Tony Vs Dennis Chit Chat Thread

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Saw a control change in the last two racks. Dennis was more solid but it was too late for today. Tony needs to keep the pressure on Dennis and if he doesn't play his game it could be the difference and Dennis could top him.

Ill take Tony to win as long as he doesn't get reckless but when it comes to T-REX reckless is part or his game.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right ... Dennis has been at the table and still is after the end of the last game ... I have never seen Dennis play this sloppy ... could just be one of those days ... could be the different shaft ... could be he has something in his mind from his personal life ... who knows.

All I know for sure is I can't wait to see tomorrows action .. :winknudge:

Iv had the pleasure to meet him and watch him plenty here in action he is a grinder hates to lose he will be a different player tomorrow I'm pretty sure of that

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ditto

Saw a control change in the last two racks. Dennis was more solid but it was too late for today. Tony needs to keep the pressure on Dennis and if he doesn't play his game it could be the difference and Dennis could top him.

Ill take Tony to win as long as he doesn't get reckless but when it comes to T-REX reckless is part or his game.

I haven't seen Tony play much 1P before, but yeah, I thought he played a lot of risky shots; I guess reckless is a good word for it too. I'm thinking of the times he was shooting into the rack to break up the balls, but missed his shot.
Keep doing that, and chances are, Dennis can run out the rack. Other times,
Tony seems to be moving the cue ball real good, but every once in a while, wham! Like most, I expect Dennis will not be playing this poorly in the coming days. Anybody can have an off day. I'm rootin' for Tony, though.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new cue jarred Dennis.
At one pocket, you're always working whitey....
...so you must be really familiar with how a cue spins.

Yep. Stepping UP to a Meucci, after playing with a SW, requires a bit of an adjustment. :)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yep. Stepping UP to a Meucci, after playing with a SW, requires a bit of an adjustment. :)

He had a Tiger before. Dennis actually stopped using the SW during the last match Frost after the first day or in the middle of the first day.

The Tiger's Saber-T ferrule is a lot harder than the Meucci ferrule. That's what makes the two shafts play so different .
I believe Dennis had his shafts' taper duplicated at the Meucci place.
But, those ferrules are still way different.

Not making an excuse for Dennis. Just stating what I know.
Dennis did seem way too aggressive today from the little I saw b/c I was working.
He went for a long pot attempt with the cueball near the end rail and his ball still about a foot a half from his pocket while there were two ducks near Tony's pocket. They had 5 balls a piece and Dennis was down 3-0. He missed and sold out . You could see it coming .
He needs to be more defensive in the next set imo.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tony Chohan played power one pocket at it's finest today. It was like he was channeling Scott Frost at his best and Efren too. At the end of Day 1 Dennis knows now that he's not stealing. The line on this race to 40 event appeared to be 7 games. If Dennis ends up down 20 games to 10 games (or in a single digit) at the end of Day 2, he's going to be up against it. Of course Tony has to continue his intense and tremendously creative style and not get too reckless. Dennis might also slow the tempo down a lot as he did with Scott. Tony has to be able to cope with that. Hat's off to POV POOL for the live stream AND the replay. Very entertaining.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying they are World Champions because they DON'T use a Meucci cue?

:)

I don't see a lot of the Asian World Champions using LD shafts. Must be a reason for that, too.

Some say old Meucci cues are better than the new ones. :smile:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robo isn't behind because of his cue. He's been playing near perfect pool the last week or so with it. Something tells me this match will get really close at some point. Hats off to T-rex, he came out of the gate smokin. POV is awesome, btw. Thanks DB and GT.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the cue has absolutely anything to do with it. Dennis was playing with it for a few weeks/months?, and he won the past few events with it. Helfert even came on to say Dennis loves it, and its better than the Tiger;)

And where is this SW talk coming from anyway? Wasn't Dennis playing Tiger cues for the past 5 years???

Dennis was simply outplayed. He missed a few balls, committed several cardinal sin shots of going for high risk/low reward onepocket 101 shots, and played shots that slowly eroded his table position several innings later. That one bank in the last couple of games was super suspect. The straight back he shot hard and jawed in his hole. There was no reward if it went, and there were several balls in front of Tony's hole. Dennis was playing brain dead.

Tony played super offensive and defensive shots, didn't make hardly any blatant errors, and got a few rolls on top of that.

Was definitely not the cue! Were you all watching the same match???

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
All I know is I took Tony and 8 games on the wire. Got that action from two people so I'm feeling good right now.

But I expect it to get a lot closer. Dennis is amazing and will come on strong. The question is, can Tony stop the run?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally, the players will change pockets each game. They will both break to the same hole.

Might even be a 'rule' that mandates such.

This is not so.

Players choose their pocket based on their personal preference and/or how the table is playing.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I saw TC was playing far more aggressively and things that didn't have to work out for him did. Sometimes that happens and it's brutal because it puts the other guy in a constant state of defensive play, always digging out balls and trying to escape.

Having said that, what I also saw was that TC's CB was superior to DO's. He looked totally comfortable playing difficult position and when he got loose he was gone. DO didn't look so comfortable and those balls he missed had to undermine his confidence. And at this level you totally have to feel like you can make what you gotta make.

There's still time for DO to turn things around and if a few of TC's shots go ka-blewy, it could be a different day.

Lou Figueroa

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
All I know is I took Tony and 8 games on the wire. Got that action from two people so I'm feeling good right now.

But I expect it to get a lot closer. Dennis is amazing and will come on strong. The question is, can Tony stop the run?

Tony and 8 games is good I think. People must be thinking about how he tore through Scott and are assuming that since Scott plays better 1p then Tony then Dennis should have an easier time with Tony.

I guess you have to take that shit into account when figuring odds and weight, but in a lot of cases just because A plays better then B and C can beat A, it's not a given that C can beat B.

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony played great

Well I think all of us are somewhat surprised that Dennis felt the heat that Tony put on him, think Dennis will catch up some today and at least make it interesting. Some really great,pool by Tony......

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even in the case of " Robocop " pressure can cause a breakdown in performance. This is what I saw yesterday.

Dennis's hands went cold.

Dennis is human and T Cho had a great day at the table. Watching a lot of creative one pocket was a treat.

Today it may be another story. Dennis is a closer and Tony will have to play at a high level to counter this fact.

Just for the record iirc Cliff Joyner at the height of his one pocket ranking played with a Meucci.

Thanks to Daniel and Povpool for bringing us this fantastic match.