can't get a refund [long rant warning!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Titlist Conversion had been advertised on AZB; I contacted the seller by PM, we agreed on a price, and I sent a cashier’s check for the full amount to him by Fedex.
Four days after my check arrives, I called to find out what was going on. [He didn’t call me to say it got there as I asked him to do.] He tells me that the cue would ship the next day. The next day I got a message to call, “there’s a problem.” I called, was told that “when he was fitting the shafts to the cue” the pin came out, and when he tried to glue it back in, the cue cracked, glue was coming out through the wood, and that he wouldn’t sell it to me that way. I say fine, send me back my money.
Well, there’s a problem with that, too. He CAN”T. He “already spent my money on supplies”, so I need to wait for "a couple of weeks," until he gets some money he can send to me. Understand, this is $1235, not the price of a Bushka. When I suggest to him that this is BS, and that I really don’t understand why he only found out there was a problem the day he was supposed to ship the cue, and that I consider this to be a fraudulent way to do business, he gets all self righteous and he tells me that he’s an honest guy. I say, ok, but why were you just fitting the shafts to a cue you advertised on your website and AZB with very specific descriptions of the shafts for the cue? And an honest guy would refund my money. I tell him that until he pays me back , he should hold onto the righteousness and STFU. Here’s his response:
Feel free to do what you need to do to make yourself feel better about this! Like I said before I have been honest with you about what had happened here. You want to talk about being self righteous, if you would get you head out of you ass long enough to see that this was an accident! It wasnt done on purpose! Like I said, you do what you need to do! Oh yea Bill I will never STFU!

Meantime, this same “gentleman” continues to advertise his cues on AZB. I contacted a couple of cuemakers I know and shared the story, and both of them expressed concern that this was only discovered the day of shipping, and it’s obviously a problem if this guy’s last $1K is really my money. So just send me back my money, OK? Nope, and you’ve got your head up your ass if you don't just accept the fact that I took your money and won't give it back until later. This is one crappy way to do business, and I guess we should all be aware that in this tough economy people forget about business ethics, never mind 'the customer is always right." I do not want anyone else to have to deal with this BS, and I would be concerned that a business that operated this close to the bone might go belly up and leave a lot of other people screwed.
so come on down,Doug Patrick of Patrick's Custom Cues, Granite City, Illinois, and explain why my head is up my ass when my foot should be up yours.

Last edited:

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
A Titlist Conversion had been advertised on AZB; I contacted the seller by PM, we agreed on a price, and I sent a cashier’s check for the full amount to him by Fedex.
Four days after my check arrives, I called to find out what was going on. [He didn’t call me to say it got there as I asked him to do.] He tells me that the cue would ship the next day. The next day I got a message to call, “there’s a problem.” I called, was told that “when he was fitting the shafts to the cue” the pin came out, and when he tried to glue it back in, the cue cracked, glue was coming out through the wood, and that he wouldn’t sell it to me that way. I say fine, send me back my money.
Well, there’s a problem with that, too. He CAN”T. He “already spent my money on supplies”, so I need to wait for "a couple of weeks," until he gets some money he can send to me. Understand, this is $1235, not the price of a Bushka. When I suggest to him that this is BS, and that I really don’t understand why he only found out there was a problem the day he was supposed to ship the cue, and that I consider this to be a fraudulent way to do business, he gets all self righteous and he tells me that he’s an honest guy. I say, ok, but why were you just fitting the shafts to a cue you advertised on your website and AZB with very specific descriptions of the shafts for the cue? And an honest guy would refund my money. I tell him that until he pays me back , he should hold onto the righteousness and STFU. Here’s his response:
Feel free to do what you need to do to make yourself feel better about this! Like I said before I have been honest with you about what had happened here. You want to talk about being self righteous, if you would get you head out of you ass long enough to see that this was an accident! It wasnt done on purpose! Like I said, you do what you need to do! Oh yea Bill I will never STFU!

Meantime, this same “gentleman” continues to advertise his cues on AZB. I contacted a couple of cuemakers I know and shared the story, and both of them expressed concern that this was only discovered the day of shipping, and it’s obviously a problem if this guy’s last $1K is really my money. So just send me back my money, OK? Nope, and you’ve got your head up your ass if you don't just accept the fact that I took your money and won't give it back until later. This is one crappy way to do business, and I guess we should all be aware that in this tough economy people forget about business ethics, never mind 'the customer is always right." I do not want anyone else to have to deal with this BS, and I would be concerned that a business that operated this close to the bone might go belly up and leave a lot of other people screwed.
so come on down,mystery cuemaker, and explain why my head is up my ass when my foot should be up yours.
We need a screen name here for it to work. Who was the seller?

Oh yeah, FIRST!

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
We need to know who this is so noone else gets screwed. I bet the cue is in mint condition. Secondly, I would start small claims proceeds, because you paid by check, I think that is the only way you can get your money back. Third, talk to the Postal Service and file a mail fraud claim, they should roast his ass for you good.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
No kidding! It's bad enough that this kind of stuff happens at all, but you've got to tell us who it is... ESPECIALLY IF HE"S STILL SELLING CUES ON HERE. I sure as hell don't want to be the next victim. Believe me, I know that things happen beyond our control sometimes,but I'm not sure I'm buying it. Hell send me 1/2 now and the other 1/2 later(with interest of course). MAKE AN ATTEMPT! I've never understood people's reluctance to give up a name when something like this happens. It's probably rooted in the idea that if they do, there's NO WAY they're going to get what's coming to them. But at least you can help keep it from happening to other unsuspecting buyers. I SAY OUT THE BASTARD :D

edit: WOW did not expect it to be that guy. Hopefully it will all work out. That's a lot of clams...

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need a commitment from him as to when you shall receive all your $ back.

If the deadline passes without reciept of the refund, all options are yours.

It sucks, but you are obviously gonna have to work with him on this.

It has been said before: Escrow, Escrow, Escrow.

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW. I won't be buying anything from Patrick's Custom Cues.

Glen

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuemaker

why so many are asking for his name when it looks like you mentioned it in your last paragraph.....(Patrick's Custom Cues?)

saddlebow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you're right

you're right about the escrow; I have done thousands of dollars of deals with people on here, and never had a problem before. I used to worry about private party sales, but not about doing business with a cuemaker who advertises on here. At least he was right about one thing; I DID have my head up my A$$ when I decided to do business with him!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why so many are asking for his name when it looks like you mentioned it in your last paragraph.....(Patrick's Custom Cues?)

That was added later.

It is a disgustipating situation no matter how you look at it. VERY sorry to hear of your difficulties, Saddlebow.

I believe there are others here who have had issues with Patrick Cues before, not positive though.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Money should never have been spent in advance of customer satisfaction. There is no excuse for it.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Doug is a nice guy and one of the good guys. If his money is tied up in other things and can't refund you as quickly as you paid him I really do see your problem. Perhaps tell him the juice is running, maybe suggest he send a sneaky pete or something cheap when the refund money is available. Maybe tell him he owes you some cue work going forward(he does do good work and you should check this thread out http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=156346) I don't know I feel for you I really do. His cues play relaly well too, it's gonna be ashame if this ruins his rep here.

My hope is that you two resolve this issue amicably and reach an understanding. I am on your side that you indeed be refunded more than $1235 if over 10 business days of request of refund. Do yourself a favor and formally request a refund by certified mail that is notarized(sorry will cost you $20 more). Call Doug and chat with him though and ask to make it right, maybe have something realistic in mind like $1300 or so instead for the hassle.

I also will ask that when you two do speak again and come up with a solution you update this thread with a post of the agreed terms and also when it is completed. You're clearly a good buyer since you paid, Doug hass been a good seller in the high majority of instances and this is his livelihood we are talking about here. Keep us all posted and good luck in finding the resolution.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Patrick's Custom Cues and Doug Patrick's reputation is sinking fast, never to be righted. You sold your reputation for $1,200. Good luck in your next line of work! :(

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just offering a view from another perspective...

Businesses will often not refund your money for a couple weeks. I put down 500 on a new car once, and the dealer could not get the car till 3 weeks after the promised delivery date. I said no way, and i'll go elsewhere. Give me my deposit back. they said the refund would have to come from the main office and it would take 2 weeks.

This is an example of a billion dollar company (toyota), and their dealer network not being able to give me a 500 refund for 2 weeks.

Just saying it may be more common that way with bigger businesses than our pool businesses that are usually cash based and word of mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.