WPBA Viejas Vehemence

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Did i call it or WHAT!
AZ headline

SHIP IT!

Thank you Jerry Forsyth, thank you

The San Diego Classic began as a classic dogfight in the players meeting. Before it was over new board members John Rousseau and Tamre Rogers were asked to leave the room so that the players could feel free to talk about their leadership and the progress or lack thereof of the WPBA that is struggling to get out of their current situation of dwindling sponsorship and disappearing tour stops.

The players meeting had many highlights. When Rousseau indicated that he felt the WPBA had been mistreated by Brunswick, Ewa Laurance objected, and was immediately backed up by Vivian Villarreal, reminding the room of the many years and the millions of dollars in sponsorship money supplied by Brunswick. This developed into an argument that had even Rousseau’s staunchest supporters requesting that an apology be offered to Laurance and to Brunswick. None was forthcoming.

At one point, the criticism of Rousseau became intense and Jeanette Lee spoke up and said she would speak for Rousseau and that “we have been very busy preparing new player contracts”. This was met with questions from several players about why a player who is not on the board would be involved with board matters. It was also announced that Jeanette is pregnant and will be leaving the tour to await the birth after the US Open. As for the new contracts, we have been told that they are now for a two-year term.

Kim White and several other players requested to see minutes from meetings thus far in 2010, and also inquired about who is the secretary, treasurer, etc. and was told the only position that had been filled at this time, was the President's position. There were also several concerns regarding other By-Laws being ignored and the fact that an unprecedented four board members have resigned.

The comment was made that Anne Craig had resigned in a dispute over her pay. But when Craig was brought into the room she said that the reason she left had nothing to do with money, rather she felt that the wide gap in business philosophies with the new members of the board was too great and she felt it better if she simply stepped down.

AZBilliards has been on the phone with many sources, all of whom are afraid to go on the record due to insinuations they say have been made by their leadership about how they would not tolerate negative public comments about Mr. Rousseau's handling of WPBA business. There is a cloak of silence now that has been draped around the organization and no critical comments may emerge without being seen as rebellious, no matter how truthful the comments.

Another meeting has been called for Saturday morning. Some players are pushing for a vote there to determine whether or not Rousseau remains as President. Several have told us that he would be better served as a Marketing Director, as that is his forte, and to have someone else as the Presidential front man, someone who carries less of an edge in their communication skils.

There have however, been some promising assurances made. According to Mr. Rousseau, Goldman-Sachs is said to have four million dollars ready to invest in the WPBA. But no timeline for said investment has been forthcoming. And there are assurances that more tour stops are under plan but no specifics have been mentioned. At this point, the seven-member Board of Directors is down to four persons due to the aforementioned resignations and these positions need to be filled. Whoever comes on the board now needs to come with solutions. Among other pressing issues, how does the WPBA fill the television time they need to fill with their current schedule? Not only in the US, but abroad as well? And how did we go from six events in 2009 to only two in 2010? Are there more events being prepared? With Board members unable to communicate to the media unscreened it is difficult to find the answers to any of these questions.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
No you didn't Superstar. It's worse than you thought it was!

I feel bad for the pioneers of the WPBA. Women like Ewa Mataya Laurence, Vicki Paski, Shari Stauch and Belinda Campos who worked so hard to create a women's pro tour. Now they see it self destructing in front of their eyes.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Why was JL involved with player contracts? Something going on there. Maybe she is taking over the tour. Johnnyt

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Give it time

I read these threads and shake my head. The WPBA has been on the edge of failure/collapse for several years. The signs of serious problems have been present for everyone to see.

I think there are too many people wanting Rouseau to fail - if they were real fans of the sport, they would offer to help him succeed.

Rousseau just got elected a few months ago. He inherited a mess, a basically dysfunctional tour with almost no plans. Several of the major sponsors had either financially bailed or were talking about it.

The existing board members, although full of good intentions, were just not able to muster the leadership traits that were needed to lead this entity into the future. The tour had gotten weaker and weaker.

It was a case of who is driving this bus????

As many of you know, I also had thrown my hat into the election on the WPBA board. I knew it would be a HUGE challenge to make this tour work in the future. I knew some of the WPBA problems and that is why I wanted to help try solve some of their issues.

I did not know that one of the major sponsors (APA) would basically blackmail the membership into eliminating me from the process of being a board member.
To place all of this blame on a new president is indicative of the problems that plague the WPBA. In order to survive in thes current economic climate, new proposals and mind sets are needed. The same old formulas do not work.

I think the billiard community that is fast to point the blame at Rousseau is being very naive and burying their head in the sand.

These problems did not just appear. They have been brewing for several years. I think it would be prudent to look at past management of the WPBA. That is a much more accurate target for the finger pointing.

Mark Griffin

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
There have however, been some promising assurances made. According to Mr. Rousseau, Goldman-Sachs is said to have four million dollars ready to invest in the WPBA. But no timeline for said investment has been forthcoming. [/B][/COLOR]

This is, without a doubt, the STUPIDEST thing Mr. Rousseau could have done. Publicly mentioning an investment before it happens usually ends with the investment never occurring. Putting Goldman-Sachs's business out there before a done deal is like publicly saying you had sex with a girl before you even kissed her. The girl is usually shocked and then offended...and ultimately tells you to find someone else to date.

Rousseau... if you're reading this.... "amateur move" in letting the room pressure you into publicly mentioning something like that.

Dave

jrackman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick?

Good for Eva & Vivian standing up for Brunswick. Why would anybody in their right minds attack a company that has promoted professional pool for well over 100 years. No loyalty in todays world as I see it...JMO.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Good for Eva & Vivian standing up for Brunswick. Why would anybody in their right minds attack a company that has promoted professional pool for well over 100 years. No loyalty in todays world as I see it...JMO.

With all due respect with their previous sponsorship to WPBA, this year, Brunswick abandoned and left them high and dry. And if that's not enough, only within a month approaching to tour date, WPBA didn't have table sponsor.

This was a decision that Brunswick could had notified WPBA in advance.

J. Rousseau was not attacking Brunswick in general, but just frustrated with their latest decision. He's main goal is to look after the tour (WPBA).

And, people let's not be so naive and jump on the band wagon as if it was J. Rousseau that disseminated the WPBA Board. They were on the road to self destruction long before he was voted in.

S.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
So sad. I am sure all this is going to be in the women's heads as they play the event.

Just yesterday I read that America has 1000+ billionaires and that China is now in second place with 750ish billionaires.

We toss around numbers like 20billion like it's nothing now and we can't find enough money to put a couple hundred pool players to work with solid events throughout the year.

Well, I will say this again, the money for a professional tour should come from the grassroots players. 25cts a week per player per league night would put hundreds of thousands into funding a tour, paying staff and securing further sponsorship and television deals.

No Money - No Honey.

Ladies, I know you are reading this.

You are the only ones who can do this for you. There will be no white knight riding in to rescue the princess.

Look up the Women's World Cup and see what the women of the USA Women's Soccer team did for themselves to make the World Cup a success in the USA.

I don't know what the APA gives to the women for sponsorship but I'd start by asking them to give up a quarter per player per week. The APA says that they have 250,000 members and they want to take an active role in who can be on the board of tours they sponsor so let them just buy and run the whole damn thing.

$60,000 thousand a week ought to be enough to allow the ladies a secure and professionally run tour.

Or maybe one of those billionaires who likes pool will just step in an buy the whole sport and do it right.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
With all due respect with their previous sponsorship to WPBA, this year, Brunswick abandoned and left them high and dry. And if that's not enough, only within a month approaching to tour date, WPBA didn't have table sponsor.

This was a decision that Brunswick could had notified WPBA in advance.

J. Rousseau was not attacking Brunswick in general, but just frustrated with their latest decision. He's main goal is to look after the tour (WPBA).

And, people let's not be so naive and jump on the band wagon as if it was J. Rousseau that disseminated the WPBA Board. They were on the road to self destruction long before he was voted in.

S.

Well,

There are two things you don't do. You don't knock the former sponsor because you might want to and need to cross that bridge again someday.

With sponsors you treat them graciously like an ex who you are still friends with. Because even if you never get back with them you can be sure that other sponsors are watching how you handle it.

And you don't OUT pending deals UNLESS you are SURE that there won't be any leaks.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I am curious as to when and how Brunswick notified the WPBA that they were abandoning them. My understanding is that just a couple weeks ago, the folks at Brunswick were asking when they would be contacted about setting up tables at Viejas.

Mike

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Supporting the pro players

JB Cues said: Well, I will say this again, the money for a professional tour should come from the grassroots players. 25cts a week per player per league night would put hundreds of thousands into funding a tour, paying staff and securing further sponsorship and television deals.

I totally agree.

The USAPL is up and running - with several leagues all over the country. 50 cents of every player's dues go to support he pros - either in performance fees or added money to tournaments.

We are just starting but hope to become a major support system for pool. This is a GOOD system. Nationally handicap with over a 70% hill-hill record.

Time will tell. But I firmly believe this is the future of pool. I said it two years ago and am now ready to prove it!

Call with questions (702-719-7665). www.playusapool.com

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Well,

There are two things you don't do. You don't knock the former sponsor because you might want to and need to cross that bridge again someday.

With sponsors you treat them graciously like an ex who you are still friends with. Because even if you never get back with them you can be sure that other sponsors are watching how you handle it.

And you don't OUT pending deals UNLESS you are SURE that there won't be any leaks.

As I understand, there was no 'bashing' of Brunswick. The board's loyalty it to the tour. It is a common knowledge that last year, Brunswick did not add any MONEY to the tour. And I would assume this could cause some frustration to the other "paying" sponsors. As most realize the table sponsor gets the most bang out of televised matches and they should pay their fair share.

I think WPBA has shown their gratitude and loyalty to Brunswick - they were listed as a sponsor all last year. Without adding any money.

However, I'm not on the board and none of us are. I hope the board members find the strength to unite and utilize each other's strength instead of bickering. Look beyond their personal gain and try to save the tour!

S.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I am curious as to when and how Brunswick notified the WPBA that they were abandoning them. My understanding is that just a couple weeks ago, the folks at Brunswick were asking when they would be contacted about setting up tables at Viejas.

Mike

Aren't you on the board? I thought we were celebrating your election last year?

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
It's sad to see the WPBA gets to this point.

I have always been a fan of the ladies for their dedications to "the WPBA".

I sincerely hope that they will be able to get through these tough times.

PoolJunkie216

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Proof that some of the people running the show presently & in the past were clueless about how to do things right. This ship did not fall apart overnight. Seriously, some need to get their head out of their ass.

As far as a non-board member having anything to do with contracts, that is a huge red flag & is yet another sign of the dog & pony show going on at the WPBA.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The existing board members, although full of good intentions, were just not able to muster the leadership traits that were needed to lead this entity into the future. The tour had gotten weaker and weaker.

It was a case of who is driving this bus????

These problems did not just appear. They have been brewing for several years. I think it would be prudent to look at past management of the WPBA. That is a much more accurate target for the finger pointing.

Mark Griffin

Well Mark, when I brought this possibility up last month - Anne Craig stated that she had nothing to do with sponsorships or arranging of the tour itself. I was confused by her response that the president had nothing to do with this.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2254679&postcount=26

How about Anne fires away directly :)

Yes I resigned last month.

I started working for the WPBA in January of 2008. 2 years ago for those that don't have a calculator handy ;)

One of the things I was NOT responsible for, signing up venues and sponsors, that task went directly to the Board of Directors - I was an office & event administrator.

The things I took care of were (taken directly from my resume):

Office and Event Administrator
• Supervised Professional Tournament Logistics and Administration:
 Event Public Relations; pre, during & post tournament
 Coordinating between Host Site, WPBA Site Logistics, Equipment Installers and WPBA Staff
 Professional Player Liaison between Host Site, Sponsors & Media
 Tracking Prize fund payouts and Player Rankings updates
• Merchandise Purchasing & Tracking
• Public Relations – General
• Bookkeeping
• WPBA Regional Tour Liaison
• Official WPBA Photographer
 Created Limited Edition Action Shot prints, including layout in Adobe Photoshop
 Created 2009 WPBA 8”x10” Exempt Professional Headshots for sale, including layout and insertion of all logo’s in Adobe Photoshop
 Two Action shots featured on the cover of Pool & Billiards Magazine (October 2009 and January 2010 editions)
 Action photos of players used for all WPBA tournament articles published in newspapers, magazines and online
• Sponsor relations
• Responsible for www.wpba.com content updates
• Official WPBA Tour Writer including all daily tournament updates, final Tournament in Review stories and the WPBA Insider – quarterly newsletter
• Clerical and database maintenance for all player and fan memberships
• Customer service for all players, fans, sponsors and media

(Note: website content updates meant that, I'm not a web designer but I did my best to make sure what you read was up to date)

Anyway, I took my work seriously and did the best I could. Thank goodness for Linda Pault, TSi Events, Melissa Herndon, Kristi Carter, Belinda Calhoun, Melanie Wignall, Steve Tipton and Mark Wilson - without whom the WPBA would have come to a grinding halt.

For those going to the RTC, I'll be there that Saturday, the 20th of February with my new Nikon D90 that my wonderful guy is buying for me. Come say hi!

I wish the WPBA all the best for 2010