Why Shanelle should be given a chance?

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a previous thread about Shanelle created some bit of controversy about her getting much attention, sponsorship deals because of her looks.

most, if not all of those who reacted not in favor of this and seems unfair to them are females. some say she shouldn't be getting such deals because is not a top 10 player. that she's all about looks and nothing else. that Karen Corr should be given a sponsorship deal rather than her.

Since when did pool sponsorship became an instant privilege to a top player or an exclusive club for professionals only? lemme remind you that pool is not only a professional game/sport, it is also a recreational game/sport where everybody is entitled to play, improve, enjoy and get the benefits from it. you don't have to be a great player to endorse a product. in fact, even the first lady can endorse pool if only George would allow her.

the only fault that these jealous people see is Shanelle being a gorgeous woman who plays mediocre pool. again, pool is for everybody and enjoy the benefits that comes from it. why blame the player for being approachable? it's good for pool and at the same time, good for business. even if Shanelle is not yet on that level, and may fall short of that expectation, she serves her purpose of promoting the game, and at the same time, enjoy the game.

wouldn't it be beneficial and good to see a lot of goodlooking people begin to come, see and play pool, aside from the regular rodeo men and women that are behaving like men?

Last edited:

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn,t Shanelle, be a great spokenperson for APA! Where the BudLight!

George Strait.jpg

No. This one!!!!

20080303182021-2618280796.jpg

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I say give the girl a chance. Just because she's attractive and not yet a top player, I wouldn't hold that against her. She obviously enjoys pool and wants to be a player. And she may well be a very nice person. I think it is grossly unfair to come down on her just because she has attracted some sponsorship. She may end up being a shot in the arm for pool. I remember when Jeanette first came along. I thought who is this chick making all the big fuss. She only turned out to be the most famous pool player in the world! And a damn good representative of our sport.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I say give the girl a chance. Just because she's attractive and not yet a top player, I wouldn't hold that against her. She obviously enjoys pool and wants to be a player. And she may well be a very nice person. I think it is grossly unfair to come down on her just because she has attracted some sponsorship. She may end up being a shot in the arm for pool. I remember when Jeanette first came along. I thought who is this chick making all the big fuss. She only turned out to be the most famous pool player in the world! And a damn good representative of our sport.
Well said Jay,I think if she could get the skill to eventually get on TV ratings would go up for sure. :thumbup:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I didn't think the other thread was for or against Shanelle. I thought it was more about the principle of looks/sex being more important when promoting pool equipment.

In a perfect world people would respond to a player with top flight skills promoting a product before they would a player with physical beauty.

I don't think it was about the person, but about the principle.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
JimS said:
I didn't think the other thread was for or against Shanelle. I thought it was more about the principle of looks/sex being more important when promoting pool equipment.

In a perfect world people would respond to a player with top flight skills promoting a product before they would a player with physical beauty.

That may well be Jim, but the unfair part was that nearly everything negative in that thread references Shanelle. My point was, why dump on her?

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimS said:

Read sweet marissa's posts. There pretty nasty towards her lol.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this issue has reminded me of what my wife had told me previously. my wife is still a D player but on her way to becoming a C player. inspite of limited playing opportunities (2-3 times a month) and only a few months of playing "serious pool", she has improved quickly. I'd say that she could kick ass of a regular male banger on a Saturday night.

so where did my wife fit Shanelle's case? my wife is pretty and dresses pretty much nicely like she's attending a party or a prom. she get the men's attention upon entering and gets even more attention when she's playing at the table.

she pities gorgeous women who are just sitting around the corner looking silly, while their boyfriends play pool. she said that women shouldn't be treated as mere decorations especially the pretty type in pool halls but should be given attention and encouraged by playing pool. it doesn't matter if they are just beginners as long as they develop a knack or interest for the game.

the point that my wife was trying to make is that a novice gorgeous woman should be given a chance to play and benefit from it. meaning, it is better for Shanelle to end up playing pool rather than being a model gf sitting on one corner doing nothing. Shanelle loves and plays pool, and that's good news. ultimately, Shanelle is a gorgeous woman who plays pool, that's why she got sponsors. so to those who envy her and believe they are better than her, better start dialing those numbers for some make-over if you want to get some sponsorships. because it would take more than just skill to get the general audience's attention. it's not all about being good at pool but delivering the goods (ratings) as well, if you want to get sponsorships. still think it's unfair?

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Advertising Law #1 SEX SELLS product. The advertisers are trying to sell their products and if pool benefits that would be okay too I'm not suggesting this is right all I'm saying is this is the way it is.

The WPBT recently had professional glamour shots made of all their players and I have to say they look great.

All this publicity can only help pool. The ability of the player is secondary. Just look at Minnesota Fats. More people knew of him than all the rest of the players combined.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Kournikova comes to mind, she got all sorts of press for a while without ever winning an event. Got sponsorships and everything probably because she was the first really attractive tennis player to hit the court.

Now Sharapova (a realy champion) took over the scene and where is Kournikova? My guess is that Shanelle with either prove her worth or fade into the sunset, either way she probably worked hard to get where she is already.

kcpoolfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
karen looks just as good as her in those outfits she wears and is a top 3 player...so why no sponsorships for karen?

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that if Shanelle was merely an unknown model (not really into pool) who is advertising and promoting cues, she won't get all these bashing. the reason for all this criticisms is because she plays. I believe that is pretty discouraging the person and pretty stereo-typed. pool is not an exclusive club, nor does advertising pool products are reserved for the great players. people should be glad that someone like Shanelle who promotes pool equiptment; is an authentic pool player and not just a hired model pretending to play pool.

some here believe that she shouldn't endorse these products because she hasn't earned them. well do you think that those models endorsing those other products earned them? how come I dont hear any complaints about them? endorsement, sponsorships and promotional deals are not rights reserved, but more of a privilege.

I'm pretty sure Shanelle earned it by virtue of being a player and not just a mere face. that is just. be glad that she plays pool and has an interest for it.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can only think of two reasons!!! Marissa are you out there? J/K and having some fun..... She is working the girls pretty much though, but that is nothing new it's been done forever. If you go back in time Eva did a cover for, I think it was Time magazine, and it brought MAJOR attention to women's pool.
Dan

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fart sniffer said:
Kournikova comes to mind, she got all sorts of press for a while without ever winning an event. Got sponsorships and everything probably because she was the first really attractive tennis player to hit the court.

Now Sharapova (a realy champion) took over the scene and where is Kournikova? My guess is that Shanelle with either prove her worth or fade into the sunset, either way she probably worked hard to get where she is already.
Yeah....winning two grand-slam doubles events pretty much means you suck at your sport. :rolleyes:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Shanelle is going to get attention for obvious reasons. 15 years ago, I remember Jeanette Lee getting the same kind of attention. The difference was that Jeanette's attitude and demeanor were combined with world class skill.

Does Shanelle need to have top flight skill to do what she is doing? Not really. She is very marketable and she brings attention to the game with her looks.

However, this is what concerns me - and this is not a jab at Shanelle at all - but sooner or later her skill level will come into question as she gets more and more attention.

She lives here in in the Orlando, Florida area. So does Debbie Shjodt, Jessica Barnes, Jeannie Seaver, Sarah Ellerby, Nikki Rasmussen, Miyuki Sakai splits her time between here and Japan - I haven't seen her in a while - but she is a great player - not too far down the road on the Spacecoast we have Shanna Lewis, Tracey McCreary (PoolHallMaven) and Michelle Monk.

All of the players I just mentioned are local - they are all very marketable and beautiful women. These ladies compete in the regional tours on a regular basis (Ladies Spirit Tour, KBP, BAAT)... To my knowledge, Shanelle has not competed on the Ladies Spirit Tour, KBP, or Bay Area Amateur Tour. She should be competing on these tours, and not just competing in Korea.

Myself, I would much rather see the stronger players get the attention that Shanelle is receiving. I know most of the women I just mentioned - all of them work their asses off to play their best in competition.

I am not sure what Shanelle has done, I heard that she beat Jeanette Lee in a short race to 5 over in Korea. Obviously she has some talent, but I am not sure why she is not competing on the regional tours.

I am currently looking to sponsor a local player on the regional tours in 2009 - which means I will pay their entry fees and provide free coaching, etc. Shanelle's name isn't on my list of candidates. Once again, this is not a jab at Shanelle, I am just saying that the other ladies that I mentioned in the above paragraphs are solid, fierce, battle tested players. The only time I have seen Shanelle play was at the 2007 World 10 Ball in Jacksonville, Florida - I remember what she wore more than how she played. She could have ran 10 racks and out, and I wouldn't have noticed because I was staring at what everybody else was staring at.

The questions about why she is getting all of this attention (while she isn't playing on the Florida regional tours/WPBA) will continue to follow her - and IMO it damages her more than it helps her.

I hope that at some point she gets the proper career guidance so that she can ride this wave for as long as possible. As it stands right now, she is being marketed for all of the wrong reasons (JMO).

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I think at least half the reason people are on her case is that she plays for CW and DP. I know two people that have met her and both said she was nice, polite, and fun to be around.

She has been playing now for at least 8 years with some of the best coaches and players teaching her. I hear she is only a C player in 9-ball at best. I have also heard that she plays carom/3 cushion well...about a B player. Like someone already on here, if she doesn't get better real quick she will just fade away in the world of billiards. JMO. Johnnyt

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan...It was the cover of the New York Times Magazine; not TIME Magazine. Still impressive, but nowhere near the same exposure. At the same time Ewa made several high profile t.v. appearances, that brought a lot of publicity to the WPBA back then.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

quedup said:
I can only think of two reasons!!! Marissa are you out there? J/K and having some fun..... She is working the girls pretty much though, but that is nothing new it's been done forever. If you go back in time Eva did a cover for, I think it was Time magazine, and it brought MAJOR attention to women's pool.
Dan

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
ScottR said:
Yeah....winning two grand-slam doubles events pretty much means you suck at your sport. :rolleyes:

Ask yourself, was that before or after she came into the scene with a big splash. That is what I was saying, if she is the real deal time will tell and she will stay in the spotlight but we shouldn't pigeonhole her just because she is good looking.