Who's the best you ever played for the cash???

DWoods6354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best lessons ever

In the mid 80's I matched up with a gorgeous young lady named Robin Bell - now Robin Dodson. I was in the Army, playing pretty sporty, and just couldn't loose to a girl. My mind was closed and my nose was open.

About two years later - Danny Medina. I didn't know who he was and nobody could offer me that spot..... Yea...

Best lessons in humility I have ever paid for.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strong arm john,

john came to chippewa falls, wi and i had never heard of him. He talked me into giving him the called 6 ball. I won 600 that day. Race to something for 300.

We were supposed to play the next day. I was at my poolroom only to find out he was in the next town playing one of my buddies so 10 nine ball.

I talked to him on the phone and told him he should have called. His answer was we could play some $100.00 nine ball if he gets the wild 6 ball. Never thought about it too much and just said yes.

I saw a different guy play that day. He not only won the 600 back but had me stuck another 1200 i think. Maybe only 1000.

I told myself i had 3 more bullits and i had enough.

I started breaking and running out. I don't know how many i ran but when i didn't run out i locked him out.

Finally john looked at me and i think he said____this.

I think i won about 900. I shot my way out of what i think was the worst trap of my life.

I felt like the poker player that only had one card to hit to win it all.and hit it.

About 4 days later i got a call from one of the guys up in minneapolis and wanted to know the line on john. He asked me if it was true that i gave this guy the wild 6 and beat him out of 900. My answer was yes.

About a month later i was up in minneapolis and i heard about this guy with big arms that busted everyone. I don't know how much he won but i know it was alot. Thousands.

I knew then that i really did outrun the nuts.

I'VE PLAYED BETTER PLAYERS BEFORE BUT I NEVER MET ANYONE THAT LAID IT DOWN BETTER THAN JOHN DID. BY ALL RIGHTS HE HAD ME RIGHT BY THE BALLS. I SHOT MYSELF OUT OF THE TRAP. MY FRIENDS IN MINNEAPOLIS WERE NOT SO FORTUANATE.

BEST MOVES I EVER SAW. I HAVE NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR THIS GUY..........................

Last edited:

liljon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players!

When I was about 15 I guess the word had got out that I was a sucker and all we had in our town was bar tables. I wasnt anyone at the time and had never been anywhere out of MS... I didnt know about pool, pool players, or matching up I just played. The word got out and guys started coming from everywhere.. When I tell you that I played every top traveling road player I mean I really did and I played them all even untill I was about 20 and started getting out... One of the best performances ever put on me was by Danny Basavich... He had been hanging out in Philadelphia MS for weeks working the locals in hopes to get me and he did. Im not exagerrating when I tell you he broke and ran like 12 or 13 racks on me in a row and ran 6's regularly.. I was so impressed that I wouldnt quit bc at that time I thought it was unhuman and he couldnt keep doing it... Danny later told the story in chapter 14 of his new book "riding the rail".. It was an awesome experience to see... Now of course I played better players than Danny in my life but that given day he was by far the best and it was amazing to watch... I hope he is dong well havent heard his name in a while but then again I havent been around much myself.... Lil John Macias

searcyD

Banned
cecil from hardtimes

Walking into hardtimes after a few months off, I was fortunate to run into cecil standing outside next to his bike. He is barred from the place (for whatever reason he tells me is unfair). He couldn't remember me, nor what he once said to me about memory. We played a race to 7 for 20$ nineball. This guy could be top 4 in the country one pocket opposite handed.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,

How good could Jersey play??? What was his temperament when you played him. I have read some about him and found him interesting. By the way, I just ordered your book. I'm looking forward to the read.

He only played GREAT at all games! You are talking about one of the all time great pool players here. Certainly in the top five of his generation which included Ronnie, Kelly, Shorty and Ervolino. Plus many other terriific players.

Red had a wonderful temperment. He truly enjoyed playing pool, especially for money. He would be stealing your money and making you laugh at the same time. But he was no pushover. Red was a big strong guy (former pro ballplayer) and he wouldn't take crap from anyone. If you tried to cheat him or shark him, you were on shaky ground.

If Red started to get upset and told you to be quiet, then you had been warned. No second warning, you were evicted from the premises PERSONALLY! I saw him take a guy by the ear and lead him to the door at Guys and Dolls. He said you can keep your ear if you leave now and don't come back. I never saw that guy again in Guys and Dolls.

Last edited:

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Of all the pros I've played against, I think the one who played the best against me was Ko Pin Yi.

He offered a big spot, and proceeded to run over me with no effort.

I think he will be a future world champion.

liljon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another One

When John Scmdt first came to the south he was hanging out in Mobile, AL.. At that time he wasnt a onepocket player but he was such a straight shooter that he could give up games to the locals that they thought they could win at bc he never shot the "right" shot but he kept winning! Well at that time I was heavy into real action so I made that 80 mile trip often to try and trap the locals myself.... Keep in mind at this time ole Johnny was a good player but not the player he is now and nobody really new him... When the action slowed down for John he came to hburg and we had just gotten out first 9ft table in our town.. It was a used gc4 that played gaffy and I knew it pretty well... He came in and asked me to play and I sd I wouldnt play him for less than 500 a game 9ball bc I thought he was a nit and a dog at the time!! Well we ended up playing like 300 a game with me getting the 8 (way out of line but I didnt know it) and I was screeming at his crew to up it every game and we ended up playing like 800 a game 9ball for hours and at one time I was winner like 7 or 8 dimes shooting at the 7ball to bust him (didnt know that at the time) and I missed it and John came all the way back and ended up winning a decent score off me... For about a year we battled matching up a "fair" way regularly and always for a good bet... John went on to win about 75 dimes in our area that year off of about 5 of us.. Mostly me and bird but that is how and when he became a very good seasoned gambler and a couple years later won the US Open... Im not gonna swear to it but I would bet that he would say that the money pressure he was exposed to down south was like the final part to making him become the truly well rounded player/gambler that he is today!! By the way he later told me that he was on his case game when I missed that 7! Just thought it was a good story.. Lil John Macias

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
L J..we always never seen things eye to eye !

When I was about 15 I guess the word had got out that I was a sucker and all we had in our town was bar tables. I wasnt anyone at the time and had never been anywhere out of MS... I didnt know about pool, pool players, or matching up I just played. The word got out and guys started coming from everywhere.. When I tell you that I played every top traveling road player I mean I really did and I played them all even untill I was about 20 and started getting out... One of the best performances ever put on me was by Danny Basavich... He had been hanging out in Philadelphia MS for weeks working the locals in hopes to get me and he did. Im not exagerrating when I tell you he broke and ran like 12 or 13 racks on me in a row and ran 6's regularly.. I was so impressed that I wouldnt quit bc at that time I thought it was unhuman and he couldnt keep doing it... Danny later told the story in chapter 14 of his new book "riding the rail".. It was an awesome experience to see... Now of course I played better players than Danny in my life but that given day he was by far the best and it was amazing to watch... I hope he is dong well havent heard his name in a while but then again I havent been around much myself.... Lil John Macias

But you always had gamble when you thought you had a chance...Thanks for all the great battles we had over the years....Troy

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny Medina made an impression on me too!

In the mid 80's I matched up with a gorgeous young lady named Robin Bell - now Robin Dodson. I was in the Army, playing pretty sporty, and just couldn't loose to a girl. My mind was closed and my nose was open.

About two years later - Danny Medina. I didn't know who he was and nobody could offer me that spot..... Yea...

Best lessons in humility I have ever paid for.

I suspect the toughest player I ever matched up with was some unknown on his home table somewhere. When you go into those little small town places where the guys play one table seven days a week and it is old and broken down they can be triple tough on that one table knowing every roll and dead spot, even how certain balls have to be played. I took a beating for months on one of those tables from an elderly gentleman that even had the bugs flying around the light named.

The toughest game with a name to go with it was Danny Medina playing bar box eight ball, no spot. I was the hometown hero with the table I had down cold and with that edge we were dead even. I have been in longer battles but that is the toughest battle I was ever in for that many hours. We both enjoyed the struggle and parted as friends. He offered and I was very tempted to take a ride with him but I had local commitments at the time. I have played a better known player or two but I've never played anyone where we were so evenly matched as Danny and I were that particular night on that table.

Hu

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
When I first came down to Tampa, FL in 1980 I use to hang out with the jockey’s and trainers from Tampa Bay Downs at the old Barn in Oldsmar, FL and the Porthole in Town and Country. They both had bar tables.

One night this guy comes into the Barn and puts his quarter up to play. I had been taking a good bit of money out of both bars for a few months at that time and was at the top of my game. After we played 8-ball for a few cheap games he offered me the 8 in 9-ball for $20 a game. When I was down a little over $100 he figured I was going to quit so he gave me the 7&8 for $40 a game. It didn’t take him long to get into my pocket for $400. When I went up to the bar after the bleeding stopped I asked the bartender who I had just played. She said, “That was Buddy Hall”. I had been set-up and jumped on the hook like the dumbest fish in the pool world. I had no clue who he was at the time. I knew all the NY, NJ, and PA pros, but didn’t know many in the South.

I also hung out with Steve Cook. We would go bar hopping around Central, FL making money and partying. By the end of almost every night we made money he would offer me a game with a spot that sounded like a lock for me, like giving me 50- going to 100 in 14.1. I don’t ever think I beat him at 14.1 or 9-ball. I got him in 8-ball a few times though. I liked Steve and really didn’t mind donating to him. I was making good money back then from tip from jocks and trainers, pool, and selling my wares to the jocks and others. Johnnyt

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But you always had gamble when you thought you had a chance...Thanks for all the great battles we had over the years....Troy

I was playing some cheap 8-ball in a bar close to my home one night, and 2 guy came in and challenged the table. This was around 1986. They didn't think I knew who they were. The first guy loses to me, and don't play any more. The next guy play a couple of games and loses, then starts trying to raise the bet. I tell him no, and he loses a couple more, and he asked to raise it. I tell him no again. I win a couple more and won't let him raise it, and they leave. It was Richie Ambrose.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played Buddy Hall even....for $2 a game 9 ball.

Bob Dickerson gave me the last 4 playing 9 ball.

Both of these guys play the same style. Their cueball control is so incredible, its like they have ball in hand on everyshot.

Boring to watch because they never have a hard shot, thats the trick. An average person would never realize that getting the perfect shot is better than making a wild flyer.

Ken

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member

What's up LJ? It's BH. It was awesome around that time. We had sombody coming in every weekend to play. If we didn't, we would go to find them. Stonewall, Meridian, New Orleans, Chalmet, Mobile, Memphis, Port Arthur, Jackson, Tunica, Slidel, Gulfport, etc. Ahhhh...the good ole days. Those were some wild times and I remember them fondly. I could tell some of those stories but most are better left unsaid. ;) When you get settled in, you need to come back down and hang out. Otherwise, your going to force me to fly out there.

jayz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well back in the day.....I use to match up pretty good. But there was this one kid....Blake...we called him blizzz. He was just good enough to keep my noise open. I never wanted to beat someone as much as blizzz.

Was that at Bob's Billiards or Bellflower?

I remember Blake, if he was that little curley haired redheaded kid.
He hung out with Australian Pete. I used to call him "Nubs", he, he.

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a one night stand I would have to say, Toby Sweet. He had me stuck twelve hundred at a hundred a rack before I got my cue together. I did manage to come back and get close to even but he was tough.

On a regular basis I gambled with Larry, "Boston Shorty," Johnson quite a bit and if he was jumping up on the table and we were playing push-out on every shot he was very hard to beat.

I never gambled much with Mike Zuglan or Nick Vlahos but they were certainly impressive players.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I got trapped by Rudolpho Luat, matched up well with Cliff Joyner, well with Tony Ellin, many many more. But... the hardest for the cash? Fu@#ing James Walden. Unreal play for hours. I just THOUGHT I was able to play for hours. He's something else. I almost quit for a while after he came through NC.

mutchnick

Registered
Spanish Mike Lebron and Jimmy Fusco

Played Spanish Mike Lebron in the eary 1990's at South Philly Billiards. Mike playered pretty good back then and beat me 9-3. Must have made half his money balls on combinations and caroms. Jimmy Fusco crushed me 6-0. I think I had one or two shots. They both wasted no time with me. I did get Bob Maidoff on three fouls a couple times, that was fun.

Corvette Scott
www.AtlanticCityPokerman.com

swrooster

A HOTDOG ROAD PLAYER!!
Silver Member
Lost Many Times

In the early 70's I had the good fortune to get pummeled by Jimmy Moore, Danny Medina and Billy Wier. I then put less focus on pool and more on construction. In the late seventies Keith re-enforced that to me with a severe cash seperation plan I bailed into. I have never played anyone that ever played to the level that Keith played that month. I wish I could have played Buddy in his prime as he is as close to Keith as anyone I've played, ...the luxury of age is that you get more selective. One session with Keith lasted from 10 one night till 4 the next afternoon. Gosh I took a beating...back then I was aka Bill Moore. Life has been good and I still love the game of pool.

Gmanpoke

Banned
Well, I got trapped by Rudolpho Luat, matched up well with Cliff Joyner, well with Tony Ellin, many many more. But... the hardest for the cash? Fu@#ing James Walden. Unreal play for hours. I just THOUGHT I was able to play for hours. He's something else. I almost quit for a while after he came through NC.

I've been playing James Walden over the last month (cheap one pocket). He's giving me 10 3 and killing me. However, the last time we played it was for 6 hours and I was only 5 game loser. Now I'm just waiting for him to up the bet. If fact, Sunday James was asking what I did for a living and said "you probably make $150K a year". I feel like I've got this hook in my mouth and I'm being reeled in.

Steven