Who's the best you ever played for the cash???

Hacker39

Registered
Not sure if this thread has been thrown about before. If not, let's do it.

Who's the best player you ever gambled with?

Mine has to be Corey Deuel. Just back into the game after a 15 year layoff. Got to be a solid B-B+ player before I quit. At the time, I played Corey, who was around 14. I was getting the 8-ball in a race to 9 for $350 playin 9-ball.

Set went hill-hill when I fired a jacked up 7-ball in with a duck 8-ball waiting. Only time he and I ever played.

Certainly don't think I could play him with 8 anymore...LOL

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Efren Reyes; race to 5; $100. I asked if he wanted any weight (seriously, I wanted to be able to say I offered) and he declined my offer. I made a couple of balls; but I think he let me have a couple of innings out of pity.

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
Melissa Little. She came through town, and I played her some cheap 10-ball sets, races to 7 I think. Broke even after 4 sets.

EDIT: Post 666 :eek:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a lot with Neptune Joe Frady from NJ.
Played in ring games with Jimmy Fusco and Hawaiian Brian.
And a long time ago played Joe Russo from Trenton.
And played a few good road players whose names escape me even if they told me their real names.
There might be some others but I've got 50 years of somewhat dim memories.
The best i ever played was an exhibition against Willie Mosconi. I got crushed. But i turned in a great job as his rack boy! :grin-square:

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a lot with Neptune Joe Frady from NJ.
Played in ring games with Jimmy Fusco and Hawaiian Brian.
And a long time ago played Joe Russo from Trenton.
And played a few good road players whose names escape me even if they told me their real names.
There might be some others but I've got 50 years of somewhat dim memories.
The best i ever played was an exhibition against Willie Mosconi. I got crushed. But i turned in a great job as his rack boy! :grin-square:

What happened to him?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The absolute best was Billy Johnson, aka Wade Crane. He came in my poolroom in Bakersfield in 1972 and I didn't know him. We played $50 9-Ball. I went downnnnn!!!

I've gambled with a few pretty fair country players - Danny D., Ronnie A., Jersey Red, NY Blackie, Ervolino, Larry Lisciotti, Jim Rempe, Richie Florence, Louie Roberts and Keith, to name a few. I've actually won a few of these match-ups, getting weight of course. :wink:

More recently I gambled with T-Rex (lost) and Archie the Greek (won). I also beat the fabled Artie from Chicago one game of Banks and he quit. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hacker39

Registered
The absolute best was Billy Johnson, aka Wade Crane. He came in my poolroom in Bakersfield in 1972 and I didn't know him. We played $50 9-Ball. I went downnnnn!!!

I've gambled with a few pretty fair country players - Danny D., Ronnie A., Jersey Red, NY Blackie, Ervolino, Larry Lisciotti, Jim Rempe, Richie Florence, Louie Roberts and Keith, to name a few. I've actually won a few of these match-ups, getting weight of course. :wink:

More recently I gambled with T-Rex (lost) and Archie the Greek (won). I also beat the fabled Artie from Chicago one game of Banks and he quit. :rolleyes:

Jay,

How good could Jersey play??? What was his temperament when you played him. I have read some about him and found him interesting. By the way, I just ordered your book. I'm looking forward to the read.

Hacker39

Registered
I hear that Joe Frady is still around, and comes by Sandcastle Billiards in Edison. I'm sure he goes to other rooms too.

I played McCready when he was 17, and won (with a big spot). Played the Miz a couple of years later, even, and lost.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I played Frady years back at a McDermott tour event. We played in the 1-hole event and he smoked me.

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
Well back in the day.....I use to match up pretty good. But there was this one kid....Blake...we called him blizzz. He was just good enough to keep my noise open. I never wanted to beat someone as much as blizzz.
I was pretty messed up back then and I'd been up for a few days. Blizzz busted me...I was maybe 18-19 I called my mom (my poor mom), I told her I had a great game (I was so jacked up) and I needed some money.
She could hear in my voice I was high. She made me a deal, she said she would come and give me $40 to play if I lost I had to go to her house. Of course I said "done". She came down Blake beat me in seconds...and my mom took me home (I was out of the her house by then) and she fed me told me to take a hot bath...and of course when I did as she asked...I was ready to get back to the pool room. However my mom figured as much and told me to lie down for a little while she was washing my clothes.
What a mom, she did see my life turn around before she passed away thankfully.

9bizzle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well back in the day.....I use to match up pretty good. But there was this one kid....Blake...we called him blizzz. He was just good enough to keep my noise open. I never wanted to beat someone as much as blizzz.
I was pretty messed up back then and I'd been up for a few days. Blizzz busted me...I was maybe 18-19 I called my mom (my poor mom), I told her I had a great game (I was so jacked up) and I needed some money.
She could hear in my voice I was high. She made me a deal, she said she would come and give me $40 to play if I lost I had to go to her house. Of course I said "done". She came down Blake beat me in seconds...and my mom took me home (I was out of the her house by then) and she fed me told me to take a hot bath...and of course when I did as she asked...I was ready to get back to the pool room. However my mom figured as much and told me to lie down for a little while she was washing my clothes.
What a mom, she did see my life turn around before she passed away thankfully.

Wow Robin, I didn't realize that you had those problems in your past. Thank God you overcame it. I hate to see peoples lives get messed up from drugs or alcohol because it is so hard for them to out of it. It's hard on the loved ones too. My dad is an alcoholic and it kills me.
My kids love your son by the way, and I must admit I've gotten a laugh at his show too.

9bizzle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best I've played was J.Kirkwood. $5 a game at my house, but I viewed it as a donation to the J. Kirkwood pocket fund. I did get a picture of him racking the first game though.:grin-devilish:

robleyf7

AZB Horse 2016
Silver Member
Best i have Gambled with is Gary Abood he gave me 7 an last 4 on bar box race to 5 for cheap

in Tournament few years ago i played hill billy in finals 8ball i allmost dbl diped him but he won

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I have been very lucky in life, and had a chance to hit the balls with just about every top pro out there...I think that everyone of them is very gifted, and very lucky. I could sit here, and try to disect everyone of their games. I could say this guy is better because...

What I have noticed in the last ten years of going to shows, and playing in tourneys is that any given sunday is also in cuesports...Everyone that plays in these tourney's can play very well...

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Wade to death !

And not trying to knock jis game one bit...I've run the roads with Wade for years on the later part his career...but it's sad what age does to a non pinoy rotation player...have heard so many stories on how Wade's game use to be but sadly the years i spent with him was a few balls off his prime..which was still better than 85% out there...Wade is still a great person & player...Can't say the same about alot of the players out there.

poolist

Registered
Who was the best I ever played

I played John Schmidt a few games of 8 ball and beat him even, but I had to work at it. Oh yeah, forgot to say, he had only been playing a couple of weeks at that time. Years later I played him some one pocket, never had a chance, "me that is."

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
! cof the best players i didn't play !

Not sure if this thread has been thrown about before. If not, let's do it.

Who's the best player you ever gambled with?

Mine has to be Corey Deuel. Just back into the game after a 15 year layoff. Got to be a solid B-B+ player before I quit. At the time, I played Corey, who was around 14. I was getting the 8-ball in a race to 9 for $350 playin 9-ball.

Set went hill-hill when I fired a jacked up 7-ball in with a duck 8-ball waiting. Only time he and I ever played.

Certainly don't think I could play him with 8 anymore...LOL

Was Jack Hynes...Years back when i Was considered 1 of our lil towns better player I had a lil rest & lounge that I ran for a few years then started leasing it out...The guy I was leasing it to at the time called me & aske wut i was doing that he has been playing this guy all afternoon for $5 a game & wuz down like $60 dollars & wuz sure that I could eat him & wanted to stake me...I said ok...just give me bout a hour & a half...I finally showed up & the look on Jack's face was priceless..When the door opened he had this look like a kid on Christmas but when he saw who it wux his jaw liked to hit the ground...since I'd went a few days earlier to get him from New Orleans & he was in Houma on the downlow..just hustin the stripclubs & not drawing attention to himself...Was a REAL lesson for the guy Lane that was leasing from me cuz Jack Had laid it down Soooooo good.:p

Jayson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played Dee Adkins last week for cheap. Race to 13 for 300 i was getting the last 4 and lost 13-10. I was pretty happy with that considering he's not playin his normal speed right now. When he gets back on his feet I'll probably need a good bit more. Still fun playin some with such a great player, also a cool ass guy.