My take on Galveston.

One thing for sure, everybody has growing pains starting out. Most seasoned professional industry folks do recognize this. Everybody crawls before they walk. Some get a helping hand along the way, and some do from scratch on their own. :grin-square:

I applaud this group, whoever they are, for taking the bull by the horns and moving forward. It sounds to me like, in the words of Frank Sinatra, they did it "My Way." With the kind of dough they are investing, that is totally understandable. :cool:

Yes, maybe some things were changed, but I am so glad they included the actual POOL PLAYER in the meetings to discuss it. After all, the payouts do affect the competitors, so this was a great move. :)

Next year, this group will have come away with some lessons learned for sure. I hope they are not discouraged by all of the negative banter on this forum. Maybe that's why they chose not to participate on this forum. I guess I can understand why. :wink:
 
I offered to get a guy and fly down there with all the gear yesterday. Once I heard what the situation was as far as who is running that side of the house I just forgot about it.

Part of the reason I am a bit skeptical about how this is going is because I know that every issue that has not gone right was brought up months ago to the promoters (some of them by me personally face to face) and was basically told to shut up. No big deal I guess but it is a shame to see all this talent and money without the quality of coverage it deserves. There are a few industry entities that could do it justice and I wish anyone of them had made it. They asked us what it would take to come and we said nothing but expenses. Never heard another word. I think the problem was I didn't sell them a big enough dream like some other people.

I have a real good idea where these guys got some bad information and guidance. The word I get is that they know this now too. If they do another one we will push harder to be a part of it.



Don't sweat it man!!! I am quite certain that by now these guys know they put the wrong production company in business...and who ever cut you guys out I hope they are biting their tongue now they have seen how crappy the feed is.


I can't even watch it it is so bad!!


On a good note...only a couple weeks to Morra/Dominguez...can't wait!!! Best of luck to you guys!!!

Gary
 
Don't sweat it man!!! I am quite certain that by now these guys know they put the wrong production company in business...and who ever cut you guys out I hope they are biting their tongue now they have seen how crappy the feed is.


I can't even watch it it is so bad!!

Hey, Gary, I have not been able to watch any of the festivities myself, as my job has kept me busy with MMA fights. LOL! I finally finished last night. Man, I am so glad to be done.

That said, are these livestreams free, or is there a charge? Also, can you provide a link; that is, if you haven't deleted it yet? :grin-square:
 
On the tournament chart page they have the one pocket first place listed as $15,000. That is $10,000 less than advertised. $10,000 less than they swore up and down about for the last three months. I think streaming and scheduling glitches will be forgiven but chopping 10 dimes out of the first prize (if it is the case) is a bad move and will piss players right off.

I am happy this thing went off. I am even spending $900 to go down there. Partly for business reasons and partly because I want to see any gathering of elite players this size. It is a rare thing and one that should be applauded.

I really hope they don't cut the first prizes or cancel any more divisions. Players and fans will forgive many things but fooling with the money usually leaves a very bad taste in people's mouths.

http://cts.playbca.com/TournamentHome.aspx?TournamentID=178011


I got a text from a player there and was told the one pocket was
1st place $25K
2nd place $6K
then a more drastic drop after that.

Can someone confirm what the true prize is?
 
I got a text from a player there and was told the one pocket was
1st place $25K
2nd place $6K
then a more drastic drop after that.

Can someone confirm what the true prize is?

The way they laid out the prize funds based on 128 in the one pocket here: http://www.theworldclassic.com/payouts is that they add $25,000 for first and then the rest of the places are paid out of the total entries.

For example 2nd place was supposed to be 30% of the entries.

88 entries x $250 = $22,000

$22,000 x .30 = $6600

But according to Jay they cut the first place guarantee and spread it around. Which for all the players making the money but one is a good thing. I can see how the players would much prefer this. End of the day they put a great deal of money up and that is more than most ever do. They are learning and paying out the nose for it so IMO they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

They put themselves in a bad spot with a flawed model from the beginning.
 
I got a text from a player there and was told the one pocket was
1st place $25K
2nd place $6K
then a more drastic drop after that.

Can someone confirm what the true prize is?

I can CONFIRM that isn't it any more. 15K on top and 7.5K for second. A better distribution all the way down to 17th-24th.

P.S. Looks like Joey and I will be doing commentary today at 1 PM. Should be fun.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Jay

for your efforts in counseling the camera operator yesterday. What we could hear on the stream sounded like a gentle mentoring of a non-pool playing cameraman. I think you helped him with concept as opposed to ridicule his prior approach.

We all appreciate your efforts. I had run out of dramamine.

Looking forward to you and Joey A commentating today.

Thanks again

3railkick

ps: It was refreshing to hear about your interest in checking out how Galveston island is recovering from hurricane damage. It reminds us that although we love and live pool-there are larger issues to occaisionly recognize
 
left it almost too late

The promoters left things almost too late and certainly hurt participation by being hard headed, their prerogative when they are putting up the money, but it does seem like they left final decisions up to a vote by the participants. Can't be much fairer than that although I have to admit I would be a little annoyed to find first place cut if I had a real hope of getting there.

I do find it telling that Efren and Allison were the two voting against purse cuts for first place. Only one winner and first loser on down for those two, neither came for second place!

Hu
 
Maybe Rone and crew hadn't done a pool tourney before? Seems there were pretty firm and closed off from outside influence until... But now that the tourney has started, it seems they are making needed decisions on the fly, and with input and consensus from many. Sounds like management worthy of continued support. It's the management that knows it all and never bends that's destined for failure.

Good Luck Taylor Road Productions on completing this huge tourney with style, integrity and success! :thumbup:
 
Maybe Rone and crew hadn't done a pool tourney before? Seems there were pretty firm and closed off from outside influence until...

I think it may have something to do with how they were approached. Sometimes advice and/or assistance can be offered in a respectful manner, and then there are times when advice and/or assistance is offered in a disrespectful manner.

Some seasoned industry folk that do have good business sense know how to use it, and then there are others whose intentions, though good, may come across as uninformed and/or cantankerous. :o

Since it's their cheese, they have every right to go in the direction they deem fit. I like the fact they chose "Galveston, oh, Galveston." Like Jay Helfert said, this must be a welcome benefit to the community since they are still in recovery mode.

I am hoping they will contine to move forward, full speed ahead. Next year, if they do follow through, this could very well be THE pool event of the year! :)
 
Let me tell you about the prize money. First of all, if they had left the 25K on top, there would have been all kinds of dealmaking by the players. That's the reality. By spreading the money out, there will be considerably less need for that. What happened was they put it to a vote of the remaining players and all but Efren voted for the revised prize fund. So it was an equitable decision, ultimately made by the players.

MORE GOOD NEWS! The $25,000 Guaranteed for first place became ADDED MONEY! Yes, you heard me right. They added 25K to all the players entry fees to come up with the final purse. Pretty cool IMO. You will see the final payouts aren't bad. They did the same thing with the Women's prize money. Only Allison (and one other girl) voted against it. So in essence, all the guaranteed monies have become added money. The Ten Ball with 50k Added should be a huge event. If all the players had known this ahead of time, they would have had an even bigger field.

Joey turned out to be fairly prophetic about this event. As it turns out, they will be ADDING over $100,000 to the final payouts in all events. That's huge! I like this bunch of guys promoting the event. They are going out of their way to accommodate the pool players. Just last night Rodney was stuck at the airport, having missed the shuttle. Clark Rone got on the horn and sent another van back just to pick him up.

These guys will lose money on this event. No question about it. Whether or not they continue remains to be seen. They say they are in it for the long run. I told Clark last night, that the second year would be twice as big (if they have it again). And it might double again in year three. The weather ain't bad. It's centrally located. Many reasonably priced hotels in the area. Cheap car rentals. And it's an open date on the pool calendar.

One thing I see as a given. The American players will overwhelmingly support this event. There's also a zillion filipino players here. Efren beat Earl last night in the 5K challenge match. Looks like Gomez and Archer may hook it up too.

P.S. They are running a Hold 'Em game in the back room all day every day. I snuck in last night for a cool six dollars. Sweet! Oh and for those who are interested, Jhendy on here did play that match against Billy Incardona and Artie B. Five ahead for 5K (total 10K). Artie and Billy won. I had a small side bet on them, laying 6-5. Tonight John (Hendy) will play Artie even for another 3K. This one is close imo.

Oh, one more thing. The world's self proclaimed "best" One Pocket player, Scott Frost, finished out of the money. And some guy named Reyes will play Shannon for the hot seat today. What a surprise!

Mr. Helfert, Thanks for the "good news" update. I like the "man on the scene" report. Cool!. I especially like the "Frost "comment. Funny!
 
I think it may have something to do with how they were approached. Sometimes advice and/or assistance can be offered in a respectful manner, and then there are times when advice and/or assistance is offered in a disrespectful manner.

Some seasoned industry folk that do have good business sense know how to use it, and then there are others whose intentions, though good, may come across as uninformed and/or cantankerous. :o

Since it's their cheese, they have every right to go in the direction they deem fit. I like the fact they chose "Galveston, oh, Galveston." Like Jay Helfert said, this must be a welcome benefit to the community since they are still in recovery mode.

I am hoping they will contine to move forward, full speed ahead. Next year, if they do follow through, this could very well be THE pool event of the year! :)


so are saying that Justin offered help/assistance in a disrespectful manner? :confused:
 
so are saying that Justin offered help/assistance in a disrespectful manner? :confused:

Man, that sure came out of left field.

These tournament promoters were approached by quite a few pool people, well in advance before this event took place.

For whatever reason, they decided to do it their way.

I gave an opinion as to why.
 
Man, that sure came out of left field.

These tournament promoters were approached by quite a few pool people, well in advance before this event took place.

For whatever reason, they decided to do it their way.

I gave an opinion as to why.

fair enough. Just a question since Justin was the only pool entity weighing in with the fact that he offered help or assistance.
 
fair enough. Just a question since Justin was the only pool entity weighing in with the fact that he offered help or assistance.

Maybe if you started reading pool-related threads, you would realize that there were other pool-related persons and pool-related industry entities who offered help and/or assistance.

This forum can be pool related sometimes and a good vehicle to talk about pool.
 
Jam & corvette

It's a shame that such knowledgable and good contributors as yourselves seek to flame, taunt and whine at each other on every thread. I would suggest that the moderators set a sticky so that you two could ***** slap each other non stop and the rest of us could drop in after reruns of Jerry Springer to get a fix. It's not why we log on....:boring2:
 
Back
Top