$75 a day for a live stream and you can't afford it? WOW!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think as soon as you get beyond the idea that the problem is that your customers are too cheap you'll be much more successful.

I guess a good question would be who are the customers? Is the venue the customer?

I think Daniel has been given a lot of good suggestions here. One of them would be to prepare something that illustrates the benefit to the room of having him there.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Tennis' US Open just concluded. The women's winner, Serena Williams, won a total of $3.6 million for her performance. The entire tournament, including men's and women's championship matches, were streamed live for free. Just thinking....

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't feel so bad. Apparently, the folks running the WPA WORLD NINE-BALL CHAMPIONSHIPS can't afford to have their event streamed.

Talk about sad. I don't get it.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The problem is not you or even the room owner. The problem is the pool players. A pool room adds $1000, $2000 or more to a pool tournament, 60 players show up. The pool room is giving their space during a time when they normally should be busy anyways - the weekend. The 60 pool players will spend an average of $8 a piece over the weekend. Some spectators show up and spend a little more. The pool room, after added money and loss of normal revenue, is lucky to break even.

The pool room was even before it started.

Next time you see some pool player eating McDonalds in the parking lot during a tournament or pulling out a bottle and mixing his own drink in the bathroom, let them know that they are hurting pool and making it so the pool room can't afford to promote thru streaming.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I feel for you Dan, but it's just another indication that there's no money in pool. The pains of a shrinking industry.

I'm sure you've already thought of this idea, but I'd find 2-3 sponsors like a production cue maker, cloth maker, etc and offer to run a 30-second spot for them in every match. If they don't already have a 30-second spot you could make a simple one for them...if they agree to sponsor the stream for 10 events a year. Put their logos in the corner of the screen between racks. Five "commentary" mentions each match. I think you've already done some of this in the past - I'd just make it my focus because I don't see a lot of value to the venue.

Important to note that the sponsors of the tournament get nothing from you. Simonis does not get mentioned during the stream just because it's a sponsor of the tournament. If it wants a commercial message during the stream it has to become a stream sponsor. I see no reason to mention the venue unless it sponsors too; the viewer doesn't care where the match is happening -it's in his living room.

Best of luck. I really enjoy your streams (actually I see them after-the-fact as youtube videos...but appreciate them none the less).

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
There's some pretty good thoughts and angles in the posts so far. To me it boils down to "if you build it, they will come". Which you have been doing this whole time and and doing a great job if I do say so myself.

You have great streams and videos! I've definitely noticed an improvement in quality as well. I know you get tons of views and if you keep improving and providing quality content then I'm sure you're clout and credibility will grow with it. Once venues, promoters, and sponsors start realizing the reach you have then they'll start paying.

Social media is just getting bigger and bigger as far as commercial opportunities goes. You're doing great so far, I hope you find it worth your while to keep at it.

Good luck to you brother :thumbup:

greenroomms

Registered
isn't this the same stream that always freezes and stuff like that? if it is i wouldn't pay to view a stream or to be the host of the stream

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I have watched several of your streams. They are well run and the commentary is good.

If people want to be under appreciative of a good service for such a low price, don't bang your head into the wall. Just say, " Later guys".

They will come to realize sooner or later of what they missed out on.

Then you can tell them to go blow some goats.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Uh huh, with 100 K worth of equipment.
I believe that when you purchase that much in Video equipment, it also comes with a
Streaming Excuse Book.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Tennis' US Open just concluded. The women's winner, Serena Williams, won a total of $3.6 million for her performance. The entire tournament, including men's and women's championship matches, were streamed live for free. Just thinking....

Advertisers, sponsors, cable subscribers....Just saying. :smile:

J

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Here's the deal...

I've spent 2 years establishing the brand, the stream, promoting the players, the venue, the sponsors and not to mention the very game of pool.

I've given of myself for 2 years, and done it for free on many occasions, but there comes a point when, if someone thinks that it would be a good idea for me to show up with me 2-3 cameras and stream at your venue for at least 12 hours a day, commentate and sweat the matches, promote your venue and tell the audience how awesome the spot is, the service, the amenities, the quality of the tables; you'd think that $75 a day would be negligible.

Yes, I can go with sponsors...
Yes, you, the public could make donations...
Yes, I could do it Pay Per View
Yes, I could even do it totally for free and HOPE the content keeps my name out there

But, seriously, the venue should also see the value in this type of promotion.

Matches go up to YouTube and are constantly viewed thousands of time with multiple mentions of the venue and tournament directors.

I just F***ing hate people that are cheap but still think they are gonna get what they want.

Bottom line in my perspective: The venues should also be willing to support the pool community and the streamer is now becoming an intricate part of it.

I totally agree with you..........you do good work too.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I swear these places kill me! Your having a 2-day tournament featuring some of SoCal's top notch players, yet you don't want to donate $75 a day to have me stream it?

And people wonder why the pool world is hurting!

I guess I'm just venting and this point...

Woe is me...LOL

It's not much money. I suspect they are just not interested. It's their right without having to be insulted.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL.... Don't mind me, I really thought that after reading the first sentence in the OP Povpool was saying us, the viewers would pay 75 a day for ppv.

The funny part is I was thinking, that's a little high, but I'd be in for 25 a day :grin-square: so long as it was a full day of 1pkt or 14.1 without constant blackouts.

I can't imagine a pool room owner not going for that no matter what the game. There gotta be more to it, no?

That's what I thought and I knew he wouldn't get many to pay 75.00 a day to watch a stream. I had no idea he was talking about a total of 75.00. Pool is one of the cheapest sports in the world and most players are also.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
It's not much money. I suspect they are just not interested. It's their right without having to be insulted.

Thats how I see it.

They said no to a business proposition.

Coming here and posting about it doesnt serve anyone well. But I understand the frustration.

If I bid on a job and someone doesnt want to pay me what I feel is fair I just move on. Its nothing personal. I have found that by pricing my work for a fair price the work I do get is quality work. If you low ball yourself people will not value your work.

As to the value a stream has for a venue doing a small event...I honestly do not see much of one. Outside of vanity and maybe convenience. Streaming audiences are so small and spread out its hard to show a real return to a room owner. Sure four hundred people may know he had an event but 395 of them live over a hundred miles away.

The Youtube archive angle is where the real value would be. There are lots of things that can be done with that would add value to a room owner. One thing that could add value is to shoot a simple 30 second spot on site for the room and give it to the owner to do with as he wants. Include it in the package price.

End of the day it all comes down to the same problem. A thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. In pool lots of people want good streaming or photography but very few are willing to pay for it.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am gong to less and less tournaments because hey there is streaming. Sitting in the comfort of your home vs standing on your tip toes to try to get a view of the table. No contest-Im staying home -free or PPV- it doesn't matter? A few exceptions for friend in final-perfect weather, but virtually any hassle and im stayin home.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I am gong to less and less tournaments because hey there is streaming. Sitting in the comfort of your home vs standing on your tip toes to try to get a view of the table. No contest-Im staying home -free or PPV- it doesn't matter? A few exceptions for friend in final-perfect weather, but virtually any hassle and im stayin home.

I can appreciate that though for me personally it applies more in other sports than pool. Until the tournament gets down to one or two tables there are too many matches going on that you don't get to see on a stream because they don't happen to be taking place on the stream table.

But your point made me think of something. I've yet to see the telecast of a streamed event played be through the TVs at the pool hall. If they did this, everyone in the place could relax in the lounge area or play at one of the open tables, and eat and drink (i.e. spend money) - and everyone in the house would have that good seat you are talking about. If I was a room owner this would be worth $75 to me.

Last edited: