Unknown "monster" players

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Smokey Bartlett was the man!

I got to play Mike Bandy at one of the Huebler bar box events back in the 80's - super nice guy and an awesome player!

Cheyenne Pete Trujillo - great guy - awesome player.

Does anybody remember Jerry Prado? He was another great player from that era that played extremely well.

I'm glad someone mentioned Cheyenne Pete. I had the pleasure of spending lots of time at Plush cue watching him play some road players
back in the late 80's.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
dirtybobjr said:
Bobby used to be around Bartlesville and Tulsa, Oklahoma. Loved the action. Don't know where he's at now. Played all games well.

Is this the same Bobby Baldwin that won the World Series Of Poker in the late 70's and became President of the Mirage Hotel in Vegas. Has worked for Steve Wynn for many years now. I know he was from Oklahoma and loved to play pool. He had a memorable game with Archie The Greek, maybe the biggest pool game moneywise ever. 20K-40K a game 9-Ball on a bar table.

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
huckster said:
The first time I seen Jack Hynes play before I knew who he was he was giving Dan Tator the 7ball and stringing rack after rack togather and talking smack the whole time. Jack was liable to put package after package togather, and he played with so much action on the cueball that if he missed the balls might be hidden he shot so freaking hard everything 100 mph dead center pocket, with the cueball travelling 3-4 rails,
Wow, I've heard of Jack but never really knew anything about him, his speed or any stories about him. If he was giving Danny the 7 and killing him, i'm scared already. I play with Danny fairly regularly and he still plays pretty damn good when he gets into it. The thing that still amazes me about Danny is how well he kicks. Although his game might have gone down some, he still kicks at balls about as well as anyone i've seen. The great thing about Danny is he will play you all night for races to 7 for a beer. He has really taught me alot and is a great guy.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Steppo said:
I'm glad someone mentioned Cheyenne Pete. I had the pleasure of spending lots of time at Plush cue watching him play some road players
back in the late 80's.

Back in the day, Pete was a great player and people would go out of their way to avoid Cheyenne because of it. He was always a gentleman when I watched him play - one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
There is a good story of him losing to Kid Delicious...I think it was 40 games in a row at $50 a game. I remember reading that and thinking...wow this Cheyenne Pete had some heart.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about Bud Hypes-aroung Gilbert W. Va.?Don Sopher maybe Wyoming?Neither spelling may be correct!Both players if alive are near a 100

Last edited:

avmaster

Man of Reason
Gold Member
Silver Member
uwate said:
There is a good story of him losing to Kid Delicious...I think it was 40 games in a row at $50 a game. I remember reading that and thinking...wow this Cheyenne Pete had some heart.

I'm from Cheyenne, never met Pete. remember a guy called Cheater from Tidewater area in virginia, hot shot bar box 3 ball player. Also a hard nut guy Carolina Red maybe?

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
renard said:
To answer your question directly...yes.

By the way, I spoke with certain people about Mike Brown owing you a little cash. They said it was not uncommon for him to try and duck. Sorry it happened to you.

Joe Brown his brother? If so,they both didn't fall far from the tree.

TannerPruess

PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
alphadog said:
What about Bud Hypes-aroung Gilbert W. Va.?Don Sopher maybe Wyoming?Neither spelling may be correct!Both players if alive are near a 100
I remember seeing a Don Soper play a few years back who had to be in his late 80's. Heck of a player still.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
renard said:
Kid from Ohio finished tied for fourth as well...Ryan Stone. He also finished 10th in banks at the Derby City!!!
That kid is a straight shooter. Ruby still tutoring him?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TannerPruess said:
I remember seeing a Don Soper play a few years back who had to be in his late 80's. Heck of a player still.
I played Sopher in about 1980 think he was 70 something then.Played in SilverDollar Mobridge,S.Dak.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
uwate said:

Maybe 3-4 years ago Kid D, Chris Bartrum and a friend were running around Colorado & Wyoming together. At that time I know one of the 3 (either Kid D. or Chris) beat Pete many games at $50/game so maybe that was the time. You're right, Pete does have heart - he hardly plays anymore and he still gave those boys action. Pete hasn't played much in the last 7 years I've been in CO. Too bad. One of the nicest guys you would ever meet. I would play someone of his character all the time because he doesn't complain, he doesn't shark - he just plays.

Whoever said they live in Cheyenne and never met Pete, shame on you. Go to the Plush Cue on Pioneer St downtown and say hello to Pete and his wife, Frances. They are awesome people, you will definately feel welcome. Tell them Dave Gross says hello.

Dave

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what his real name is but I just knew him as Gabby. He was probably the best black player I ever saw. He could stand up to anyone. Does anyone remember him? What's his name? Where is he now?

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dabarbr said:
I don't know what his real name is but I just knew him as Gabby. He was probably the best black player I ever saw. He could stand up to anyone. Does anyone remember him? What's his name? Where is he now?

I remember his first name was Larry, and I know he was from Houston. There was some information about him on a post here some time back. I also heard he was not with us anymore. I met him here in the late 70's and had the misfortune of trying him some 9 ball at Five Points Bowl. He always shot with an open bridge. John

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
dabarbr said:

His real name was Larry Hill. He was killed in prison. I read this hear a while back.

avmaster

Man of Reason
Gold Member
Silver Member
12squared said:
Maybe 3-4 years ago Kid D, Chris Bartrum and a friend were running around Colorado & Wyoming together. At that time I know one of the 3 (either Kid D. or Chris) beat Pete many games at $50/game so maybe that was the time. You're right, Pete does have heart - he hardly plays anymore and he still gave those boys action. Pete hasn't played much in the last 7 years I've been in CO. Too bad. One of the nicest guys you would ever meet. I would play someone of his character all the time because he doesn't complain, he doesn't shark - he just plays.

Whoever said they live in Cheyenne and never met Pete, shame on you. Go to the Plush Cue on Pioneer St downtown and say hello to Pete and his wife, Frances. They are awesome people, you will definately feel welcome. Tell them Dave Gross says hello.

Dave

I will should I ever get back there. Born and raised there but lefrt home 1962, haven't been back................:eek:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> As many pages as there is in this thread and not a single mention of "Chicken" George Kieselat,from up in the Akron/Cleveland area? He is probably capable of beating just about anyone a set here and there,and plays CHEAP too.

He might be known to some,but hardly someone you hear about constantly,is Chris Szuter from Canton,Oh. He owns a room called Fiddlestix,and was barred out of virtually every local-ish tournament up that way,along with George. It got to the point,as I've mentioned here before,that local rooms/bars made it a point to print on their flyers "Chicken George and Chris Szuter CAN NOT PLAY!". Tommy D.

mark smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Horne is the best to ever grace the doors of my pool room in Russellville Arkansas (to my knowledge). Pete used to drive for Tyson, and Russellville being the heart of chicken distribution and processing, gave Pete many hours and days of waiting for loads at the pool room. I have watched him run many racks of 9-ball while fully engrossed in conversation and seeming to put zero effort or concentration into pocketing balls or playing position. He told me many stories from his actual playing days, showed me things that I did not about the game, and most of all just spending time with him and watching him interact with my younger players was a joy. He had a way of stepping thru the front door with a huge smile on his face, and then glancing around to see who all was there to witness his entry, really funny but I guess you had to be there to get the full effect. I sure wish he still drove for Tyson. Pete if you read this hope to you again sometime. Mark

Cashrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
beav99_4life said:
LOL, its funny seeing Kenny McCoys name on here. I say that because i've known Kenny for about 8 years or so now. I started going into his home room sometime ago when i was around 20 or so. I didnt know Kenny even played pool for about 2 years, lol, he NEVER picks up a cue and shoots. The only time Kenny shoots is when someone comes into looking for action, and even then he still shoots pretty damn good. In the 8 years i've known Kenny, i think i've seen him actually shoot 4 times. Another name to add to that list is Danny Tator. Danny was definately one of the best players in the country back in the 80's. I remember hearing a story of Danny having Mike Massey down 7-1 in a race to 9 and Massey looking at him and saying "Who the fu*k are you?!".

Finally someone my favorite roadplayer.. wel maybe its him, his name was/is
Danny, they called him HIGHHEELS, never would play the tournament but would take down the winner. l personally was with him in a Muscatine Iowa
$20,000. 'Bar Rag Shoot-Out' where Mike Massey won the tournament,l asked Danny why he didn't play tournament he said he didn't want the noteriety,(even tho he dress like Huggy bear,red leather outfit matching hat and shoes,yes highheel boots,a$3000 piaget whitegold watch ringed in diamonds and two $25000 quarter sized gold with diamond rings.one white one yellow on each hand,very understated) anyway after the tournament
was over and Mike was posing with the check for the cameras Danny came down from the bleachers, when Mike saw him hesaid 'whats up highheels?'
Danny replied 'you know whats up' Mike said l don't gamble anymore ,l'm a christian now, hands went up all over place to stake Mike, longstoryshort Danny Busted em all..after all the stake galloped off , hers comes St.Louie louie Roberts, l believe Danny had to give him weight ,probably the eight and the snap,busted him too, as we were walking out accompanied by the dog Joe Louis(cause he would knock you out) St.louie walked behind in the parking and asked Danny to front him a couple hundred so he could get back in action , Danny refused , in the car l asked why he wouldn;t front another 'player' the money.He said what if l had given him the money ,he goes in there and gets pumped up and comes back and bust me ? l was young and dumb to the game.lesson learned.