Suggestions for leather wrap

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
I'm asking for suggestions for a new exotic leather wrap for a beautiful cocobolo plain jane. I have cues with full-belly lizard and elephant ear, as well as wrapless, linen, and leather. I was going to have elephant ear installed on the coco (I really like the ear wraps), but then I thought that - just for grins - I might try something else.

Has anyone used an exotic leather that they think is the best wrap ever? Shark, stingray, rhino scrotum, whatever? And how about a color other than black for the cocobolo. Any suggestions there? Pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Howard

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Rhino Scrotum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

You might want to give Kangaroo skin or Boar skin a try. As far as a color that compliments cocobolo I tend to like a lighter contrasting color. The problem with lighter colors like white is it shows dirt and wear really bad.

If its a player I would suggest a black, boar skin wrap.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
My suggestion is to contact Ryan (Rat Cues) at Mueller Recreation Products www.poolndarts.com and have him install you a brown/black stacked leather wrap. I haven't seen your cue, but I can imagine that this would look nice on yours!!!

Maniac

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
leather wrap

Elephant is hard to beat. It's exotic, it's extremely durable, and has a great feel to it. I don't think you'd like shark skin if you like the feel of elephant. Shark is very hard and due to it's nature, it's very 'sharp' and kind of rough. If you really really want to go exotic, I'd recommend Hippo. It's like the smoothest velvet you've ever felt. If I were a Sultan, I'd have pillows made of Hippo. Depending on the cue design,a smooth Italian calf skin is also very nice and soft.

I would also stick with a darker color. Maybe a warm dark brown to set off the cocobolo. And I highly recommend sending the cue to the installer so they can match the color/texture/finish to your cue better.

For something exotic, I would say talk to Kenny Koo (AKA Flyingsnail) here on AZ. He does great work and has the most choices I've ever seen. EVER!

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phillippi, Kenny Koo, Percy Exclusive,Koinnkid)

A black boars skin from Ricky Phillippi (Richard's Son.) Kenny has an Ocean and the jungle stuff. Percy Exclusive. And (Troy Koinnkid) sells lots of wraps.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Pork (Pig Skin) Wrap

Have you ever tried a pig skin wrap/ it is rather porous/ no slippage and has a medium tan look, real good for sweaty hands, just thought I would mention it, only ever saw but one..

David Harcrow

gh8st

Registered
Elephant is hard to beat. It's exotic, it's extremely durable, and has a great feel to it. I don't think you'd like shark skin if you like the feel of elephant. Shark is very hard and due to it's nature, it's very 'sharp' and kind of rough. If you really really want to go exotic, I'd recommend Hippo. It's like the smoothest velvet you've ever felt. If I were a Sultan, I'd have pillows made of Hippo. Depending on the cue design,a smooth Italian calf skin is also very nice and soft.

I would also stick with a darker color. Maybe a warm dark brown to set off the cocobolo. And I highly recommend sending the cue to the installer so they can match the color/texture/finish to your cue better.

For something exotic, I would say talk to Kenny Koo (AKA Flyingsnail) here on AZ. He does great work and has the most choices I've ever seen. EVER!

Do you have a picture of the hippo leather wrap?
Thanks
gh8st

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 424

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wraps

I'm asking for suggestions for a new exotic leather wrap for a beautiful cocobolo plain jane. I have cues with full-belly lizard and elephant ear, as well as wrapless, linen, and leather. I was going to have elephant ear installed on the coco (I really like the ear wraps), but then I thought that - just for grins - I might try something else.

Has anyone used an exotic leather that they think is the best wrap ever? Shark, stingray, rhino scrotum, whatever? And how about a color other than black for the cocobolo. Any suggestions there? Pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Howard
. Stacked leather is very functional and not too expensive. Although sometimes I think they just wrap it and call it stacked. Knives used to commonly have stacked wraps that were really just leather washers stacked together. Kangaroo is very tough stuff and would be my choice.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
. Kangaroo is very tough stuff and would be my choice.
I have a Bob Frey dark rosewood forearm and butt sleeved 4-pointer that I bought from Bamacues a while back.

It came with a very lightly textured black kangaroo skin wrap that was installed by Cory Barnhart.

It looks sharp and has a great feel to it. :thumbup:

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
I believe I recall someone saying that kangaroo was the softest leather that they have ever felt. Do a search on here and you may find the thread if you are interested.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I believe I recall someone saying that kangaroo was the softest leather that they have ever felt. Do a search on here and you may find the thread if you are interested.

Any leather conditioned with vaseline is wonderfully soft ;)

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Rhino scrotums are ok, altho they tend to get a little calloused from rubbing them on rocks. Just make sure you get the ones from the male rhino.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Two wraps I like

Both wraps can be had from Gill Castelleo that I like

Bull hide wrap, he calls it poor mans elephant
Shark Skin -- just got this done on a Scruggs I picked up. I really like the feel and the look of the wrap.

http://castilloleathergoods.com/

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I don't know how it would feel but for something different zebra with the hair.