Cole Dickson

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A loss for the entire pool world, he was a good dude gone too soon

RIP young man, you'll certainly be missed and without a doubt be part of our wonderful sport's history and allure

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been a difficult year for pool. Cole certain is one of the legendary players, well known for his shot-making skills, as well as his cool demeanor.

CaliRed produced this vintage film on YouTube of Cole Dickson vs. Dave Matlock at the 1993 L.A. Open. Race to 3, One-Pocket. ---> HERE

JesseBfan

Motivation, where are u?
Silver Member
Sad news indeed. I hung out with him at the poolroom years ago, he was a trip. He made one bank against my friend that I've never seen done again since.

Anyone know how young he was when he moved on from this land?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news indeed. I hung out with him at the poolroom years ago, he was a trip. He made one bank against my friend that I've never seen done again since.

Anyone know how young he was when he moved on from this land?

I'm going to guess and say 60 or 61.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I'm going to guess and say 60 or 61.

In the other thread, Bob Jewett said that in 1966 he saw Cole play when he (Cole) was about 16 years old so that would put him about 63.

Sad news, indeed.

RIP sir.

best,
brian kc

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the other thread, Bob Jewett said that in 1966 he saw Cole play when he (Cole) was about 16 years old so that would put him about 63.

Sad news, indeed.

RIP sir.

best,
brian kc

Keith said *he thought* Cole was 4 years old than him, so I'm not sure. Keith is 56. Memories fade when we age, so Keith's memory might not be accurate about Cole's age.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cole came through the US Bar Table last February.
He was with his daughter Christine - who lives in Reno.

He was cordial as always.

Although I did not know him well, he was always referred to as a kind sole who could shot the eyes off the balls.

I do wihs I had known him better.

I wish Christine the best.

RIP Cole.

Mark Griffin

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cole came through the US Bar Table last February.
He was with his daughter Christine - who lives in Reno.

He was cordial as always.

Although I did not know him well, he was always referred to as a kind sole who could shot the eyes off the balls.

I do wihs I had known him better.

I wish Christine the best.

RIP Cole.

Mark Griffin

i only met him and his daughter once. they were both really nice to me. anyone that offers me a shot is good people in my book. Hope Cole's happy on the other side and that his daughter isn't hurt for too long.

nightmare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like just when the sadness starts to ease, we lose another one – another legend. I've been told by numerous friends that Cole Dickson lost his battle with liver cancer this morning.

Cole had already "semi-retired" from pool by the time I hit Southern California in 1980 so, unfortunately, I missed Cole's era. I heard plenty of stories though - every time I heard the name Cole Dickson, it was automatic to hear people describe him the same way. "Hippie Cole," flashy, brash, high rollin', hilarious, straight shootin', no fear...

Although I occasionally saw him around at the various events of the day, I never really knew him. It wasn't until I had Cue-Topia that I got to know Cole. I was up on a step ladder, wrestling a heavy drill & trying to secure some framed photos to the wall when I heard someone bark, "Geez! What the hell are you doing? Gimme that!" I turned around & Cole snatched the drill like it was a marshmallow out of my hands & ZZZ...ZZZ screwed the frame into the wall. Cole turned around & hollered at my partner, "C'mon, give me a C-note! We're going to get her a drill she can handle without a forklift!" Five minutes later, we're in my car on our way to the Makita store...:)

It was the days of the cheap plane tickets & although Cole lived in Montana, he came down to Vegas frequently. He'd fly through the door & immediately, the place lit up. Cole was one of the few people who could do that. Always laughing - always teasing. After a while, he'd wink & say, "Mare - you hungry?!!!"

I'd dutifully get a rack of balls, we'd go to the table & play for dinner. Race to 9 - I got the 7 & the breaks. Never won...lost every time we played. 9-8. I played my ass off, he was stalling, I was being hustled, I knew it, he knew it & I loved every minute of it. I know I got way the best of it...I got to play with, learn from & see the occasional glimmer of greatness & then, dinner & world-class conversation.

It was during those dinner conversations that Cole talked often about his girls...Christine & Susan - know that he loved you & was so proud of you.

I last talked with Cole around the beginning of March. I had been told he was very sick & I knew it was probably the last time we'd talk - I think he knew it too. Even so, he was the same old Cole – facing the toughest opponent of his life – with humor, bravely & without fear. RIP, my friend.

Mary Kenniston

Ronnie Allen, Cole Dickson & Larry Schwartz - '88 Cue-Topia - Las Vegas, NV

Attachments

• Ronnie Allen, C Dickson & L Schwartz - '88 Cue-Topia - LV, NV.jpg
    Ronnie Allen, C Dickson & L Schwartz - '88 Cue-Topia - LV, NV.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,229

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
Keith said *he thought* Cole was 4 years old than him, so I'm not sure. Keith is 56. Memories fade when we age, so Keith's memory might not be accurate about Cole's age.

I think so too, Keith and I are close I'm a little older...almost 57 guess Keith just turned 56....you're right about memory.
Cole did seem older and wiser back then...I'm thinking at least four maybe five years older.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I am very sorry to hear of Cole's passing. One of the world's greatest pool players of the past half century. Extremely confident, yet quiet and soft spoken. He will be missed.

RIP Cole.

Will Prout

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Gonna be a bad year. My deepest condolences to you Mary and all who knew Cole. ****ing cancer just robs the world of good people.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like just when the sadness starts to ease, we lose another one – another legend. I've been told by numerous friends that Cole Dickson lost his battle with liver cancer this morning.

Cole had already "semi-retired" from pool by the time I hit Southern California in 1980 so, unfortunately, I missed Cole's era. I heard plenty of stories though - every time I heard the name Cole Dickson, it was automatic to hear people describe him the same way. "Hippie Cole," flashy, brash, high rollin', hilarious, straight shootin', no fear...

Although I occasionally saw him around at the various events of the day, I never really knew him. It wasn't until I had Cue-Topia that I got to know Cole. I was up on a step ladder, wrestling a heavy drill & trying to secure some framed photos to the wall when I heard someone bark, "Geez! What the hell are you doing? Gimme that!" I turned around & Cole snatched the drill like it was a marshmallow out of my hands & ZZZ...ZZZ screwed the frame into the wall. Cole turned around & hollered at my partner, "C'mon, give me a C-note! We're going to get her a drill she can handle without a forklift!" Five minutes later, we're in my car on our way to the Makita store...:)

It was the days of the cheap plane tickets & although Cole lived in Montana, he came down to Vegas frequently. He'd fly through the door & immediately, the place lit up. Cole was one of the few people who could do that. Always laughing - always teasing. After a while, he'd wink & say, "Mare - you hungry?!!!"

I'd dutifully get a rack of balls, we'd go to the table & play for dinner. Race to 9 - I got the 7 & the breaks. Never won...lost every time we played. 9-8. I played my ass off, he was stalling, I was being hustled, I knew it, he knew it & I loved every minute of it. I know I got way the best of it...I got to play with, learn from & see the occasional glimmer of greatness & then, dinner & world-class conversation.

It was during those dinner conversations that Cole talked often about his girls...Christine & Susan - know that he loved you & was so proud of you.

I last talked with Cole around the beginning of March. I had been told he was very sick & I knew it was probably the last time we'd talk - I think he knew it too. Even so, he was the same old Cole – facing the toughest opponent of his life – with humor, bravely & without fear. RIP, my friend.

Mary Kenniston

Ronnie Allen, Cole Dickson & Larry Schwartz - '88 Cue-Topia - Las Vegas, NV

Beautifully written, Mary. Thanks for sharing all of your memories and photos with the rest of us. You are truly an asset to the pool world. Thank you! :smile:

tommybaker

Registered
Cole

A lot of great memories with Cole back in the day, at the Billiard Palace in Bellflower. Watched him play pay ball several times. Ran into him a few times over the years at different tournaments, always good to see him. He was truly one of the greats and a legend. Rest in Peace Cole! Your friend Tommy Baker.