Just asked to have both my accounts deleted

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I guess I'll have to visit the mechanics forum for the first time.

I'm betting Russ will be back eventually, he just gets fired up easily.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Originally Posted by marek View Post
Well call me thin-skinned all you want but labeling for example post #168 from this thread https://forums.azbilliards.com/showt...484393&page=12 as a joke or funny response is not my cup of tea,its purely disgusting...

I don't think that guy was actually trying to be funny particularly. More like, he was simply being extremely sarcastic and derogatorily rude, saying Mario He is obese / fat. One thing I'll guess, like most "keyboard cowboys" ( thanks Garczar ) who make fun of / run down people here, he couldn't hit the end rail with three tries, let alone play anywhere near 2 or 3 balls under Mario He. C'est la vie... The up side on that particular post? The guy's only posted 32 times in going on 8 years. Thank God for small favors...

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Jay hit it on the head earlier: people will say (post) things on a forum that they would not be rude enough to say in person. Throw in the fact that it is hard to convey tone of voice, sarcasm, and inflection through the typed conversation, and people get insulted.

Man I would love to see more high level players post here. What a wealth of knowledge we could have if CJ Wiley, Justin Bergman, Johnny Archer, Appleton, Dechaine, Bartram, and other pros who I have seen post here were still around and contributing! Throw in Marek, JHelfert, Bstroud, and others and you have a whole bunch of folks who have played at a very high level offering free tips and advice...

And that's in addition to all the instructors, mechanics, and cue makers who post here and take the time to make and link youtube videos. Heck not too long ago one of the highest profile case manufacturers in the world was a regular here.

There is not a question you can ask on these forums and not get expert opinion. You may not like the opinion or agree with it, but that is a very valuable resource to have at your finger tips.

Point is, I am very thankful for EVERYONE who contributes to the wealth of knowledge found on these forums and its a shame when anyone lets trolls, jerks, and pot stirrers get to them or run them off.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are a bit of a whiner, marek. I find it annoying, and often get the urge to say to you : "why don't you shut up, you whiner." But I don't, because I'm not going to change you. You're just a whiner. I forgot my point...eh :shrug:

I have been here on AZB since 2005 and things were VERY different back then. And by checking your profile I can see that you have been here since 2007 so you have to remember that first hand as well. The fact is that there are several pool-related groups at FB where the discussion is very civil/informative while catering to large number of members without any trolling AT ALL, for example facebook group "Mezz Cue Fans - International" has 3899 members as of today and there are no fights, no name-calling, no trolling in general because the admin does his job policing any and all unwanted elements properly - in timely manner and without exceptions. In about 18 months i have been member there I remember just one argument and even that was handled in a very civil manner. So no, you are not right in your statement, definitely not ANY forum has that "clash-ratio" you are talking about. And yes, jumping AZBs ship is certainly a thought that is keep coming more and more often in my case, I thought that my time-out in September and reevaluating my aproach to posting here would help me to re-ignite my love for AZB but the fact is that AZB became a quite toxic place to be, plain and simple...:confused::frown:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I feel you Russ. The forum's not that enjoyable anymore, and I feel like it used to be better.

That said, I don't think it's useful to make these "goodbye cruel world" posts.

The people you're hoping to guilt trip (this random hater or Wilson or whoever)... they won't care.
Hell, you might have made their day. And with the dramatic exit, you limit your own options.
if you get the wild urge to participate in some random thread in a month, now you can't without looking a bit foolish.

Better to simply keep your options open - bail out and just don't post for a year
if you get sick of the atmosphere. Find a new home to get your daily fix.
Like switching pool rooms so you can give your lungs a break from smoke.

Then you can visit the old spot occasionally, out of nostalgia... participate (or not) on your own terms,
and leave again whenever you feel like it, without feeling shitty about it.

I had to find a new spot too, and I'm much happier there. I think this forum just got too big,
more than one mod could handle... and that mod already tolerated a lot of bullshit.
And to some extent you gotta recognize that a lot of conflict is avoidable, but people sign up for it.
It's hard not to fire back at every random potshot and pissant.

Find yourself a smaller place with a strict focus on mutual respect, well-monitored by someone
you like and respect, like those Facebook groups Marek mentioned. They're out there.
It's refreshing.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I think Jay hit it on the head earlier: people will say (post) things on a forum that they would not be rude enough to say in person. Throw in the fact that it is hard to convey tone of voice, sarcasm, and inflection through the typed conversation, and people get insulted.

Man I would love to see more high level players post here. What a wealth of knowledge we could have if CJ Wiley, Justin Bergman, Johnny Archer, Appleton, Dechaine, Bartram, and other pros who I have seen post here were still around and contributing! Throw in Marek, JHelfert, Bstroud, and others and you have a whole bunch of folks who have played at a very high level offering free tips and advice...

And that's in addition to all the instructors, mechanics, and cue makers who post here and take the time to make and link youtube videos. Heck not too long ago one of the highest profile case manufacturers in the world was a regular here.

There is not a question you can ask on these forums and not get expert opinion. You may not like the opinion or agree with it, but that is a very valuable resource to have at your finger tips.

Point is, I am very thankful for EVERYONE who contributes to the wealth of knowledge found on these forums and its a shame when anyone lets trolls, jerks, and pot stirrers get to them or run them off.

Tap tap tap.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Russ Chewning/ShortBusRuss here.

I just sent the below PM to Mr. Wilson. Just saying goodbye to all the good peeps on here, and a big F U to trentfromtoledo, who polluted no less than half of the threads I saw on the Mechanics forum.

I like most of the peeps on here.. Come say Hi to me if you are coming to Derby...

Mr. Wilson,

Yeah.. I have enough of totalitarianism, wherever it might be found. The freaking pool hall I learned to play in (Malarkey's in Tacoma) is closing down, and I couldn't even participate in the discussion, so...

I have been relatively well behaved on here and the only reason I got into it with trentfromtoledo is because he was allowed to harass the ever-loving shit out of both myself and realkingcobra in a thread he was repeatedly told his input was not welcome in. So YEAH.. I WAS feeling a little froggy with him in particular. He is allowed to pollute tons of threads on the Mechanic forum, and you allowed him to continue doing so, but I am the one who gets banned.

So, yeah.. Please delete both accounts, and all the postings.

I've felt this way many times before on this forum. So many times people go out of their way to get under your skin, for kicks. As it is, this forum doesn't really reward or protect positive contributors. In fact many of the "protected" members are among the worst offenders.

I've taken many breaks, and I suggest you do the same. Let your head cool a bit, and come back whenever you feel like it.

You've been a good, long time poster, and while the loss of one such poster may not cause immidiate havoc on the forum, the forum is currently suffering from losing a lot of posters like you, slowly over time. They leave without saying anything, and nobody notices, until there is nothing interesting to read in the main forum....

Do what you feel you need to do, but please consider staying.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya ought to reconsider Russ. You can hang around and stir up shit all you want. What's the worst they can do? Hell look at how many times they banned that case maker. There are plenty of nits though I will agree to that.. Either way do what you gotta do for you!

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
2 accounts

I guess that is within the rules, but seriously let’s delete anyone with more than one account (especially the trolls) present company excluded I’m sure.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shame to lose such a valued and knowledgeable poster on our forum but I respect your decision, Russ. Make sure to say hi at the Derby.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
With your temperament, you are IMHO not a good idea for any moderator position.

I have seen it and read about it a thousand times here on AZB. So many posters get honked and frustrated when a few others try and turn their threads into a joke or start with the insults or turn the thread towards a different direction.

Unfortunately, we've lost a lot of good and knowledgeable people here on AZB because of this. Losing posters like Dave Sapolis just isn't good for business. Its obvious there needs to be more monitoring to stop this or at least stop a good percentage of it.

Having said that, I'd like to once again let the Mods - AZHousePro, Mr. Wilson, Chucklez, etc - know that I will be glad to be a moderator for you and maybe we can try and "Make AZB Great Again.."

r/DCP

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't everybody? Gotta have at least one person who's gonna agree with you...:sorry:

I didn't know we was allowed to have two accounts. That explains a lot of situations.

I'm to lazy to operate two accounts so I will just stick with one.

After thinking about it, it would be like having two wives.......screw that, one is enough work to keep happy.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your logic seems flawless...only with one exception: when you post in some thread or you even open a new thread you kinda want to know whats new in that one. And actually it is quite easier for me to avoid conflict in real life than here to be honest, people can be really mean online vs how they speak in real life..

I agree!!!!

I started a thread about people pretending to be what they aren't just today.

Ran into a guy that told me online he was in early 60's, could put up 100+ in str8 pool pretty often, put 4 to 6 ten ball packs together, was a VERY well paid pool instructor/ coach etc...etc...

Well, I figured out who he was in real life. He didn't know I knew who he was. I called him (face to face) on all his claims and he hit the door so fast I thought he was gonna break it down trying to leave the room.

Makes me wonder just how many more are like that?

I'm to the place that I dont believe anything unless there is a video or credible witnesses that vouch when its pool related and online with stranger or internet acquaintances that I've never met.

For that same reason, I've decided to never "tell" anyone, "yes, I can do this or that".

I've decided that "VIDEO" is the only way.

SHOW IT...........DON'T SAY IT.

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think anyone should have two accounts. Not talking about Russ.

I would like to know, seriously, why does anyone "need" two accounts?

AZB is making a huge mistake by letting ANYONE have two accounts.

Actually, it shows just how inexperienced some people can be. I definitely wouldn't want the person/person's that made the decision to let multiple accounts fly have ANYTHING to do with my businesses. NOT IN THE LEAST.....

Rake

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't blame AZB for "letting people have 2 accounts". First of all they can't constantly check the IPs of all the posters here. And then there are various ways that you can have sneaky second accounts - VPN and proxy have been mentioned. I am sure that AZB does not approve of people with 2 accounts or more but they just can't check everything. Maybe you want to volunteer to do this?

Back to topic: There are people who are just misbehaving on the internet and this has been the case as long as the internet exists - maybe not so much in it's beginnings as Arpanet and during the times when only a few people had internet access. I remember those days. Nowadays, when every id**t can easily access the net without knowing DOS etc. to set up their computers this obviously became a problem - the history of Usenet shows this clearly.

But - in a forum like this there is some moderation and I don't see that nothing is done about it. AZB moderators have to consider a few things - do they want to appear like the Gestapo or do they want to let things get out of hand. They sure do a decent job of it. It could be better but then again I don't believe you can't make everyone happy. So, there are always some limitations as to what time constraints and the required tolerance of SOME bs allow.

What I do notice in such threads as this one: The people who claim to be so offended as to quit, take a break or whine are not the saints they claim to be.

We have two examples here: ShortBusRuss feels offended by trentfromtoledo and in a thread he mentioned another thread in which trent supposedly was extremely rude. I read that thread out of curiosity. I did not notice anything that I would have taken too seriously. OTOH, ShortBusRuss did make some harsh comments himself.

Marek also complains about offensive people. Yes, there are people using offensive language and they should be banned. It happens, as I witnessed in a thread recently. But there are also a lot of arguments which are below the threshold of "banning". So what. You know, some threads also get out of hand because the exact same people complaining about the tone on AZB are posting offensive stuff as well. Not in the sense of insults. They are too smart for that. But they belittle people in a "smart" way. Marek, you are a good example. I have read a few posts of yours where you belittle American pool players in general. While it may be true that American pool has a problem currently there are always two ways to post stuff about this fact - especially if you are known to be a European. You can do it in a very civil manner or you can post in a way that makes people feel knocked down without directly insulting them. A few people will remember you for such postings even if they don't attack you right where it belongs. And they may grab another chance in another thread to attack you - even in a lot more rude way.

What I am saying is: You should always check your own postings before hitting the reply button. And when re-reading them you should ask yourself one question: Would I be offended if I were a reader with a different opinion? If more people made sure they did that there would be a lot less problems. But it does not happen since some people just don't even take the time to check the very basic spelling in their postings, much less how such a posting would be received on the other end.

So, since things are like they are your only chance is to either use the ignore function or just simply don't read stuff you don't like which is what I do. If I don't like the way a thread goes I just quit reading it or at least I quit posting in it.

Easy. And much more effective than joining the rank of fools that look stupid after the "battle".

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't blame AZB for "letting people have 2 accounts". First of all they can't constantly check the IPs of all the posters here. And then there are various ways that you can have sneaky second accounts - VPN and proxy have been mentioned. I am sure that AZB does not approve of people with 2 accounts or more but they just can't check everything. Maybe you want to volunteer to do this?

Back to topic: There are people who are just misbehaving on the internet and this has been the case as long as the internet exists - maybe not so much in it's beginnings as Arpanet and during the times when only a few people had internet access. I remember those days. Nowadays, when every id**t can easily access the net without knowing DOS etc. to set up their computers this obviously became a problem - the history of Usenet shows this clearly.

But - in a forum like this there is some moderation and I don't see that nothing is done about it. AZB moderators have to consider a few things - do they want to appear like the Gestapo or do they want to let things get out of hand. They sure do a decent job of it. It could be better but then again I don't believe you can't make everyone happy. So, there are always some limitations as to what time constraints and the required tolerance of SOME bs allow.

What I do notice in such threads as this one: The people who claim to be so offended as to quit, take a break or whine are not the saints they claim to be.

We have two examples here: ShortBusRuss feels offended by trentfromtoledo and in a thread he mentioned another thread in which trent supposedly was extremely rude. I read that thread out of curiosity. I did not notice anything that I would have taken too seriously. OTOH, ShortBusRuss did make some harsh comments himself.

Marek also complains about offensive people. Yes, there are people using offensive language and they should be banned. It happens, as I witnessed in a thread recently. But there are also a lot of arguments which are below the threshold of "banning". So what. You know, some threads also get out of hand because the exact same people complaining about the tone on AZB are posting offensive stuff as well. Not in the sense of insults. They are too smart for that. But they belittle people in a "smart" way. Marek, you are a good example. I have read a few posts of yours where you belittle American pool players in general. While it may be true that American pool has a problem currently there are always two ways to post stuff about this fact - especially if you are known to be a European. You can do it in a very civil manner or you can post in a way that makes people feel knocked down without directly insulting them. A few people will remember you for such postings even if they don't attack you right where it belongs. And they may grab another chance in another thread to attack you - even in a lot more rude way.

What I am saying is: You should always check your own postings before hitting the reply button. And when re-reading them you should ask yourself one question: Would I be offended if I were a reader with a different opinion? If more people made sure they did that there would be a lot less problems. But it does not happen since some people just don't even take the time to check the very basic spelling in their postings, much less how such a posting would be received on the other end.

So, since things are like they are your only chance is to either use the ignore function or just simply don't read stuff you don't like which is what I do. If I don't like the way a thread goes I just quit reading it or at least I quit posting in it.

Easy. And much more effective than joining the rank of fools that look stupid after the "battle".

Good post and very accurately stated at all point IMO.

I still wish AZB could somehow swing the time to keep the multiple accounts under control.

What do I know? I'm just a wannabe pool player.

Again, good post!!!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think anyone should have two accounts. Not talking about Russ.

I would like to know, seriously, why does anyone "need" two accounts?

AZB is making a huge mistake by letting ANYONE have two accounts.

Actually, it shows just how inexperienced some people can be. I definitely wouldn't want the person/person's that made the decision to let multiple accounts fly have ANYTHING to do with my businesses. NOT IN THE LEAST.....

Rake

More members = more advertising $$ I'd think so that may be why it isnt examined too closely.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SBR -- You've been a solid contributor on here for years but in the past few months you've come across as very angry and confrontational. I hope all is well on the home front and life isn't making you too jaded.

Stick around.