i needed that

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was moping around today because of my bad finish at open.
so i decided to practice some 14.1 on a diamond smart table.
i actually never hardly play the game anymore but decided to play some.
long story short i ran 240 and got the most brutal roll at the end were i was hooked.
anyway from what i understand thats the highest run on a diamond smartable9ft by almost 100 balls by anyone.
im starting to think i only play good for fun.its a shame because if i played like i practice i would be fairly tough to beat.
p. s. i got it all on camera so i might make some dvds and sell them cheap.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
At the Open I heard you played good and worse off got played reallly good against. Heard your opponents played perfect, nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever! Lot of people went to the left side early in t hat tourney.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member

How great is that ! That is something. You are among very few in the World that can do that.
I seen you last year up at Click's on Marsh Ln talking to Royce while you were practicing. I was up there on my league night. There were so many guys around you that I kept away but if your ever there again and I am up there. I would like to shake your hand.
Mike G.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
long story short i ran 240 and got the most brutal roll at the end were i was hooked.
anyway from what i understand thats the highest run on a diamond smartable9ft by almost 100 balls by anyone.
im starting to think i only play good for fun.its a shame because if i played like i practice i would be fairly tough to beat.

240 on a Diamond...

You suck and I hate you.

Lou Figueroa
just kidding, John :)
and I'll buy the DVD

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

for the record balls were polished,cloth 2 months old.and the room is dry.
im proud of the run but without those perfect conditions it would have been impossible.
thanks for the nice words though.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
If only we could make a living playing Casper. :wink: Ever consider a sports psychologist? Maybe play a trick on yourself in your next match. Instead of thinking about winning, or x's and o's. Try to just enjoy playing and smiling no matter what the results are. Once you enjoy playing in competition, the brain releases endorphins and all the magic starts to happen. Winning will become the result of the enjoyment you get from playing in competition. If nothing else, keep playing 14.1.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't get down on yourself partner. You are still one of the best in this country.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
240 on a diamond is freakin sick!!!!

I havent watched it in a while, but I have the tape when you played Sigel. Wasnt this your first 14.1 tourney? May have been the one that Mike snapped his shaft but Im not sure. Anyway I remember the person doing the commentary saying that everyone told him how straight you shot.

Dont let the open get you down, how did Newman say it? "The balls roll funny for everybody" or something like that :)

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Yeah I will take a copy of that too.

I will never forget the time you drilled me with the 5 and out, back in new York !!!

You are still a freaking monster, keep on playin 14.1 if any thing else. You have a true talent for the game. And you play the game how it should be played and not just a nine ball player adapting to a differant game of pool !

You have a genuine old school style of play and a he'll of a stroke to get yourself out of trouble when needed !

Keep on shootin Johnie!!!
Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Wow! 240 on a Diamond!!:thumbup:
I guess your shoulder is back.

And captured on dvd. You know I'm in for one.

Keep at it and I'll see you at the Derby.:grin:

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I would love to have a copy as i will be practicing a diamond table as well. So watching you run240 I am sure I could learn what I can and cant get away with on the pockets and rails.

joewag2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's fantastic John. Glad to hear you were recording it! (I'll want a copy!).

Take care,

Joe

dirtypool40

I love this freakin' game
Silver Member
Ever consider a sports psychologist? Maybe play a trick on yourself in your next match. Instead of thinking about winning, or x's and o's. Try to just enjoy playing and smiling no matter what the results are. Once you enjoy playing in competition, the brain releases endorphins and all the magic starts to happen. Winning will become the result of the enjoyment you get from playing in competition.

Good advice. And at pool, I am a struggling "maybe B" player, but we are all trying to perform better under pressure, and find consistency.

PLEASE don't take this as criticism, just as interested discussion.

I made "Master" level fairly quickly in the shooting competitions I loved for 10 years. Although I was shooting well and learning, I kept "pushing that bow wave" and couldn't get "up on plane" to make "grand master" or finish well in the bigger matches.

Now I am no national champ or anything, but I learned a lot on the journey.

I realized after a point it wasn't what I knew, but what I could execute, and how well I could perform, first time, right now, on game day.

I looked at exercise, nutrition, mental prep, relaxation.

I read a lot of the "mental toughness for competition" type books, Lanny Basham's "With Winning in Mind" etc, and got myself into better and better "shape" and tougher competitions.

When I quit "trying" and started to enjoy, and let things happen.... they did. I made GM and started to finish well overall in bigger matches.

At your level, already a TOP pro, the curve flattens out, but there are still ups and downs.

Put in the hard work, for sure, but also remember to relax and have fun with it.

Oh, and 240 on a Diamond is KUH-razy!!!