Did Niels Feijen's Cue Contact the Cueball?

osama

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question... is there anyone here who would call that foul on an opponent. I know I wouldn't.

Yes, the referee should of done it, only him and no one else. Like all other sports, this is his decision to make. This is what he was paid for after all.

But I'm sure he didn't notice the foul; he was busy celebrating with the winning team! :grin-square:

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure he was just following the script. The television producers probably instruct the players to go ape-shit as soon as the last 9-ball drops. Waiting for the cue ball to stop takes away from the moment.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Technically I would think it's a rules violation to even put your cue on the table

If a foul would of been called, it would of been the most embarrassing thing about the whole event.

Even if a foul was called and the nine ball spotted and cueball was in hand I would think the incoming player might of missed it on purpose to show what class was left.:thumbup:

Being from the old school I would of never wanted to stoop that low to win a simple game of pool.

Calling this type "foul" should never be considered. The cue ball was clearly in no danger of scratching.....the match was over, and any continuation would have been more than embarrassing, it would have been unacceptable, especially considering the score.

Technically I would think it's a rules violation to even put your cue on the table with the cue ball moving......and again, in this case it simply didn't matter.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rules need to be followed at all times, or never.
Otherwise you make them arbitrary and subject to abuse.
I have watched people cheat others for all of my pool life because they bent or broke rules and got away with it
I don't think it is too much to ask someone who plays pool all day long every day for 10 20 30 years to know the rules follow them and live by them.
I understand that it was all but over but that really should not even be a factor.
It is a matter of following rules or not
If they had said loss of game it would have never left as many of the players minds as just saying oh well! anybody who has been around pool any length of time will have stories of amazing comebacks after some odd thing that happene
One thing is sure there are no amazing comebacks when you ignore the rules

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calling this type "foul" should never be considered. The cue ball was clearly in no danger of scratching.....the match was over, and any continuation would have been more than embarrassing, it would have been unacceptable, especially considering the score.

Technically I would think it's a rules violation to even put your cue on the table with the cue ball moving......and again, in this case it simply didn't matter.

The score can't be taken into account when calling any foul it either is one or it isn't if the ref calls that at the first of the match he has to call it at the end. Would he have called that at in the first game of the match? Also when should this type of foul be called it was a moving ball, what if it was on the second last ball would that be ok? The games not over untill the last ball stops. If this was a game between just two guys no one would call this but with a ref who is sapoused to call all the fouls he has to call this if he seen it because that's his job it's not to look at the score or who is shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue ball definitely hit his stick. The cue ball was definitely not going to scratch.

Question... is there anyone here who would call that foul on an opponent. I know I wouldn't. I had it happen recently where my opponent picked up a moving cueball after making the nine ball and it was close to scratching, but I kept my mouth shut.

Depends on the circumstances. Normally I would not call it on my opponent.

I recently watched a video of Earl where he told a story about him playing Sigel years ago being backed by some shady guys. Earl had a backer and a muscle man. When Sigel quit $50,000 winner Earl's muscle man wanted to shoot Sigel and Earl had to talk the guy out of it. If Earl was letting Sigel slide on a rules violation that guy would probably want to shoot Earl.

I would say any time people other than the players themselves are gambling on the match all rules should be enforced to avoid problems.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you really think about it, there are a lot of fouls that are called every time that would have made no difference in the outcome of the shot or game or match.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
IDK, For $20,000 dollars, he didn't. :wink:
JoeyA

Well if we're gonna stipulate winner takes all in the proposition, then it's fair game
to say he did it for $10,000 :) ...the difference between first and 2nd place.

So, really we're talking 10x the money. For 10x the money I think he would.
But I don't know him, I could be wrong. Personally I wouldn't risk it for 100 bucks.

I think there's some rule about laying the cue entirely on the table, you can't lay it down
to use it as a measuring device... but you can do whatever with it as long as you hold it in one hand.
I never did clear up if that's a league rule, WPA rule, or just something I heard.
I go through some contortions to keep it in one hand when lining up bank or kick systems.

"Never" is a really strong word. There are exceptions to almost anything.
Should they stop giving warnings for speeding and write a ticket for every single offense, even 1 mph over?

When enforcing a rule causes a situation where everyone loses, and nobody's having fun, and nobody benefits...
I can understand if a ref uses their discretion to ignore it. There's a greater good to think about.

By everyone loses I mean the player loses (obviously).
Team USA loses by looking like nits if they're the ones to point out the foul.
The fans lose because they get to see some petty BS to end the cup instead of the usual thrill of victory.
The sport as a whole loses because TV and sponsors see it in a negative light,
where an otherwise entertaining production is marred by anticlimactic nitpicking.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never mind the cue ball! Did anyone else notice how suspiciously "fit" the Euro's were?

I suspect team Europe's testosterone levels were wayyy over the allowed 6:1 ratio and their post drug test will come back positive for a banned substance. Team USA will therefore, be awarded the Cup!!

party.gif

USA! USA!

Or at least, declared a "No Contest".

toetap05.gif

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I think there's some rule about laying the cue entirely on the table, you can't lay it down
to use it as a measuring device... but you can do whatever with it as long as you hold it in one hand.
I never did clear up if that's a league rule, WPA rule, or just something I heard.
I go through some contortions to keep it in one hand when lining up bank or kick systems. ...

From the WPA (world-standardized) rules:

"6.12 Cue Stick on the Table
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul."

So, presumably, it's OK to lay the stick on the table (out of hand) if you are not aligning a shot with it, e.g., while tying your shoes, finding a ref., taking a break, searching for a mechanical bridge, discussing a rule, etc.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.you can see this in football at the conclusion of many games

The score can't be taken into account when calling any foul it either is one or it isn't if the ref calls that at the first of the match he has to call it at the end. Would he have called that at in the first game of the match? Also when should this type of foul be called it was a moving ball, what if it was on the second last ball would that be ok? The games not over untill the last ball stops. If this was a game between just two guys no one would call this but with a ref who is sapoused to call all the fouls he has to call this if he seen it because that's his job it's not to look at the score or who is shooting.

The score is taken into account when calling fouls....you can see this in football at the conclusion of many games.......when a game is over and the rule violation is inconsequential it's a judgement call by the referee.......the Mosconi Cup referee was correct in not calling this foul......it's a "common sense" call if nothing else. 'The Game is the Teacher'

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
yeah...

When I was playing little league, a team mate got a grand slam and after rounding third base some team mates gave him high fives. We were still winning and the grand slam would not have made a difference, but the ref cancelled out the grand slam because the rules stated he wasn't supposed to touch any teammates until after touching home plate.

It was a bs call even if the rules did state it. All things in life require discretion and discernment.

Jaden

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have watched people cheat others for all of my pool life because they bent or broke rules and got away with it
I don't think it is too much to ask someone who plays pool all day long every day for 10 20 30 years to know the rules follow them and live by them.
I understand that it was all but over but that really should not even be a factor.
It is a matter of following rules or not
If they had said loss of game it would have never left as many of the players minds as just saying oh well! anybody who has been around pool any length of time will have stories of amazing comebacks after some odd thing that happene
One thing is sure there are no amazing comebacks when you ignore the rules

I'm with you on every word in your post.
JoeyA

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:rolleyes:

Okay...would someone please post the rules used for the Mosconi Cup and also

all conversations and agreements talked about in the players meeting.

This should settle it....:thumbup:

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
It really isn't that hard...

If your role is player then you shouldn't make the call.
If your role is captain then you shouldn't make the call.
If your role is promoter then you shouldn't make the call.
If your role is spectator then you shouldn't make the call.

But if you role is referee then you should make the call in accordance to the rules and without bias. The outcome of the rule is irrelevant to a referee once an infraction has occurred.

In sports, integrity is more important than political correctness in the long run. It is evident when you watch the sports where referees have their hands tied behind their backs by the league!

Just my opinion....

Ken

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your role is player then you shouldn't make the call.
If your role is captain then you shouldn't make the call.
If your role is promoter then you shouldn't make the call.
If your role is spectator then you shouldn't make the call.

But if you role is referee then you should make the call in accordance to the rules and without bias. The outcome of the rule is irrelevant to a referee once an infraction has occurred.

In sports, integrity is more important than political correctness in the long run. It is evident when you watch the sports where referees have their hands tied behind their backs by the league!

Just my opinion....

Ken

EXACTLY what he said. +1!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's against "the rules," but aren't the rules made to be broken?

The cue ball was clearly not going to scratch....even in big tournaments it's not a big deal to touch the cue ball before it stops rolling if it's clearly not going to scratch. Technically it's against "the rules," but aren't the rules made to be broken? :eek: :dance:

696eb5912e10430af79a6cc02bf14521.jpg

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I don't know if it would have been "right" for the ref to call that foul or not, but it would have made for some hilarious drama one way or another.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

To the best of my knowledge the WPA rules were in effect except for the rules on the break shot. By the WPA rules it is a foul to touch any ball in motion on any shot. But then that's been the rule for pool for a long time. It's just ignored a lot. It's unfortunate that even top players are often ignorant of the rules of the events they play in.