TAR 22: Earl Strickland vs Shane Van Boening. December 2,3,4 in the TAR Studio

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I'm Greek. We invented the Trojan horse. Pull it into the courtyard and go to sleep. All will be fine in the morning.

Nick
Trojan-Horse.gif

I am so screwed. First Justin and now you. My head is slowly imploding. This must be your nefarious plan...... :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl and SVB one pocket would be really short even if they have a really long race. They both got real strong 8 and out moves.

I think that is what they should play anyway...1p.

reasonable conclusion re rotation games is that SVB it better at this point.

)Did Earl win on a 10'er? Was his cue a foot longer?
Ya think that makes a difference?!?!!?!)

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Awesome. Thanks to TAR & CSI. When will other sponsors catch on?

Now . . . what's the line?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
All I know, is that I waited 4 1/2 years to bet all my vcash on a sure bet, so I bet all 500 on Shane to beat Alex, now I've got 2,000 in vcash. Can anyone tell me how much I'll have after I bet it all on a sure bet for Shane to beat Earl into the nut house playing on the TAR table?;)

Glen

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I feel that if an arrangement is made for multiple sets, nobody gets paid until all sets are played or BOTH sides agree to terminate the arrangement.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I feel that if an arrangement is made for multiple sets, nobody gets paid until all sets are played or BOTH sides agree to terminate the arrangement.

Hmmm, well...in all other sports, if the opposing player or team can't, or won't continue on with the competition, they forfit the win to the other player or team. So, if a player decides to quit early...that's called a loss in my book;)...and the winner gets all the cash:D

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm, well...in all other sports, if the opposing player or team can't, or won't continue on with the competition, they forfit the win to the other player or team. So, if a player decides to quit early...that's called a loss in my book;)...and the winner gets all the cash:D

This why they have this thing called POST.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's very tempting to pick Shane in this match. Especially after his recent wins. However...... my gut keeps saying - NEVER count Earl out! This one is a real tough one to pick!

Never listen to your gut, that's just its way of telling you its hungry. Get something to eat, then bet it all on Shane:thumbup:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Great job of setting this one up Justin. If you ever want or need some Diamond 9ft ProAm rails with tighter pockets than Fatboy's, just so you know, Artie Bodenorfer's 9ft ProAm has 4" corner pockets on his, with a little bit different miter angles than what I did Fatboy's with. I'm hoping to be in Vegas for this one, at least that's my plans right now, seeings how you got some set dates for me to be there that I can count on. Once again, great job...this match up should be the mortal nuts between Shane and Earl:grin:

Glen

Thanks Glen. We are probably going to need a set of these rails for ourselves at some point. Next time you make it to Vegas I'll get with you and figure out how we can get it done. I think the pockets are perfect as is. Any tighter might be pushing it for rotation games.

If you make it in for the match I'll see you in the studio.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to get it out of the way:

Yes the match is for $5k and not $10K each. It was what was possible and we wanted to do a match before the Mosconi Cup. Since no one is exactly jumping up to play $10K sets lately we figured it better to have these two go at it for a little less than to not do anything. Pretty sure the money won't be an issue with either one of these guys.

Yes this match has Shane in it again. Once again it is because he will play just about anyone and be flexible on the rules. I would love to have some different players in our matches and will do all I can to make it happen. Lately it seems not a lot of people are willing or able to make a game that both sides will agree to. Shane is pretty easy to work with, will play about anyone and never has money problems. So you are probably gonna see a lot of him from us.

Yes this is 9 Ball. I pushed for that because Shane beat Earl playing 10 ball on a nine footer, Earl beat Shane playing 10 Ball on a ten footer so why not do something different for the third one. Earl is arguably the best 9 ball player in history and almost definitely the best American 9 ball player. I thought it would be cool for these two to go at it old school and they agreed. Also the race to 75 means going to 25 each night which means no more 8 to 9 hour days. Each day should go pretty quick which everyone seems to want.

I know this match is going to piss off as many people as it will please so just let it begin. :D

I think its a safe bet that the $$$ will be more than a dime in the middle by game day. I'll be there for sure. It will be interesting to see how this plays out-Earl had the best of it on HIS box, now Earl is on Shanes box, thats cool Earl didnt duck him. Perhaps the tighter pockets made the game. what ever the case if Shane wins on this box the question is will they play a tie breaker on a 3rd table???

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I think this will be a fantastic matchup. The way Earl was firing in balls on a tight 10 ft'er after watching Shane get all frustrated as hell, jawing everything up and the fact he beat him over all 3 days, has to give Earl some good confidence.

I think the 75 game race is a nice adjustment. Going to 30 each night is tough for everyone except the die hard fans. Including the players. Now we should get treated to them being at the top of their game the whole way. it will eliminate the little block of time where the players have been playing a long time and they haven't' reached the "end is in sight" part of the night.

Shane is my main man so there will be no secret on who I think and want to win, but Earl is a offensive powerhouse too. He looked to have no problems playing a long set last time, he's a incredible straight shooter and a guy that can string together 5 racks in 15 mins.

I look for this one to be a close one with one caveat of course. That Earl keeps it together:smile:

Being in the TAR studio, it's not going to be too hard to find the person that is bothering him, if that crops up. I've seen Earl in the bar situation (the 10 ft matchup) with some hostile people in the crowd and he acted like a ass. I've seen him live in person in Lincoln, where the setting was very close.. small room with people very close to him and he acted just fine, but there was a very respectful crowd there, no schmucks.

So with the TAR studio, he won't have to worry about schmucks in the crowd, it will be a intimate surrounding but a pleasant one I would imagine.

I think they definitely need to work out the deal with Earl bum rushing Shane when he's trying to break though. That crap has to be shot down before they even start. That and the racking issues.

I think if Earl thinks Shane is cheating by putting the ball over the line, then he should seek Justin out and mention it to him. Do it behind the scenes though, so Shane doesn't know that it's being discussed. Then Justin can innocently position himself in order to determine if that is the case. If Shane doesn't appear to be cheating, then Earl needs to deal with the decision, if Shane is moving it slightly ahead of the line, then he needs to be admonished and told if it happens again, he will get a 15 game penalty.

Hopefully he does it again, then we get treated to a hill hill match:D

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am totally happy with a race to 75.

It's plenty long enough to know who's better. Hey, if it's a close race, maybe we can have the fourth match. :smile:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Race to 75 playing to 25, 50, and first to 75 0n the third day seems perfect for everybody. Us old folks need are sleep. Johnnyt

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Race to 75 playing to 25, 50, and first to 75 0n the third day seems perfect for everybody. Us old folks need are sleep. Johnnyt

Johnny, the puzzling question is...are you awake long enough to even GET tired during the day:grin:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got no dog in the fight and know you probably do not need a suggestion from the cheap seats but here goes. These are going to be shorter days going to 25, 50 and 75 but what if a player reaches that number and is on fire mid package such as they ran 5 racks to get to 25 so it is now 25 Earl and 22 Shane it would be great if a player mid package (2+) could continue till they did not run out finish that game and call it a night. This coul dbe a big plus for either player as Shane showed last match a great run can turn the tide and we know both are capable of putting together some magic at any given time.

So my suggestion is allow the shooter who gets to the daily target number 25 or 50 and who has ran 2 plus games to get to that target to continue their package till they do not get out session is over after that game is completed. This extra innings could make for some excitement.

Just an idea what do you think?

Would the player like that option?

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
I like the 9-ball format, and it's going to be a very exciting, close match.

Props to Shane (and his backer, if any), and props to Earl (and his backer, if any), Justin, Chad, Mark as well as everyone involved.