Got a real knucklehead for a billiard room owner...

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Here is how i know and please let me know if you would consider this guy a knucklehead also...

Mr Shannon Daulton walks into this guys poolroom giving a local guy some 1-hole lessons. While in he meanwhile gets into a conversation with the owner about maybe having a GSBT event at his establishment.
The Owner says...The only guy that makes any money in that deal is the tournament owner. Well Shannon says he knows he has had only 1 other event at this place and apparently they guy stuck him pretty deep to get it in there.
In any case Shannon politely replies he is sorry he feels this way...
Here is where the owner really shows how much he knows about pool...I'm giggling already inside...sorry..lol

Anyway the owner says if i want to draw people to his place of business then he would get, and i quote" a real professional poolplayer like Ewa Lawrence to put on an exhibition and pay her 1500 or 2000 to do it...

I totally think Ewa is a fantastic player and would draw a crowd but my point is that he didn't even know who Shannon was....lol!!!

It seems that this guy is in real need of a pool player profile lesson don't you? I'm still giggling...lol!!!!
 
WOW!!!!!!!! :eek: that is freaken HILARIOUS! :rotflmao1:

I'm surprised Shannon didn't start laughing...
 
Here is how i know and please let me know if you would consider this guy a knucklehead also...

Mr Shannon Daulton walks into this guys poolroom giving a local guy some 1-hole lessons. While in he meanwhile gets into a conversation with the owner about maybe having a GSBT event at his establishment.
The Owner says...The only guy that makes any money in that deal is the tournament owner. Well Shannon says he knows he has had only 1 other event at this place and apparently they guy stuck him pretty deep to get it in there.
In any case Shannon politely replies he is sorry he feels this way...
Here is where the owner really shows how much he knows about pool...I'm giggling already inside...sorry..lol

Anyway the owner says if i want to draw people to his place of business then he would get, and i quote" a real professional poolplayer like Ewa Lawrence to put on an exhibition and pay her 1500 or 2000 to do it...

I totally think Ewa is a fantastic player and would draw a crowd but my point is that he didn't even know who Shannon was....lol!!!

It seems that this guy is in real need of a pool player profile lesson don't you? I'm still giggling...lol!!!!

:rotflmao1:

Wow, just...wow. A "Real Pro-feshunal", huh?

I wonder what Ewa would need from Shannon Daulton to make even a somewhat fair game?
 
Sadly, I met the same kind of person a few years back. His room is now closed, lasted about three years but I honestly don't know how. I was talking to him about Buddy Hall one day and realized that he had no idea who I was talking about. His place was pretty much a dump and he referred to it as "upscale".:eek:
 
:rotflmao1:

Wow, just...wow. A "Real Pro-feshunal", huh?

I wonder what Ewa would need from Shannon Daulton to make even a somewhat fair game?


She would need the world and every last thing in it....unless if she titty hooks him every shot ROFLMAO


I agree i hate retarted room owners. The two biggest idoit owners that got cross with me for no good reason both of those guys dont own those rooms anymore, one failed and the other had to sell out b/c he ran it into the toilet and it was once the most profitable place in that town.

Heres what happened b/t me and the fella (1st guy) that bankrupted. He held two tournaments a week 9 and 8 ball one on mon and one on thurs. I would walk in and walk out with the cash every time (never lost it, but would not play sometimes as not to run everyone away from the fishing hole, plus we were all friends) and would give lessons to some of the players and we would also play for cheap and I'd give em some good weight to make it a challenge, I never had a problem b/f that one day.

I was way on the other side of town and it was 5min till 7 and i was going to be about 5 min late by my calculations, and the tourney started at 7. I called him and told him this and he didn't say anything to the effect that i couldn't play if I was late (most tourneys anyplace give you a 15min window once your match begins) so I get there and after parking and walking inside it was 7:07 and they hadn't even made up the brackets yet...so it shouldn't have been an issue. Well he says "YOUR LATE, WE STARTED AT 7!"

I said I know thats why i called you a few minutes early to let you know i was on my way and was just going to be a few min late, your not even done getting everyones money so whats the big deal? Well he just blew up and started running off at the mouth. So i called him out about how he had stolen some repair work one of the players had wanted me to do. (he left his cue for me there and the owner took it upon himself to do the work, utter BS) well I had him cornered on that note so he crawfished and started to threaten to call the cops if i didn't get out his place....told me "YOUR BANNED HOW YOU LIKE THAT!" As I was walking out the door i told him, "you won't last till the end of the year in this place"

6-8months later he just folded...no one wanted to go there, and everyone that knew me thought he was a dik for going off the air like that for no reason....and to think i helped him brush his own dam tables. Its really too bad too b/c we need as many pool halls as we can get.

gawd save the pool hall,
Grey Ghost
 
Last edited:
> I've had a bad experience with an owner as well. Before I get into that,I have a story about clueless poolroom employees,along the same lines of the one about Shannon,and involves Buddy.

I was at Starcher's in Akron one time when one of their tournaments coincided with the yearly trip to see my grandparents. All the big guns are there,and Buddy came up to the counter with his tray of balls,and tells the hot but vapid girl behind it that "Dottie doesn't make me pay,I'm Buddy Hall".

Her response was "well good,I'm Madonna :eek:"

The old-timer that used to own the poolroom here refused to allow me to have one of the tables completely reworked and recovered in Simonis ON MY OWN DIME for years.

I was unwilling to completely relocate just to be closer to good equipment,but was spending literally over 40 hours a week in this place at the time,so it made sense for me to try and fix this table up something close to conditions at high-level tournaments. The slate seams were busted,big pockets,and slow cloth. I had a guy ready to come do the work with a phone call and the owner turned me down at least 5 times.

This same guy kicked me out for week/months at a time for breaking the balls "too hard",allowing my shaft to bend on the break (like I can consciously stop that),jumping balls,and one time for shooting the same shot 100 times or so and leaving a white spot on the already worn-out cloth.

His reasoning was "If I let you do that,you'll start up with that breaking the balls like a maniac and curving the damn cue ball and all that crazy stuff you see on tv". Tommy D.
 
Here is how i know and please let me know if you would consider this guy a knucklehead also...

Mr Shannon Daulton walks into this guys poolroom giving a local guy some 1-hole lessons. While in he meanwhile gets into a conversation with the owner about maybe having a GSBT event at his establishment.
The Owner says...The only guy that makes any money in that deal is the tournament owner. Well Shannon says he knows he has had only 1 other event at this place and apparently they guy stuck him pretty deep to get it in there.
In any case Shannon politely replies he is sorry he feels this way...
Here is where the owner really shows how much he knows about pool...I'm giggling already inside...sorry..lol

Anyway the owner says if i want to draw people to his place of business then he would get, and i quote" a real professional poolplayer like Ewa Lawrence to put on an exhibition and pay her 1500 or 2000 to do it...

I totally think Ewa is a fantastic player and would draw a crowd but my point is that he didn't even know who Shannon was....lol!!!

It seems that this guy is in real need of a pool player profile lesson don't you? I'm still giggling...lol!!!!


I have seen this time and time again. It is so hard to make a poolroom successful and then you (the customer) have to be fortunate enough to have people running the place that know what the hell is going on.
 
the pool room owner was right

The pool room owner was right. Not about "real professional" but about who would draw people off the street into his place. Shannon doesn't have a fraction of the name recognition that Ewa does and Ewa is considerably better looking in my totally biased opinion. If I was a room owner trying to get new faces in the place I'd go with a more recognized player over a better player in a heartbeat.

I think if most of the guys on this forum were honest they would admit they are a lot more likely to turn out to see Ewa at the local hall than Shannon anyway. Promotion is about what people want to see not about who is best.

Hu
 
A similar thing happened a couple of years ago at a big tournament here in Texas. I guy was video taping matches and then selling them. He has several cameras and would set them up at different tables when certain matches would start.

One of the matches that was going on was with SVB, right in front of the bleachers (i..e, he was put on that front table for the audience - all the big matches were put on the front tables). I asked the guy, "Why didn't you tape that match?" "Oh, is he a good player or something?" he seriously asks me.

That story STILL makes me laugh!
 
Tiger was that poolroom in SC.I know an idiot that owns a poolroom that GSBT held an event at about a year ago(dont want to give an excact day)since u didnt mention his establishment name.He might sue me,I bet his name is Steve(alot of Steves in SC)And Ewa is the APA operater ,He has a nice room and no players.He advertised a couple 1000 $ touneys then didnt add any money,So when people come into town they usualy go to his room and leave saying that there is no action at the beach(or players)not knowing that all the players go to a small bar with 5 Barboxes to play rather than his large upscale room.He is bad 4 the game period,PM me and let me know if this is the same DUMBA..
 
A similar thing happened a couple of years ago at a big tournament here in Texas. I guy was video taping matches and then selling them. He has several cameras and would set them up at different tables when certain matches would start.

One of the matches that was going on was with SVB, right in front of the bleachers (i..e, he was put on that front table for the audience - all the big matches were put on the front tables). I asked the guy, "Why didn't you tape that match?" "Oh, is he a good player or something?" he seriously asks me.

That story STILL makes me laugh!

That is comical.
 
The pool room owner was right. Not about "real professional" but about who would draw people off the street into his place. Shannon doesn't have a fraction of the name recognition that Ewa does and Ewa is considerably better looking in my totally biased opinion. If I was a room owner trying to get new faces in the place I'd go with a more recognized player over a better player in a heartbeat.

I think if most of the guys on this forum were honest they would admit they are a lot more likely to turn out to see Ewa at the local hall than Shannon anyway. Promotion is about what people want to see not about who is best.

Hu

And that's the right answer.

A fight between Vitali Klitschko and Wladimir Klitschko is the fight hard core boxing fans would want to see.

Ali-Frazier IV would have a bigger commercial appeal.

LWW
 
What does a pool owner's bottom line look like after hosting a tournament such as a GSBT? It's a speculative investment in the future, isn't it?
 
The pool room owner was right. Not about "real professional" but about who would draw people off the street into his place. Shannon doesn't have a fraction of the name recognition that Ewa does and Ewa is considerably better looking in my totally biased opinion. If I was a room owner trying to get new faces in the place I'd go with a more recognized player over a better player in a heartbeat.

I think if most of the guys on this forum were honest they would admit they are a lot more likely to turn out to see Ewa at the local hall than Shannon anyway. Promotion is about what people want to see not about who is best.

Hu

My thoughts exactly. As clueless as he definitely is, Ewa lawrence would outdraw Shannon or any other male pro at least 2 to 1. Sad but true commentary on men's pool in 2010.

MM
 
Last edited:
Ewa-$1500-$2000 exhibition cost. 3-5 hrs. audience 100-150 people at $10 door charge, -$500 to -$1000 besides drinks,food,etc. maybe break even.



GSBT- $1500-$2000 added tournament brings 50 players for the tournament, plus G/F-wives-friends so thats still 100-150 people total for 2-3 days for the whole tournament. Drinks,Food,etc...for 2-3 days I'm sorry to say but I can't see nothing but a huge profit.
 
GSBT- $1500-$2000 added tournament brings 50 players for the tournament, plus G/F-wives-friends so thats still 100-150 people total for 2-3 days for the whole tournament. Drinks,Food,etc...for 2-3 days I'm sorry to say but I can't see nothing but a huge profit.[/QUOTE]

Thats only true if you draw 100-150 people in a small town.I doubt it.
 
:rotflmao1:

Wow, just...wow. A "Real Pro-feshunal", huh?

I wonder what Ewa would need from Shannon Daulton to make even a somewhat fair game?

I disagree. I think Shannon would need a spot. Ewa's got mad talent and she's been underestimated.

A fair spot would be, the shirt off he back! :eek: That'd put a hitch in the Cannon's stroke! :)

(sorry Marge j/k!)
 
My thoughts exactly. As clueless as he definitely is, Ewa lawrence would outdraw Shannon or any other male pro at least 2 to 1. Sad but true commentary on men's pool in 2010.

MM

Not true in the slightest IMO. If Eva was doing a exhibition on one side of the room and Efren was doing an exhibition on the other side of the room Efren would have a crowd around him with people in the back standing on chairs, and Eva would have 3 nerdy looking guys walking around the table staring at her butt each time she takes a shot.
 
Back
Top