Tim The Monk Miller has passed on.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the best news to have ...

First knew him in the mid ought's 2006 or so when I was getting back into pool after a decade or so.
Bought into his books and videos. Made sense, most of it, at first. After some time had passed the rest
sorta fell into place. I'm gonna miss his thoughts and the energy he imparted into his lessons.

R.I.P. Master Tim.

your humble apprentice, hank

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Tim watched me win a tourney in Colorado many years ago. Tim was in the area giving instruction to a friend and a fine player. He asked if he could hang out with us at the tourney and of course I said yes. RIP Mr. Miller.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Met him once at the BCA show. We actually met in the parking lot and talked for quite a while. I don't think he had a booth. He had a bunch of books in his car and gave me one he signed but would not take any money for it. I am pretty sure I still have it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I didn't know him well but liked him. Sad to learn of his passing. Condolences to his family and friends.

c-ball

Registered
Tim watched me win a tourney in Colorado many years ago. Tim was in the area giving instruction to a friend and a fine player. He asked if he could hang out with us at the tourney and of course I said yes. RIP Mr. Miller.
Back in the mid 2000's, he came and stayed with Samm and I in Denver and Vail. I remember him cracking me up, he had a very dry sense of humor...

I still use his books and tapes, I went so far as saving my tourney winnings when I was a teenager to buy the tapes and stuff. Still do many of the drills to this day, rip Monk!

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news, first pool book I ever read was I came to win. His book series and videos influenced the way I looked at pool. I feel like pool is a form of martial arts it has a spiritual component.
When it come to practice I Always say stack rocks until you don't realize your stacking rocks your stacking rocks because that's just what you do. This came from the monk.
Rip
And thank you for your contribution.
My heart goes out to friends and family

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Monk left his mark on our sport with his books and DVD's. We only talked on the phone a few times and via e-mail. I don't think we ever met in person. When Pool Wars came out we made a book trade and I still have the book he signed for me. Thanks Tim!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Annually, falls are reported by one-third of all people over the age of 65. Two-thirds of those who fall will do so again within six months. Falls are the leading cause of death from injury among people 65 and older. Approximately 9,500 deaths in older Americans are associated with falls each year. Me personally, I have fallen down two or three times in the last year. My neighbor across the street is same age as me, and she has fallen down five times in the past year, spraining her ankle, fracturing her finger, and damaging the lower disk on her back. She was a tennis pro in college and exercises every day. It has to do with speed of gait and limberness of muscles and tendons in old age as to why senior citizens fall.

RIP, Monk! You are loved and will be missed.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Annually, falls are reported by one-third of all people over the age of 65. Two-thirds of those who fall will do so again within six months. . . . It has to do with speed of gait and limberness of muscles and tendons in old age as to why senior citizens fall.
Jam: Love ya and your always well-reasoned and contributory writing, but I must helpfully add to your post a bit.

I'm waaay past 65 and want to add that most falls in the bathroom (and elsewhere in the home) have little to do with speed of gait and limberness of muscles -- but rather more important: the brain factors that govern elderly folks sense of balance, visual acuity, and spatial distances perception.

Quality physical therapists are excellent at prescribing, teaching, and monitoring exercises that effectively enhance and go a long way in correcting and aligning many of these brain/muscles factors so critical to balance, judgment, and self-protection against falling during daily life in aging folks. And of course there's an important role here for the several kinds of doctors that specialize in diagnosing and implementing vision correction.

Arnaldo

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Annually, falls are reported by one-third of all people over the age of 65. Two-thirds of those who fall will do so again within six months. Falls are the leading cause of death from injury among people 65 and older. Approximately 9,500 deaths in older Americans are associated with falls each year. Me personally, I have fallen down two or three times in the last year. My neighbor across the street is same age as me, and she has fallen down five times in the past year, spraining her ankle, fracturing her finger, and damaging the lower disk on her back. She was a tennis pro in college and exercises every day. It has to do with speed of gait and limberness of muscles and tendons in old age as to why senior citizens fall.

RIP, Monk! You are loved and will be missed.
Falls are no joke.

After my back operations my lower spine doesn’t have the range of motion it did. So my pelvis doesn’t shift my weight right to left & left to right as it should so falling is now part of my life. I have to go slow and think before I move.

Falling going up a couple stairs is easy. I never knew “falling up” was even a thing, believe me it is. Usually ends ok tho.

My legs in the past 3-4 years have lost 75% of their strength, like I’m 75 years old. It’s natural to lose them, but I’m 54. When I stand up I look 75-80 years old. That weakness with the back issues make falling a VERY real and common thing in my life.

Never dismiss falling as a trivial occurrence. It’s bad and in old people and in my case not so old it’s a common thing and must be monitored.

I didn’t ever meet or know Monk, I heard about him. RIP and my deepest sympathy to bins family, loved ones and friends.