TAR Podcast #8 - Shane - Fransisco - Shane Talks About His Aiming Method

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Mrs. Big Tony walks in.

See's Big Tony playing pool on the dining room table with two cue balls and the contents of her linen closet.

Shakes head.

Walks out.

JCIN, its better than what she normally walks in and catches me doing... at least I got my pants on. :)

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Mrs. Big Tony walks in.

See's Big Tony playing pool on the dining room table with two cue balls and the contents of her linen closet.

Shakes head.

Walks out.

LOL - like she hasn't caught him doing even weirder stuff than that!

If your wife hasn't questioned her choice in spouse, you just haven't been married long enough yet. :p

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
JCIN, its better than what she normally walks in and catches me doing... at least I got my pants on. :)

or when you used to practice clapping push-ups all the time....her: "what are you doing?" you: "gonna trap Mika!!" lol

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its interesting that Shane talks about 3 aim lines basically, left side of shaft, center of shaft, right side of shaft. Sounds very familiar.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Its interesting that Shane talks about 3 aim lines basically, left side of shaft, center of shaft, right side of shaft. Sounds very familiar.

Yeah, and after he described what he does, he missed the shot badly.

Next TAR challenge - Race to 100. Shane versus Shortstop. But Shane must describe how and where he is aiming before shooting every ball :grin:

I've often been surprised when I tried to demonstrate something to a beginner and talked during the shot how it also tended to corrupt my result. Probably a heckuva lot of little tweaks happening automaticaly when we are in stroke.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
The technique that Shane explained is so different from how I aim that it makes my head hurt. It also could explain a few things . . . :eek:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
The technique that Shane explained is so different from how I aim that it makes my head hurt. It also could explain a few things . . . :eek:

The best thing about a system like this is you can aim how you always do, then take a look to see if the edge or center of your cue is lined up with any of the edges. If anything, a good way to double check your own aim.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, and after he described what he does, he missed the shot badly.

Next TAR challenge - Race to 100. Shane versus Shortstop. But Shane must describe how and where he is aiming before shooting every ball :grin:

I've often been surprised when I tried to demonstrate something to a beginner and talked during the shot how it also tended to corrupt my result. Probably a heckuva lot of little tweaks happening automaticaly when we are in stroke.
You volunteering to be that shortstop, I'll empty out on Shane regardless of who the shortstop is.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol............

You're the bumper pool champ who once wrote he had "a man crush on Efren," right?

So here's something from a few years ago at the US 1Pocket Open for you and all the other keyboard warrior pool players that don't have the cojones to step into the box with the champions but like to take anonymous shots at those of us who do.

That would be me on the left ;-)

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• Efren-Lou.jpg
    Efren-Lou.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 844

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're the bumper pool champ who once wrote he had "a man crush on Efren," right?

So here's something from a few years ago at the US 1Pocket Open for you and all the other keyboard warrior pool players that don't have the cojones to step into the box with the champions but like to take anonymous shots at those of us who do.

Lou Figueroa

And your point would be, that you paid your entry fee and drew efren in the first round. That sucks, but has nothing to do with this thread.
Dave Stem

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Just tried it a little and it works great. Im not sure how you figure out nearly straight in shots or thin cut shots. Both of which didn't seem to line up with an edge. But for most cut shots, this seems to work real well.

Cleary, straight in shots are the simplest, center of the shaft, through the center of the ball, I do not use a method for this one, is all about stroking straight through. I usually do a drill setting up balls from side pocket to side pocket and take cue ball in the kitchen setting up long straight in shots, you get ball in hand in the kitchen after every shot, after 7 or 8 balls you switch pockets. Not an easy drill to do on tight pockets, if you miss you set them up again. Switching pockets can sometimes get you but it will have you stroking straight and staying down on the ball. As for the thin cuts, its the very edge of the shaft to the edge of the ball, you will get the feel of it I believe.

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cleary, straight in shots are the simplest, center of the shaft, through the center of the ball, I do not use a method for this one, is all about stroking straight through. I usually do a drill setting up balls from side pocket to side pocket and take cue ball in the kitchen setting up long straight in shots, you get ball in hand in the kitchen after every shot, after 7 or 8 balls you switch pockets. Not an easy drill to do on tight pockets, if you miss you set them up again. Switching pockets can sometimes get you but it will have you stroking straight and staying down on the ball. As for the thin cuts, its the very edge of the shaft to the edge of the ball, you will get the feel of it I believe.

Are you saying the system makes straight in shots simple or that it is a simple shot , because I have the hardest time with straight ins. My knees buckle when I walk up to them.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

I mean *nearly* straight in. Where a stop shot will miss but its a very thick cut. I mean, I know how I aim it, just wondering if this system has something for it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever he is doing it works great for him but I'm past the point where I want to start over with a new system.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Whatever he is doing it works great for him but I'm past the point where I want to start over with a new system.

If you're content with how you play, then there is no reason to start over. Aiming line shane doesn't mean you will PLAY like shane.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure that he aims the center of the CB to the center of the OB for a straight in shot, and that he aims the center of the CB to the edge about the equater of the OB for the ~30 degree cut.

Using the side of the cue shaft to aim for cuts greater than ~30 degrees will yield for him a predictable cut angle depending on the taper that he has on his shaft...If one uses this system then one needs to try it to see what angle the side of the shaft to the edge of the OB yields...perhaps ~45 degrees.

I can see that if the cut is just a bit greater than 30 degrees, then one can use a line just to the side of the center of the shaft but not all the way to the side of the shaft...fractional shaft aiming? The fact that the edge of the OB is used and is very observable is a plus...rather than a vague GB center.

If the cut is very thin say ~75 degrees, then the side of the shaft must be aimed a small distance outward from the edge of the OB.

I don't know if the separation between the CB and OB needs to be compensated for though....probably.

His system is more parsimonious with precise point of aim on the fractions of the shaft and the edge of the OB than CTE...to me.

Just sayin.:wink:

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure that he aims the center of the CB to the center of the OB for a straight in shot, and that he aims the center of the CB to the edge about the equater of the OB for the ~30 degree cut.

Using the side of the cue shaft to aim for cuts greater than ~30 degrees will yield for him a predictable cut angle depending on the taper that he has on his shaft...If one uses this system then one needs to try it to see what angle the side of the shaft to the edge of the OB yields...perhaps ~45 degrees.

I can see that if the cut is just a bit greater than 30 degrees, then one can use a line just to the side of the center of the shaft but not all the way to the side of the shaft...fractional shaft aiming? The fact that the edge of the OB is used and is very observable is a plus...rather than a vague GB center.

If the cut is very thin say ~75 degrees, then the side of the shaft must be aimed a small distance outward from the edge of the OB.

I don't know if the separation between the CB and OB needs to be compensated for though....probably.

His system is more parsimonious with precise point of aim on the fractions of the shaft and the edge of the OB than CTE...to me.

Just sayin.:wink:

I think you're right -- it makes much more sense.

Lou Figueroa
and who's going to argue
with his results :)

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I mean *nearly* straight in. Where a stop shot will miss but its a very thick cut. I mean, I know how I aim it, just wondering if this system has something for it.
On cut shots like this it can be left side of the shaft to the left edge of the ball if your cutting it to the right, then you can use sections of the shaft, like 1/4 shaft and so on, your main references are center, left and ride side of the shaft to the edge. As you do more shots you will find the ones you need to use 1/4 shaft and so on. If we were in the same pool room Cleary I could show you better than tell you, you could set up the shot and I could tell you exactly easier. Certain shots will fall in between left side and center so to speak and that is where you use sections of the shaft.

Your right that it will not make you play like Shane, no method can substitute table time and talent but it has helped me and does work for me. I think it will work for those who give it time to understand it and practice it, some are close minded or set in their ways, many guys play the same way they did 30 years ago and will never improve because of this or they just do not have a natural ability for the game or are motivated to learn.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
Look at me! Look at me!! I'm playing Effy!! I'm playing in a $75 tournament, race to 3, playing Effy!!! I got lucky and drew EffY!!!!! Can you believe it!!!!?!?!!? LOOK HOW BIG MY HEART IS!!!!!! HOLY SH!T-FCK!!!!! My heart is the size of the Empire State Building cause I got Effy on a random draw!!!!!!

davedccshooting1.jpg

Me and Tony Crosby

davestalev.jpg

Me and Evgeny Stalev

WOW! I played two champions in one year too! That must mean my heart is the size of Jupiter!!! My nuts are so big I can't walk!! I need a Hover-round or a Segway to tote my mega nuts around because I drew two champions in a $75 open event.

I'm coooooool.... just like Lou Figawhatever. ;-)