Castle Billiards NJ, throw player out for being too good

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I highly doubt the OP can play the race card here. We are in Jersey and the tournament is very ethnically diverse plus the TD is a cool guy.

I do agree that you should not be able to kick the player out once you have already accepted the money. He asked debreo to try and verify speed. Dabreo knew of a previous matchup with another player and confirmed before the TD let him in.

The inherent problem lies with allowing anyone over an A+ into the tournament. I understand the A++ is a new rating but it has dubious justification at best, and really opens the door for these types of problems.

Truthfully the whole situation was self inflicted and should be reviewed. These formats at Castle are still new and we understand that the ownership and TD are only trying to promote the room by instilling a very generous payout system)no entry fees taken by house in addition to the possibility of money added).

I participated because I enjoy the atmosphere that the owner continues to graciously provide for players. this tournament has the potential to grow and should considering the traveling tours take out too much for "admin" costs.

Kudos to John Trobiano, his team, and Scott for putting on a great tournament.

-jw

It's never easy to gauge speed. A player in the East may be a B and an A in the West. Any player can shoot above their level or below in anyone tournament or set. An unknown comes to town and should be raised in level so as not to rob the tourney. After a couple of tourneys the TD can better set their spot. Scott made his decision to oust him, another TD may have made the handicap harder. Both would be right.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ramesh Danny Gokul

"Can't believe what just happened...playing in a handicapped tournament at Castle Billiards in NJ...I'm at the highest handicap....Lost my first match yesterday and won the next 5 on the one loss side...came back today with 8 players left...the tournament director decides that I play too good and kicks me out, giving me my entry back...ain't that some B.S???"

Personally can't believe this happened. First the CSI scandal now this. There were a bunch of comments on this from to players such as Appleton and shaw etc saying things like welcome to the US pool world and yes this is normal by other players.
This is normal? Even worse many were indicating that race had something to do with it or the TD had a stake in someone else. First was $1700 I think.

lmao at the busted comments if you read you can clearly see where I put quotations from the post from facebook and there after give my opinion saying personally cant believe...maybe you go should read the comments from all the other players that were there and commenting and see who agrees. Like many have said not like danny was an unknown he has played here many times and in that area. TD didn't like it when people were complaining they didn't complain when he lost his first match?

So throws him out but there were other open speed players there who were not because they maybe lost?
Again not saying the td is a jerk but maybe poor decision making and fairness ethics have to be questioned.

and it doesn't matter if the tournament is diverse its that are people getting treated the same? seems not.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's never easy to gauge speed. A player in the East may be a B and an A in the West. Any player can shoot above their level or below in anyone tournament or set. An unknown comes to town and should be raised in level so as not to rob the tourney. After a couple of tourneys the TD can better set their spot. Scott made his decision to oust him, another TD may have made the handicap harder. Both would be right.

The ratings of a player is irregardless of where they are. What you really mean to say is that an A player from one area may be the best in his area but would be on the low side if he goes into a room filled with A+ and up players.

How well you play does not change, it's only how well you play relative to others that changes. What we all need to do is agree to use the same scale when ranking players. I use the one I've seen for years and years which is the how many balls you can run on average in 9 ball with ball in hand. It goes from 1-2 for a D up to almost full racks for an A. A B player is 5 or so balls on average.

An A player will play like an A player anywhere. It's if he can beat the other players that may be an issue. For example, you take a Porsche, top speed maybe 170. It beats the pants of the cars in your area in street races. Then you take it to a big car town and you now need to race cars that can hit 200 and do the 1/4 mile 2 seconds faster. That car still can hit 170 no matter where it goes, but in some places it can't win. It's speed rating is constant, the relative rank is not.

Now if we start to use league ratings, that all goes out the window as those ratings are all based on how well you do against other local players. If you are a C player and you play against D players, you may go up to a B level ranking, say a 5, but if you go to a town where there are C, B and A players, you will all of a sudden be a C player as a 5 but you are playing B players who are also rated a 5 because those B players have to play A players so cannot win or do well enough to go up.

Last edited:

pico369

Registered
lmao at the busted comments if you read you can clearly see where I put quotations from the post from facebook and there after give my opinion saying personally cant believe...maybe you go should read the comments from all the other players that were there and commenting and see who agrees. Like many have said not like danny was an unknown he has played here many times and in that area. TD didn't like it when people were complaining they didn't complain when he lost his first match?

So throws him out but there were other open speed players there who were not because they maybe lost?
Again not saying the td is a jerk but maybe poor decision making and fairness ethics have to be questioned.

and it doesn't matter if the tournament is diverse its that are people getting treated the same? seems not.

I don't think he should have been allowed to play in the tournament or anyone who has been rated "open" speed or in this case "A++". Just because a player is a low end open doesn't mean he should be allowed into a non open tournament with extended races. Extended races, minor game spot, with a strong side/weak side format and winner breaks, and to top it off, magic rack option does not justify letting them in. It actually proves why you should not let those players in.

But yes you are correct. Everyone is admitting that the house players are being protected as they should to a degree. Race is NOT the reason why Danny was not treated the same as the house players.

They did reimburse Danny's entry and side pot money. End of story

Espartaco_7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The case is that Danny lied about his skill level, TD found out, gave him his money back and thanks for coming.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
ok, I'll admit it....I'm having a REALLY hard time understanding why it's ok to hide your speed to take an "individual's" money, but it's not ok when you try to take a "group" of individual's money??! :sorry:

On one hand players are lauded for locking up the cash, but in this case - it's just WRONG!! The TD let Danny in, let him play SIX matches, and then gave him the boot?! Should he have let him in in the first place? Maybe not (admittedly, Danny is a very good player, seen him in tourneys here in IL), but he'd already eliminated 5 other players....now, what about them? IMO, they should have let Danny finish, and then bar him from any future ABCD tourneys if they thought it was necessary.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im curious how many of you like when roadplayers sneak into your weekly tourney and rob it?i have nothing against them but if i sniff them out my friends are protected.scotty and castle protected their house and players.he saw what he needed to see and removed the player.let his cheerleader get over it.

Espartaco_7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy, ABCD tourney, NO OPEN OR PRO PLAYERS ALLOWED, they guy shows up, says he plays a++ speed, another guy vouches for him so he gets into the tournament. End of the day TD finds out he's a very strong open player who travels the whole usa, and plays with the big guys, so the TD took him out and gave him his money back. Pure and simple. No undercover agents in ABCD tourneys.

Reactions: JDB

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Who is saying that it's ok to rob people???

ok, I'll admit it....I'm having a REALLY hard time understanding why it's ok to hide your speed to take an "individual's" money, but it's not ok when you try to take a "group" of individual's money??! :sorry:

On one hand players are lauded for locking up the cash, but in this case - it's just WRONG!! The TD let Danny in, let him play SIX matches, and then gave him the boot?! Should he have let him in in the first place? Maybe not (admittedly, Danny is a very good player, seen him in tourneys here in IL), but he'd already eliminated 5 other players....now, what about them? IMO, they should have let Danny finish, and then bar him from any future ABCD tourneys if they thought it was necessary.

I don't think it's ok at all to lie to people about your speed to take their money..

Jaden

Reactions: JDB

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I don't think it's ok at all to lie to people about your speed to take their money..

Jaden

are you serious? ever heard of a politician? folks with jobs in sales? I could go on endlessly. :rolleyes:

he snuck in, happens all the time, just about everywhere....I don't feel bad about him getting asked to leave. The TD could have asked around about his speed. But don't kick him out after 6 matches.

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
are you serious? ever heard of a politician? folks with jobs in sales? I could go on endlessly. :rolleyes:

he snuck in, happens all the time, just about everywhere....I don't feel bad about him getting asked to leave. The TD could have asked around about his speed. But don't kick him out after 6 matches.

This has happened a lot and it's made it tough for new players to come in and play. As I said earlier, we all know each other so when a new player shows up and wants to become part of it we welcome it and we shouldn't have to assume they're road players. If they're blantantly stealing the money, see ya later. He was lucky to get his entry back IMO.

Btw that night he went to Clifton Billiards and beat Spanky (an open player who cannot play in this event) 6 straight sets. So playing B players was child's play.

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did he dump the match he lost on the winners side?
If not then who the hell beat him?
And how can a tournament director not use his smartphone and do a quick google search just in case, but I'm shocked they hadn't heard of him before.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Ramesh Gokul. East Indian I presume.

One less Taxi Driver on the streets.

I Kid of course. You believe me, Yes?

It always makes for an entertaining thread. The whiny poor me, I gots rippted off threads and then someone calls them out with the Truth.

Fer a start, from what I have read re anything Sand Castle has done, it has always been with great regards from anyone involved.

Fer a number 2, (no pun intended), I believe that Hanumen Clause is going to leave a lump of Monkey poo in Danny's Stocking this Christmas.

Good reading tho. We likes our Daily Dramatisations on AZB. Dom Poppa has been failing miserably in the Troll Dept.

But seriously, as the Sandman posted, this is a protected tourney for regulars. Nothing wrong with that. We have our fun Sat League run tourneys and we handicap the crap out of people who jump in and try to mess up the tourneys for the people who actually put the dough in the regular league.

Good Stuff Sand Castle. At least you returned his Tourney fee with an invitation to play in any of your Open Tourneys. That is much more than most would do.

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I've seen a small group of players that have been barred from tournaments before,and I have been asked not to play any more in more than a few places for winning enough that to an untrained eye might look like I'm the best player in America because to them it seems like I win EVERY time.

But,in all my years around pool,I have never seen,heard or imagined anyone have this happen while a tournament is still going on.

To my thinking,this must be a case of someone involved with the tournament having the longshot in the calcutta,and knows their guy isn't SUPPOSED to win,period.

At one tournament,my opponent never showed up at the table,so I waited 15 minutes or so just to make sure the guy just didn't hear it being announced. I wait another 30 and asked them to page him again,and someone other than the TD just wrote me in as winning on a forfeit because the usual 15 min time frame for a forfeit was over almost an hour ago.

I'm in the money at the tournament,and waiting to play Rafael Martinez to get into the calcutta money,and that would have been a nice lick in the pocket,and beating a world class player to do it would have been a huge psychological and emotional surge,so I'm preparing for the match.

While I'm waiting,someone asked me if I was still in the tournament,and told him I won by forfeit,and about that time I see just a guy walk into the room and take the walk around to the control desk and set his cues down. The friend that asked me about the tournament asked what his name was,so I told him,and he points out that he's the guy that just walked up to the tournament board.

About that time,I hear my name called over the PA. I go over there and the TD tells me dude had a minor issue with one of his kids,got it taken care of,and got stuck behind a wreck on the 4 lane,and asked me if I'd be a gentleman and play the match now,rather than going with my gut and saying no just because he supposedly called the poolroom, Not everyone had cell phones,and text messaging was probably still unheard of,so way prove he called with a timestamp. If there had been proof,I might have not given it much thought,felt better about the match and won,and still got to play Rafael.

I begrudgingly agree and play bad enough that dude wins,then later on he beats Rafael with 3 9's on the break in a row to get in the money. I found out later on,they bought him in both calcuttas,but he didn't buy his half because he was short on cash.

Because he jumped up a spot he made another 200 in tournament money. A small corporation split his calcutta money 4 ways so all 4 made 100,and their horse got some extra money from the tournament plus some jelly to take home to the family.

It helped dude so no sweat there,but helping themselves and ****ing me out of what SHOULD have been mine after 2 hours of waiting to play Rafael won't happen again. Tommy D.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Good story Tommy, and yet another valid reason as to why pool has earned its rather unsavory reputation at times.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ramesh Gokul. East Indian I presume.

One less Taxi Driver on the streets.

I Kid of course. You believe me, Yes?

It always makes for an entertaining thread. The whiny poor me, I gots rippted off threads and then someone calls them out with the Truth.

Fer a start, from what I have read re anything Sand Castle has done, it has always been with great regards from anyone involved.

Fer a number 2, (no pun intended), I believe that Hanumen Clause is going to leave a lump of Monkey poo in Danny's Stocking this Christmas.

Good reading tho. We likes our Daily Dramatisations on AZB. Dom Poppa has been failing miserably in the Troll Dept.

But seriously, as the Sandman posted, this is a protected tourney for regulars. Nothing wrong with that. We have our fun Sat League run tourneys and we handicap the crap out of people who jump in and try to mess up the tourneys for the people who actually put the dough in the regular league.

Good Stuff Sand Castle. At least you returned his Tourney fee with an invitation to play in any of your Open Tourneys. That is much more than most would do.

Ray-It's Castle Billiards not Sand Castle. It's been around 20+ years at least and has every bit the rep of SC only they've had it longer. Every Player in NY has played there. Tony Robles was house pro there. Ginky played Efren there getting the 7 and the breaks-They pushed. I've never heard a negative thing about the TD.