary art.
Over the years there have been a number of excellent cues done illustrating conventional Native American art. I was surprised somewhat when I learned that Bob had never even considered building one. His reasoning pretty much had to do with wanting to stay away from something which tended to follow the same principle design pattern. All too familiar geometry and repeated stepped line work provided little opportunity to express something new. That all changed after discussing what it was that I was after and in sharing some artwork that I had. Interest quickly jumped and he was on board for the project. Little did each of know back roughly 18 months ago where exactly this effort would eventually take us but boy did it.

Last edited:

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are six design elements to the overall cue artwork. At the center of the design is a Concho which was loosely inspired by a water vessel which had the color and bold shapes we were looking for. The Concho design consists of turquoise, ebony wood, pink ivory wood, black lip mop, teak wood and copper accents. In the center of the Concho is a turquoise oval that is bordered in silver with black lip MOP done as a stylized Zia Sun Symbol. Directly above and below the Concho are white mop inlays done to simulate the white tipped feathers of an Indian headdress. Copper arches tie them to the Concho.

Last edited:

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Extending from the headdress are Inlays of pink ivory, East Indian rosewood, and copper which are meant to depict ribbon side drops commonly displayed on war bonnets. Each of the ribbons is threaded through a turquoise bead, continuing outward to appear as loosely braided rawhide strips.

Last edited:

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A secondary design represents a dreamcatcher with an oval frame done in East Indian rosewood. The spider webbing is achieved using .013” silver wire. At the center are rings done in pink ivory wood and silver. Dual ribbon pieces, inlayed in copper, appear as leather strips which are threaded through a turquoise bead. Overlapping feathers of East Indian rosewood and white mop hang from each ribbon and are accented in copper, black lip mop, and white mop. As a final touch, Bob accents the cue with a very cool joint protector along with matching ring set and the cue’s dubbed name “Chama” inscribed into black lip MOP.
As always the case when working with Bob on a special project, I feel blessed to have been a part of the process and journey. He is truly an exceptionally talented cue artist and cue maker. Unlike any other cue maker I’ve had the good fortune in working with, Bob Manzino has such a way of manifesting a vision or dream into stunning reality. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Last edited:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow. What a beautiful and intricate Native American theme cue from Bob Manzino. Congrats!

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
The most interesting cue I have seen in forever...yeah, cue of the decade. Major congrats to Bob and the owner, you have set a new standard.

TommyT :thumbup::thumbup:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Thank you it has been awhile since there has been a special cue posted on here and that cue is very special.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Talk about a stunner!
And, as you know I love Native-American themed work.
One of the very best cues to land here in a long, long time.
Congratulations to you and Bob Manzino.
A masterpiece!

Will Prout

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unreal, that is taking cue art to another level from my perspective. Thanks for sharing and use it in the best of health.

-don