Matlock vs Keith

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Not picking sides on who was better in their prime --- Keith you obviously feel that your prime was from '76 - '82. Unfortunately I along with MANY of the people that post here didn't get to see you play back then. So it would be out of line for me to say that David was better than Keith or Keith was better than David in his prime.

It would be like someone today comparing Jim Brown to Barry Sanders or Walter Payton. Johnny Unitas to Joe Montana, Peyton Manning. Joe Louis to Floyd Mayweather. If you didn't witness them both play, you are going to be wrongfully biased.

We are lucky to have a few tapes of Keith dabbling on the pool table in the late 80s. That is all of the knowledge base that some of us have of seeing Keith play close to his prime years. And yes Keith and David are the same age --- however that does not mean necessarily that his prime was during the same time frame. I honestly don't know when it was - I'll have to ask David the next time I see him. I know that Bobby Baldwin (David's ex father in law) told me that they went on the road once for about a month and he never saw David miss a ball - not in a match, not practicing. Probably a stretch of the truth but sounds like that was when he was in his prime.

I've been watching David play since 1989 and all I can say from that time frame for at least 20 years, I have never witnessed a player that could beat him or never heard of one that tried.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith,
If my numbers are right you are saying that your prime playing days were between the ages of 21 and 27, or pretty close to that.

That's pretty young for a pool player's prime.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keith,
If my numbers are right you are saying that your prime playing days were between the ages of 21 and 27, or pretty close to that.

That's pretty young for a pool player's prime.

If AzB's info is correct, Keith was born 4/9/1957.

That means that his 19th birthday was in 1976 and his 25th birthday was in 1982.

That's a pretty young and brief "prime." But perhaps he wasn't far from prime in a bunch of other years.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's also the old trick of shaving the object balls to make them skid.

I might have missed it but can someone please explain how you can rig a table to break better for one player than the other?

Cheers.

It's called a "Juice Table" and there were a few stationed around the USA at one time. The balls had metal installed in them much like the bar table cue balls that had the magnet...when the button was pushed the magnets in the pockets would draw the balls toward them......and there were other things that could be done as well.

As far as I know there's no more "Juice Tables" in existence. ..... or is there? ;)

There's also the old trick of shaving the object balls to make them skid....this is the best technique I've ever run across.....I used to beat people that tried this on me because it won't hold up to the Touch of Inside (TOI) style of play.....it's virtually "skid proof". :D

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago birddogs used to come around looking for road players. Mentioning the name Keith McCready was good for a round of free drinks. Thanks Keith

clint3612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The set with the big ball on the bar table--- I like David. The set on the bar table with the small ball-- David. Big cue ball on the 4x8--- a toss. One pocket at that time-- Keith. 9 foot 9 ball-- Keith. 9 foot 10 ball-- David. 10 ball on the bar table-- David. Too bad 10 ball wasn't a big thing some years ago because David would perform at a pretty high level. Great banking, shooting, breaking, kicking and safety play, jumping ( without the jump cue). I like Keith's action at that time for only the 1 pocket (because of all the ronnie allen influence) and 9 ball on the big table. However, anytime in the last 15-20 years I like David. Even 1 pocket he got pretty sporty at it. Not to mention a great bank game. I can't think of one american player with as much diamond system knowledge. He's up there with Efren when it comes to that. David is really probably in the top 3-5 all time all around players. He can play 3 cusion, rotation on any table, won the banks at the DCC, plays good one pocket and can play at a pretty high level on a 9 foot with some preparation.

Whatcha think Keith? I gave you some love on a few wagers.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, why didn't he Charlie-car it on out to California and play in the late 70's, early 80's?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
KM, era 76 to 82 gives the 89 version the 7.

Steve, i watched KM grind LR into tapioca on several occasions during that time frame when, as you know, Louie hit em as good as they could be hit, but, it wasn't good enough.

alas, i didn't see DM play in his prime, however, he was HIGHLY touted by very knowledgable peeps, so, who knows...

In any event we're talking about two of the ten best of all time (imo)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keith was wearing a shirt that said "The World's Got the Last 2".

Years ago birddogs used to come around looking for road players. Mentioning the name Keith McCready was good for a round of free drinks. Thanks Keith

The first time I ever saw Keith play with the Big Cue Ball was in Clinton Iowa .... I still remember how he broke the balls and it was amazing! Dallas West ran 9 racks in a row in the semi finals, but Keith looked like he might put more than that together if given the chance to play a long "ahead" set.

All I know was NO ONE would get up and play {Keith} at that time on the "Small Track" (1981/82).....I'm sure grateful to have seen those days in pool, they made everyone involved feel like they were in a movie.....and a few years later they were (T.C.O.M.).

PS: Keith was wearing a shirt that said "The World's Got the Last 2"...... I have a feeling "the world" knew it too. ;)

Buddy Hall and Dallas West played in the finals of that tournament and my future "road partner" Omaha John Shuput gave Tony Coleman the WILD 6 Ball.....there was a TON of HEART at that tournament, it made today's events look like a student union game room.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
I simply expressed the opinion that I think David is an all around better player then Keith. Then and now. I also suggested that we would stake David in a game. No insults were given. That is not a bad thing. Keith mentioned he has no interest in playing. So that is clear. Keith was one of the best, no one is disputing that but in my opinion, David was/is the better player and I was willing to bet on it. No one ever assassinated his character. Not one bit. There are no demigods in the pool world. I was worried about my contributions to this thread. I was worried that I was making enemies but looks like Jam is the one with the new enemies just because they stated different opinions than Jam. Jam has called me names and insulted my character but you notice I didn't do the same. See, I'm not such a bad guy-- I just wanted to stake David!!

I've spent A LOT of time talking to A LOT of old champions, at least 75 of them, and I've always asked them who the 3 best 9 ball players were. The 3 names that I by far heard the most were Lassiter, Buddy, and Keith, a lot for Earl and Efren, Siegel etc.... A pretty high % of them said that the best 9 ball they ever seen played was Keith..... I did the same for best all around player, Keith was in a few of their top 3's, Efren, Varner, Siegel would come up a lot, with a slew of others. But one name I never heard in anyone's top 3 in either category was Dave Matlock.

Reactions: JAM

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And Keith wishes you and your buddy Clint would quit demeaning him as a pool player. If you want to root for the hometeam, fine, but don't do it at the expense of putting down another person. Keith has *never* done that to David Matlock.

Hasn't he?

In this thread he (and you) has said many times that the only way Matlock could beat him was on this "gaffe table" with the mythical break buzzer - implicitly accusing him of cheating while he's at it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hasn't he?

In this thread he (and you) has said many times that the only way Matlock could beat him was on this "gaffe table" with the mythical break buzzer - implicitly accusing him of cheating while he's at it.

Nice play on words.

Keith has given David high praises and respect for his game throughout this thread, even though David's two danglers are crticizing Keith at every turn.

Sad to say, but whenever there's gambing with high stakes, one must be aware of the cheat factor. It happens in poker with card mechanics. It happens in sports with players "fixing" or dumping in games. Well, in pool, believe it or not, there are/were gaffe tables. The amount of money David was shooting for was peanuts compared to the side action on that day in Dallas. You figure it out, SakuTroll.

I realize after reading a few of your previous posts that you're a little green when it comes to pool. When this hapens, I tend to excuse the ignorance.

Go troll another thread, SakuTroll. What interest could this thread possibly have for you, other than I am posting in it?

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice play on words.

Keith has given David high praises and respect for his game throughout this thread, even though David's two danglers are crticizing Keith at every turn.

Such high praise:

I'm not stopping about anything. That table was a gaffe table, and I'm sticking to my guns. One time, he made seven balls on the break. I'm not saying he couldn't win. He did win. But I did play him after that and dusted him off.

And just for your information, this thread is about when smoebody was in their prime. If he wanted to play me in the late '70s, early '80s, why didn't he Charlie-car his ass over to California where he could have probably won 100,000? He didn't.

And it was a gaffe table. Every time I broke the balls for hours and hours and hours, nothing went in. Very seldom I made a ball. Cueball going straight up in the air, squatting perfect, and nothing went in. David did the same thing, three and four balls fly in every game. I proved my point when we went to neutral equipment, and I don't even know if David really remembers that, but that's okay.

The time that I did play David in Texas was in Dallas. I was getting staked by Weldon Rogers and Will Willingham. We didn't pick the location. It was in a guy's house with a buzzer. Every time David broke the balls, 3 and 4 balls would fly in, and every time I broke them, I wouldn't make a ball. There was something funny going on. Come to find out later, Sonny Spring, the guy's house that we played at, told me all about the buzzer. I played him after that, was chomping at the bit to play on neutral equipment, and I finally got my chance and I dusted him off. And then we played one more time after that, and that was at The Maverick Club.

And this is, of course, assuming that is even Keith posting for himself.

The rest of your post is just sniping and name calling (some would even call it trolling), so I won't respond to it.