Does anyone know why southwest doesnt make ebony cues anymore

there has been problems with the quality of the avail ebony.

reportedly, some ebony cues were developing cracks.

now they're on hold until reliable ebony becomes avail, once again.

best,
brian kc
 
I have heard getting ebony is difficult and expensive. The wood is becoming endangered and government's are prohibiting export and import! This is the most likely answer to your question in my opinion!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
 
The ebony I don't know but Laurie told me I got one of the very last of the Indian rosewood cues.
 
I have heard getting ebony is difficult and expensive. The wood is becoming endangered and government's are prohibiting export and import! This is the most likely answer to your question in my opinion!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

From what I understand the issue from a legal standpoint has to do with whether it was obtained from Madagascar. Other than that I don't know.
 
There's a lot of problems with aquiring Ebony in todays market,,Look at what happened to Gibson Guitars. The Govt came in and shut them down ,not long ago and confiscated all of their Ebony and said that it came in from the black market. They had a heck of a time straighting that mess out.
 
Yup, some woods are going the way of Ivory and becoming controlled substances.

Kevin
 
The ebony SW was getting cracking is the answer -- told to me by Laurie when I visited her shop last July. Laurie has been offerered ebony from other cuemakers and turned it down as I suppose she wants to keep the source of her woods consistent thru the years.
 
Just watch this video, and you'll know why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCGvfsBoFY

I think ebony with a little color is a great thing.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

It's hard to pick up on camera for me as I use my cell phone but even my Sugartree has streaking in it.

To be totally honest this cue has more streaking than any "black" ebony cue I've ever had.

I LOVE IT personally. I really don't get why you'd want jet jet black stuff. I'm really happy that's not what was used when Eric made this cue.

However it's 99% black, I'm not saying it's striped by any means, just has some good brown areas and I personally like them a lot.

33bekjb.jpg




more pictures with a bit of brown and grey streaking captured,

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=344444
 
Yep, it's no longer an option on their order sheet, gaboon or macassar, for new cue orders.
 
OMG! Someone actually suspected them of surreptitiously funneling an illegal product into the "legal" market? Who would have guessed? We know that could never happen with ivory. People who buy and sell ivory told us so. Right here.

"One can always trust sources on the internet, they never lie" - Julius Caesar


I believe that quote sums it up. If the ivory sellers say it's legal, then it surely is legal. No way it isn't.
 
Just watch this video, and you'll know why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCGvfsBoFY

I think ebony with a little color is a great thing.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Thats a cool video.

The pool player in me says "Nice. He just created a way to charge A prices for B wood" but the decision makes a lot of sense long term. Have to respect someone that puts up his own time and money to try to change the paradigm.
 
Back
Top