Marine (and Pool Friend) Down. . . RIP John Ford

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
It is with sadness that I report a good pool friend, John Ford, has passed as a result of Covid-19.

John was an incredibly likable fellow and led a very interesting life. He was a proud US Marine and in his younger days was rated the number 16 Karate black belt in the USA. I last saw him just 2 weeks ago at our pool room here in CT. He was still using the stick I got for him last year.

Approx 5 years ago when my pal and then 88 yo NY Larry Gendler was being inducted into the New England HOF, John was featured in that news report which you can see at the following link. John begins at the 4 minute mark.

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/...tive/520-3131a000-01bf-4391-977a-ce3d2aae0446

It was a pleasure to have known John Ford.

here is his obit:

May he rest in peace.

Condolences to his family and many friends.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of the loss of one of Shooters players. My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of your friend's passing, KC. Lotta older fellas at Shooters!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sad to hear. The world of pool is always weakened by the loss of a valued member of its community.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your fine friend John.
May he rest in gentle peace forever.

Will Prout

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
my condolences brian on the loss of your friend
R.I.P. John Ford

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is with sadness that I report a good pool friend, John Ford, has passed as a result of Covid-19.

John was an incredibly likable fellow and led a very interesting life. He was a proud US Marine and in his younger days was rated the number 16 Karate black belt in the USA. I last saw him just 2 weeks ago at our pool room here in CT. He was still using the stick I got for him last year.

Approx 5 years ago when my pal and then 88 yo NY Larry Gendler was being inducted into the New England HOF, John was featured in that news report which you can see at the following link. John begins at the 4 minute mark.

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/...tive/520-3131a000-01bf-4391-977a-ce3d2aae0446

here is his obit:

May he rest in peace.

best,
brian kc
Sorry to hear the news. I lost a relative and a friend in December to the covid.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Thanks guys. John Ford was not a close friend to me but def a pool friend and we certainly played a bunch of times. He was an enthusiastic player always looking to improve (aren't we all).

Interesting thing, I just received a pm offering condolences from Dave Brainerd of Cues Directly and I haven't corresponded with him in a very long time but had to call him right away to let him know that the cue that I got for John to use was one of Dave's which John really enjoyed.

best,
brian kc

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. John Ford was not a close friend to me but def a pool friend and we certainly played a bunch of times. He was an enthusiastic player always looking to improve (aren't we all).

Interesting thing, I just received a pm offering condolences from Dave Brainerd of Cues Directly and I haven't corresponded with him in a very long time but had to call him right away to let him know that the cue that I got for John to use was one of Dave's which John really enjoyed.

best,
brian kc
So kind of you, was nice talking with you. Thanks for calling and call anytime.

One of the funniest lines I ever get to speak?

I am a nard, not a nerd, as in Brainard but it's pronounced as nerd, go figure. That's what they stuck me with.

Thanks again, Dave.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry Brian for your loss of a good friend. Sounds like a good guy like you. Good people collect good people for friends.
Stay safe buddy. B. F.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

here is his obit:

May he rest in peace.

best,
brian kc
So sorry to hear about it Brian. Taken too soon my friend!