ICCS Lifetime Achievement Award Presented to the Late John Wright

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
At the recent 2011 International Cue Collector Show, I was afforded the high privilege and signal honor to present the show`s first ever ICCS Lifetime Achievement Award to the late John Wright, of Palatine, Illinois.

For over three decades John was widely recognized as the preeminent procurer and reseller of cues by the world`s leading cuemakers. John was personally instrumental in fostering growth in the custom cue industry, aiding in the development of many young cuemakers of his era, and is often thought of as the "Babe Ruth" of his vocation.

Extremely well-liked by those who knew him due to his gregarious nature and outgoing personality, thousands looked forward with anticipation to his classic photo mailings of the industry`s newest offerings. These mailings were a sort of "Sears Catalog" of dreams for many, and actually served as a catalyst to develop both collectors and cuemakers. The mailings were even put on bulletin boards in many poolrooms around the country (and the world).

The ICCS takes great pride in recognizing John for his tremendous contributions.

John`s son Greg, along with his beautiful wife and young son Ian (which is a form of John) were present for the presentation at the Awards Dinner.

......Something rare and beautiful occurred during the presentation. One of the world`s top cuemakers rose and asked if he could make a comment, and then tearfully stated that he would not have been where he is today if it were not for John. This was followed by about a dozen people, both collectors and cuemakers, each rising to make a poignant, personal comment.....all spontaneous and heartfelt.......yes, there were a lot of moist eyes, and a memorable few minutes happened that will be remembered always.

Thanks, John, for all the time you spent with all of us, for your friendship, patience and involvement with these cues we love so much. The industry will not forget you.

Will Prout
ICCS President

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Wonderful gesture Will. Wonderful. A lot of us would not have developed a love and appreciation for fine cues if not for the tireless efforts of John Wright. He was a pioneer in the business and a very nice man to deal with.

I always looked forward to getting a set of pictures each year from John and dreaming of the day when I could afford to buy some of the cues he dealt in.

bstroud

Deceased
John Wright did more to promote Josswest cues than anyone else has ever done. He was my best customer.

Cues you sold him had to be perfect. He never let anything get past him.

The only time he was wrong was when I sent him the first cue with a Radial pin. He said that it would never be popular?

I still miss him.

Bill Stroud

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://www.insidepool.com/images/upload/John_Wright2.jpg
I had a few dealings with John and liked him a lot. He was half Greek and I miss when he would call me with his latest acquisition greeting me with "YASOU PAUL"
My brother-in-law lives near Palatine and whenever I'm visiting him I'll drive by the water tower with Palatine on it and think of John.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
http://www.insidepool.com/images/upload/John_Wright2.jpg
I had a few dealings with John and liked him a lot. He was half Greek and I miss when he would call me with his latest acquisition greeting me with "YASOU PAUL"
My brother-in-law lives near Palatine and whenever I'm visiting him I'll drive by the water tower with Palatine on it and think of John.

Thx for the picture, I do remember seeing him tho don't know when. I left the Chicago area in 67.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That was a great pick, Will. Although John's heyday was before I started collecting cues, I have heard nothing but great things about him. His website was still around and I was able to get a lot of information from it.

I'm just sorry I didn't get a chance to meet him.

Chris

Last edited:

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good ol' John..

1st, :happy-birthday: Will .. :)

John bought 100's of caps from me.. He was one of my "Regulars"...
John put on caps on ever cue he had/sold.. What attention to detail for sales..
I remember when talking to him ( yes, via Dial-up Telephone :grin-square:),
he would twiddle his tongue and make those "di di di" sound when he was think of
what kind of caps to order.... Classic John Wright!!!

I got 100's of his cue photos.. They can be considered one of the largest Photographic collection of cues
( especially Bill Stroud's works) to be seen in one place..

Good ol' John Wright.... What a nice legacy by Will and the ICCS..
Will , you did a nice thing for John.. He is loved by many..

Sincerly,
Alton

Attachments

• John_Wright2.jpg
    John_Wright2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Hi Bill.............

John Wright did more to promote Josswest cues than anyone else has ever done. He was my best customer.

Cues you sold him had to be perfect. He never let anything get past him.

The only time he was wrong was when I sent him the first cue with a Radial pin. He said that it would never be popular?

I still miss him.

Bill Stroud

Hi Bill,

I remember when you called me while I was in Ohio on a business trip to let me know you had just heard of John`s passing. I was shocked. October 15, 2004. Seven years ago, the time does move along.............

How true, he sure was particular about the cues he would acquire, and the cuemakers he would represent.

Have a great Christmas!

Will

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
You Are Right...........

1st, :happy-birthday: Will .. :)

John bought 100's of caps from me.. He was one of my "Regulars"...
John put on caps on ever cue he had/sold.. What attention to detail for sales..
I remember when talking to him ( yes, via Dial-up Telephone :grin-square:),
he would twiddle his tongue and make those "di di di" sound when he was think of
what kind of caps to order.... Classic John Wright!!!

I got 100's of his cue photos.. They can be considered one of the largest Photographic collection of cues
( especially Bill Stroud's works) to be seen in one place..

Good ol' John Wright.... What a nice legacy by Will and the ICCS..
Will , you did a nice thing for John.. He is loved by many..

Sincerly,
Alton

Alton,

You are right, I remember the "di di di" sounds, and also the "shucky-darns" he would say................

Will

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
(W)right on all counts. I had a lot of fun with John, dickering over the price of cues we would buy and sell back and forth. He was tough but fair in all his dealings. And honest to a fault! He would never hesitate to send me a very expensive cue if I felt I had a good customer for it. He trusted me explicitly and for that alone I am grateful to him. I sold quite a few nice cues to John and he always paid me promptly with no questions asked. Of course if the cue wasn't up to snuff in some respect he would let me know. John KNEW his cues!

He was a pleasure to talk with on the phone, quick with the quips and right to the point in his negotiations. No wasted words with John when it came to making a deal. When we agreed on a price, it was like money in the bank. John did not turn around and look for a better deal like some people do today. He honored his word even if someone made him a better offer after the fact.

He loved to play pool too, and was a better than average player. I too was shocked to learn of his passing. We had talked only a few short weeks before and he made no mention of any infirmities. John was not that old, maybe in his early 50's. Boy, did he always have the most marvelous cues! What a collection of beauties he had for sale. I would cream my jeans every time he sent me an e-mail with his latest offerings. Sad to say I was usually the middle man for more well heeled buyers. I did get one very nice Szamboti from him that I managed to hang onto for about five years.

Rest in peace my friend. Nice to see you being honored this way. :thumbup2:

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Will and everyone else, thank you for honoring John. I got to know him while I lived in Chicago. He was definitely a unique individual. I got to learn about cues and see some of the most beautiful cues while I was around him.

We gambled many times as well and while sometimes hard to deal with, he always had nice things to say after the matches. The roundabout ways he could get to a compliment were one of a kind and the ways he could correct you on a fact about pool or cues or anything in life were equally unique.

I have to thank him for some of the best lines I have ever heard and repeat today. A couple of them, "Around the world without hitting a thing." after I would kick at a ball and hit absolutely nothing on the table. And, "Just rearranging the furniture." after he would fire at a ball a million miles an hour and moving just about every ball on the table.

All-in-all, he was one of the greatest guys you could meet in the pool world. I thank him for educating me about many things in the pool world and always having my best interest at heart. I hope he is still firing at the nine, no matter where it lies, every chance he gets up there!

Sarah

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
I had never met John.

From all the stories that I have heard about John, that award surely goes to the right person.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the info, I bought a Hunter Classic from Bill at Cornerstone about 5 years ago. I wrote Wes a letter with a photo of the cue to see if he could give me some history about the cue. All he could tell me was that he sold the cue in 1999 to John Wright. Now I know some of the rest of the story. Sounds like he was a great guy. Tom

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still have some of his old photos he mailed to me back in the day. For me it was as exciting as looking at Playboy or something. I remember my dad sold John a Balabushka, then seeing it for sale in the next set of photos he mailed out. If anyone can post some of the old Wright photo's and prices, they are really neat to look at. Try not to cry, when you see what you could have bought a bushka or szam for. I remember thinking that the prices were outrageous then. If we only knew!

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
How True............

I still have some of his old photos he mailed to me back in the day. For me it was as exciting as looking at Playboy or something. I remember my dad sold John a Balabushka, then seeing it for sale in the next set of photos he mailed out. If anyone can post some of the old Wright photo's and prices, they are really neat to look at. Try not to cry, when you see what you could have bought a bushka or szam for. I remember thinking that the prices were outrageous then. If we only knew!

Yes, his photo mailings were special. I still have every mailing he ever did. I have them carefully placed in photo binders along with the prices for the mailing.

I believe the Palmer Collector website has a number of the mailings available on his site.

Will

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My John Wright Site

I started this site a while back, with John Wright's photographs.....
It takes so much time and effort to scan/copy/crop/reduce/file/upload...:thud:

There's more that a hundred more....:yikes:
I have a hard time to keep up...
But...

John... This is for you...... :thumbup:
Hope you all enjoy what little I've posted..
Click on the photos to enlarge.... :wink:

http://johnwrightcollection.weebly.com/

Alton ...... :)

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started this site a while back, with John Wright's photographs.....
It takes so much time and effort to scan/copy/crop/reduce/file/upload...:thud:

There's more that a hundred more....:yikes:
I have a hard time to keep up...
But...

John... This is for you...... :thumbup:
Hope you all enjoy what little I've posted..
Click on the photos to enlarge.... :wink:

Alton ...... :)

Thanks for uploading the photos. I think I see my Omega DPK in the 1993 batch. The year would be about right. I asked him to pick a good one for me and he did. I've always loved that cue. I just took it out and looked at it again.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
JOHN was a friend who died too young and i miss him. If you have 5 true feiends in your life your lucky and JOHN was one of mind.

Our paths crossed in the 80's via cues. As time progressed we had frequent, protracted conversations covering many topics to include German women, Gambling (pool, boats,etc.), Cue makers, Chicago politics, bowling, john gacy, the start up of the Omego cue endeaver, could the Southwest "hit" be duplicated on a consistant basis, parenting, cues being held hostage for ransom, etc., etc., etc.

i can't help but wonder how many of "my" cues found a home with other forum members and vice versa through him.

See ya on down the road ol friend...

Last edited: