Whos the best playing instructor?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"who will be the worlds best?"

Johnny gives lessons, I don't see any of those guys beating him

Now we're talking.....and the "instructor plot" thickens....I really think we're on to something here....."who will be the worlds best?"....stay tuned

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now we're talking.....and the "instructor plot" thickens....I really think we're on to something here....."who will be the worlds best?"....stay tuned

Worlds best what?? Player that dabbles at a little instruction to make some extra dollars, or the worlds best instructor??

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You said a mouthful there Neil.......

Worlds best what?? Player that dabbles at a little instruction to make some extra dollars, or the worlds best instructor??

There is a difference between someone who is continually teaching and just give a lesson here or there each month. They are teachers but not very active ones.

Some of the BCA instructors are busting their butts off giving lessons wherever they can but other BCA instructors hardly give any lessons. These guys are still trying to help players.

Then you have the pros or the players that play at a professional level. Who knows if they help one players a month or one a year or none. They have just given some lessons here and there. Might have done more. Might have done less.

Unless a teacher is going out to different areas like some of the BCA instructors, Lee Brett, and myself their opportunities to teach are very limited.

Bottom line is a majority of players are not going to come to you. you need to go to them. Exceptions would be some of the great teachers in the country like Stan S and Jerry B. But even their lessons are limited being in one place.

Unless the player is certain they will learn something special they won't travel.

I really believe that if the teacher criteria was doing 30 lessons a month it would be a very small club.

For a teacher to call themselves a teacher just because they have a piece of paper saying so or they gave a couple of lessons once upon a time is technically so wrong.

But who's to know the difference.

You might have one of the greatest teachers in the country giving only 2 or 3 lessons a month. His job and life keeps him too busy to teach much. He's still a teacher.

And just because a player plays at a high level doesn't make him a good teacher. Many top players that I work with have no clue how or why they do what they do.

Just because someone goes through some course doesn't make them a good teacher either.

Players out there tell me who can teach and who can't. I'd never say any names but it's pretty obvious when you keep hearing the players say they didn't learn much at all.

There are others I hear allot of good things about. If I was not out and about I wouldn't have this type of knowledge.

Bottom line, I guess what I'm trying to say is it would be real tough to set guidelines and say this guy is a teacher and this guy is not.

If you teach at all you are trying to help players and you have to love the game. Bottom line. Some just take it to the extreme like me and go find the players and make themselves available.

Does that make me a better teacher. No. But I feel like I'm getting better at it all the time. Just like getting in stroke. Practice makes Perfect.

I learn every time I give a lesson and the snowball just keeps getting bigger. The things I keep learning I can pass on to the students so my hard work of traveling and teaching actually is a learning process also.

But for any teacher to share the knowledge that he has acquired over his lifetime for $100 to $200 is stealing.

Once a player opens that door of learning from lessons it's over. they can't get enough.

For anybody that reads this just force yourself in the next month to take a lesson from a good bonifide teacher in your area.

You might be surprised. And improve your game a little.

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Does it matter which one plays the best?I think they all have in mind on helping people.Lets say if we had an answer for who is was the best, is this saying he teaches better?No but maybe it help's him on sales.:grin:

What we really should be talking about are what instructors have the best results in students that have gone some where with pool.
That mite tell you who really is the best instructor.:wink:

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're doing a GREAT job Gene improving and promoting pocket billiards

There is a difference between someone who is continually teaching and just give a lesson here or there each month. They are teachers but not very active ones.

Some of the BCA instructors are busting their butts off giving lessons wherever they can but other BCA instructors hardly give any lessons. These guys are still trying to help players.

Then you have the pros or the players that play at a professional level. Who knows if they help one players a month or one a year or none. They have just given some lessons here and there. Might have done more. Might have done less.

Unless a teacher is going out to different areas like some of the BCA instructors, Lee Brett, and myself their opportunities to teach are very limited.

Bottom line is a majority of players are not going to come to you. you need to go to them. Exceptions would be some of the great teachers in the country like Stan S and Jerry B.

Unless the player is certain they will learn something special they won't travel.

I really believe that if the teach criteria was doing 30 lessons a month it would be a very small club.

For a teacher to call themselves a teacher just because they have a piece of paper saying so or they gave a couple of lessons once upon a time is technically so wrong.

But who's to know the difference.

You might have one of the greatest teachers in the country giving only 2 or 3 a week. His job and life keeps him too busy to teach much. He's still a teacher.

And just because a player plays at a high level doesn't make him a good teacher. Many top players that I work with have no clue how or why they do what they do.

Just because someone goes through some course doesn't make them a good teacher either.

Players out there tell me who can teach and who can't. I'd never say any names but it's pretty obvious when you keep hearing the players say they didn't learn much at all.

There are others I hear allot of good things about. If I was not out and about I wouldn't have this type of knowledge.

Bottom line, I guess what I'm trying to say is it would be real tough to set guidelines and say this guy is a teacher and this guy is not.

If you teach at all you are trying to help players and you have to love the game. Bottom line. Some just take it to the extreme like me and go find the players and make myself available.

Does that make me a better teacher. No. But I feel like I'm getting better at it all the time. Just like getting in stroke. Practice makes Perfect.

I learn every time I give a lesson and the snowball just keeps getting bigger. The things I keep learning I can pass on to the students so my hard work of traveling and teaching actually is a learning process also.

But for any teacher to share the knowledge that he has acquired over his lifetime for $100 to $200 is stealing.

Once a player opens that door of learning from lessons it's over. they can't get enough.

For anybody that reads this just force yourself in the next month to take a lesson from a good bonifide teacher in your area.

You might be surprised. And improve your game a little.

You're doing a GREAT job Gene, keep up the good work by improving and promoting pocket billiards in a positive, informative light.

What you are doing is admirable and I know it takes a great deal of effort. It's amazing to me that we played 30 years ago and we're both still involved in pool, although on slightly different paths. 'The Game is the Teacher'

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:sorry:

Definitely the world's best playing instructor is a male....

To be fair, any woman would need a spot or handicap.

Last edited:

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it matter which one plays the best?I think they all have in mind on helping people.Lets say if we had an answer for who is was the best, is this saying he teaches better?No but maybe it help's him on sales.:grin:

What we really should be talking about are what instructors have the best results in students that have gone some where with pool.

But the thread was who's the best playing instructor. Seems for some funny reason some have taken exception to this question. What instructor has the best results would make a good thread though, if it could be verified in a un-biased way.

DrOnePocket

Banned
I'm not gonna read the whole thread but, Charlie Bryant gives many lessons and plays jam up. Still i can't see Johnny being topped here

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I'm not gonna read the whole thread but, Charlie Bryant gives many lessons and plays jam up. Still i can't see Johnny being topped here

I wonder how many world class players Efren has helped / instructed over the years?

As to the other posturing/challenging going on in this thread I'm just going to pull up a chair and have some pop corn.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
But the thread was who's the best playing instructor. Seems for some funny reason some have taken exception to this question. What instructor has the best results would make a good thread though, if it could be verified in a un-biased way.

Well not all post go as planned.Just interrupting things and this what I came up with.:grin:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are women the best instructors?

:sorry:

Definitely the world's best playing instructor is a male....

To be fair, any woman would need a spot or handicap.

I don't know about that....I've met some women with a LOT of knowledge.:wink:
564707_10151168656141552_1541824077_n.jpg

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ask Efren what his "secret" was

I wonder how many world class players Efren has helped / instructed over the years?

As to the other posturing/challenging going on in this thread I'm just going to pull up a chair and have some pop corn.

I ask Efren what his "secret" was to playing so well and he simply said "No Spin".....so I quit spinning :wink: he was right!

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I ask Efren what his "secret" was to playing so well and he simply said "No Spin".....so I quit spinning :wink: he was right!

Yep! I've been working with this technique for a few weeks now, and put it to work in the PanCyprian Cup competition here in Cyprus (kind of an 8 ball league that feeds into the EURO Tour). Last night I won my second consecutive match (in a dominating fashion, blanking my opponents both times). I continued to play all comers after the match for the next 3 1/2 hours...didn't drop a single game. The jump in my game is nothing short of scary. The difference in (a) confidence/consistency in shot making and (b) the absolute control over the cue ball is remarkable. Every time I was forced to use a little outside spin to flatten out off the rail or move the cueball I shocked myself at how out of control that feels now. I can't believe I spent over 25 years relying on spin so much. Results may vary (but I'm definitely happy!).:grin:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Yes, it does matter which instructor plays the best.

Just like it matters which instructor teaches the best.

Personally, I don't consider ANYONE an instructor unless they make the majority of their living from "instructing". That doesn't demean the instructors who only teach a few students a year either, no more than saying that one instructor is a better player than another instructor.

There are different types of instructors, at least from my perspective. There are those who are best suited for teaching beginning and intermediate players and others who are best suited for teaching advanced players. This no more sheds a bad light on the instructors who are best suited for teaching beginning players than when someone says, so and so is best suited for teaching advanced players. You can learn different things from different instructors.

I wouldn't mind knowing who was the best playing instructor but first I think we have to establish what constitutes an instructor. Is it someone who teaches students several times a year or is it someone who teaches students scores of times per year? What about the people who have teaching videos but don't get out much? Would they qualify as an instructor for this purpose? Some people seem to specialize in teaching students via DVDs and others teach one on one or in group form.

Also, if instructors wanted to test their skills against one another, they could do it anytime they wanted (apparently most don't want). When most people, not just instructors, are challenged to test their skills on the table, by another person, they most often decline for various reasons, most often because of the possibility of losing their money in a money match and secondly from losing their pride.

Night before last, we had champion after champion and gambler after gambler barking at one another for hours on end and no one did anything except bark. It goes on in the pool room everyday and instructors are no different. There will be a lot of talk, a lot of pride covering and when it is all said and done there will be no tournament for instructors. Oh well, life goes on.

So let's cover what constitues a "genuine" pool instructor. Should that be measured by the portion of money that one earns from instructing, the number of students that one instructs each year, the number of pool instructional DVD's that are sold, part-time/full-time, or the popularity of the instructor? Or should we just say that anyone can be an "instructor"?

FTR, I see an awful lot of people at our poolroom "instructing". :grin:

I go with popularity. :cool:

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Yes, it does matter which instructor plays the best.

Just like it matters which instructor teaches the best.

Personally, I don't consider ANYONE an instructor unless they make the majority of their living from "instructing". That doesn't demean the instructors who only teach a few students a year either, no more than saying that one instructor is a better player than another instructor.

There are different types of instructors, at least from my perspective. There are those who are best suited for teaching beginning and intermediate players and others who are best suited for teaching advanced players. This no more sheds a bad light on the instructors who are best suited for teaching beginning players than when someone says, so and so is best suited for teaching advanced players. You can learn different things from different instructors.

I wouldn't mind knowing who was the best playing instructor but first I think we have to establish what constitutes an instructor. Is it someone who teaches students several times a year or is it someone who teaches students scores of times per year? What about the people who have teaching videos but don't get out much? Would they qualify as an instructor for this purpose? Some people seem to specialize in teaching students via DVDs and others teach one on one or in group form.

Also, if instructors wanted to test their skills against one another, they could do it anytime they wanted (apparently most don't want). When most people, not just instructors, are challenged to test their skills on the table, by another person, they most often decline for various reasons, most often because of the possibility of losing their money in a money match and secondly from losing their pride.

Night before last, we had champion after champion and gambler after gambler barking at one another for hours on end and no one did anything except bark. It goes on in the pool room everyday and instructors are no different. There will be a lot of talk, a lot of pride covering and when it is all said and done there will be no tournament for instructors. Oh well, life goes on.

So let's cover what constitues a "genuine" pool instructor. Should that be measured by the portion of money that one earns from instructing, the number of students that one instructs each year, the number of pool instructional DVD's that are sold, part-time/full-time, or the popularity of the instructor? Or should we just say that anyone can be an "instructor"?

FTR, I see an awful lot of people at our poolroom "instructing". :grin:

I go with popularity. :cool:

I think you summed it up very well, Joey.

Roger

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger...Yeah, except for the part about players/instructors not wanting to "post up" and gamble, to "prove" their skill. The real truth is that there is a huge majority of poolplayers and instructors, who 1) don't think gambling provides a positive image for the sport; or 2) just aren't into gambling. I have offered many times (and then gone ahead and done it) to kick somebody's a$$ on the table for free. Most decline (usually saying something like, "I don't play for nuthin'!")...just sayin'!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think you summed it up very well, Joey.

Roger