Challenge matches from Galveston

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm done watching the challenge matches from Galveston. I just saw the worst exhibition of one pocket. No more challenge matches for me. I will continue to watch tournament play but no more challenge matches where it's chopped up what looks to be 50/50. I'm talking about the Scott and Gabe one pocket. I put things aside tonight to see this match and was disappointed. Any Comments?

Frank,

I posted my thoughts on One Pocket.org. They are similar to yours.

http://onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=30798&postcount=16

Dick

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
As a viewer, we got what we paid for. And I don't believe the # of viewers that the stream is touting. Go to InsidePool forums sometime and see how many 'members' they have logged in. I would be just as sure that the match last night was a chop that I am that JR Calvert is adding to his viewership on the stream.

And that is why I bet on Scott - with a no safety, no grind one pocket he was the obvious favorite.

I consider Scott and Gabe friends but with the long days of this tournament they were victims of human nature. I am not upset at all at what I watched and will watch these two again.

It is nice that Taylor Productions is putting forth such nice appearance fee money for these exhibitions. But they would have been better off either adding it to the tournament prize pool or putting out a free food buffet each night for all the players.

Or they should have promoted SVB vs the world and had him play a different opponent each night from a different country. SVB doesn't get tired and is a machine.

so you would scoff at putting forth 100% effort for $2000 each for a few hours of work? And, by the way, that is what it was WORK. However you slice it, those two were paid to work for Taylor Road Productions putting on an exhibition for the fans. Their work performance was very substandard.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
the races to 3's were tournament matches. The other challenge matches, which were 10-ball, were races to 15. I have no idea why the match was delayed. It was an amateur move by whomever is putting on the streams to keep everyone in the dark as to the match time. Everyone went by the initial posting of 9 Eastern/8 Central and tuned in expecting pool.

I also don't know why the prize money got dropped, but a free $4000 is a free $4000. I know if someone was offering me $2000 for a few hours of work, you can bet your sweet ass that I'm gonna work my ass off for those few hours and maybe they'll ask me to work again.

I think they dropped the prize $ when they reduced the race to 5. It had been a race to 6, but due to the late start time and long day of paly, it was changed (how that went down, I dunno).

Dropping the $5k to $4k, I wonder if that was another element in the lackluster play...

KK9 <-- disappointed by billiard shenanigans

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
No I didn't expect that junk, I had a guy out here text me and say dont worry about our bet that was terrible. I'm gonna pay Uwate and Lenny today cuz I'm not giving out free rolls for other matches. For me personally I'm like Vette, I wanted to cancel so I didnt want to get paid for that, a coin flip would have had better odds. I keep a personal good action list in my head, when a game isn't being played right and guys arent doing any moving in a one hole match that's no ones fault besides the players.

You guys are comparing it to preseason football, I'd compare it to playing poker all in every hand no matter what you are dealt. I didn't lose too much in this thing but I do have sour grapes and am back to only betting with people I can call on the phone, screw a good action list.

TAP TAP TAP. i also tried to cancel at 2-2 through pms and on the chat. both people i was betting with said they watched the entire match, but didn't see the chat or the pms, lol. i would not have expected to get paid after my pms if gabe had won, but that's just me. not to mention, the PLAYERS decided to change the format from a race to 5 instead of 6..wtf??? i will probably only bet with a very select few from here on out.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so you would scoff at putting forth 100% effort for $2000 each for a few hours of work? And, by the way, that is what it was WORK. However you slice it, those two were paid to work for Taylor Road Productions putting on an exhibition for the fans. Their work performance was very substandard.

I wish I could play with balls for work. Pool balls, I mean.

While they were paid for doing something, I feel it barely qualifies as 'work' and that they need to realize that they are friggin lucky as hell to be able to be paid for playing a game.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'm sure that promoters, sponsors, and PPV buyers and fans will think twice before they put any money or their name on anything that either of these two players are in. I know I won't buy PPV, or any product that sponsors them in the future. If I were the event that put up the money for this joke I'd not pay them. I'd say get a lawyer and sue me for it. I'm sure there would be enough experts to testify that it was a dump w/o question. If this game is every going to go anywhere players that do this sort of thing need to be black balled from events and hit in their wallet so they get the point. Johnnyt

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lifted from 1P.org...

The Taylor Road bunch surely needs to re-evaluate their generous donations to almost ANY two player's in an exhibition type format. Their heart is in the right place, but.......!

They appear to be a little bit naive in thinking they will ever get very much different, (than what they got last night) from two good friends. (even though they certainly deserved a little more effort at a good match, for their cash.)

Saver's are common, but if two player's are just going to split the $$$$ down the middle, (and maybe bet breakfast on the side)...chances are...you will get what we saw last night.

Just a thought...enough marque match-ups will occur, during the course of a tournament.
ANY two player's will give it their best shot, to keep from getting knocked out of the tournament, even if they are brothers.

Rather than burn up $$$$, with meaningless "Exhibition Matches"...why not offer a bonus, (or spiff) of (?) K $$$, on some of these match-up's ? Then, even if the player's agree to save (or split) the bonus $$$$....It would almost guarantee a little extra effort, and a good show for the fans.

Also, as an added bonus for the fan's,..... "intelligent" side wagers could be made on the match.

Theres nothing wrong with being friends, but friends or not...does anyone believe we saw the game we would have seen, If Scott and Gabe were on the one loss side...fighting for their tournament life.... JMHO

Dick

PS A Shmidt/Harriman match, may be the only "exhibition" game out there...that would almost guarantee a true "winner take all" event..

swrooster

A HOTDOG ROAD PLAYER!!
Silver Member
No concept of a big picture whatsoever. I'm a commercial contractor and am zealous to offer good service, product and effort to the paying customer. I care enough to be concerned that the customer gets a good bang for the buck when they invest for my services so that they will reuse me when needed or give me a good referal. I also give a warranty and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. These guys are independant contractors and in my opinion owe Taylor Road some future services or a refund. I enjoyed Joey and Nick's comments, but hell, I've watched Gabe and Scott numerous times and watching that match made me think I could play one pocket.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
If a player puts up his own entry fee like the Ring games at the Derby I dont think a saver or a chop is out of line between the last 2. Its done in poker all the time. But I also believe an honest fight for the belt should be made.
If a promoter puts up all the money its naive to think that players wont make a deal. So Promoters are just going to have to think of creative ways to make Challenge matches work. Maybe having 2 sponsors put up some money for their horse. Players having to represent their sponsors are going to have to excel or lose their patronage.
By the way I believe SVB's refusal to chop the Derby was a little more complex. There was some principles involved that went above and beyond chopping between players.

have them play for exemtions and travel packages !

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PS A Shmidt/Harriman match, may be the only "exhibition" game out there...that would almost guarantee a true "winner take all" event..

Absolutely correct because as we all know, John Schmidt "would rather be eaten by a goat and s**t off the side of a cliff than put $2 in [Danny's] pocket."

That statement is always great no matter how many times I see it.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I was here in Galveston, left the tournament room before the match started, and slept through it so I missed seeing the display. If it is as bad as everyone says and judging by who is saying it was bad I believe it was, then it is a damn shame.

But you know what? That is what happens when people don't know what they are doing. That is not a knock or an insult to the promoters it is simply the truth. These promoters are getting a PHD in the pool business the hard way and they are paying Ivy League tuition for it. Hopefully it doesn't scare them off. Anyone who can fade this and keep going is someone who could be good for the game.

The other thing is that I don't think anyone made clear to Scott and Gabe just what this really meant besides a payday to them. I doubt there was any malice in their hearts they honestly probably just felt "Well lets go out there and knock them around" never even thinking about what the reaction would be. It is short sighted as hell and not very smart but the fact remains that they have never been put in that spot before so they probably figured that they just got a roll for once. Without seeing it myself I can't say for sure. Maybe it was just a bunch of bullsh!t. That wouldn't shock me either. Not much does anymore.

These guys play pool well, no one accused them of being long term strategic planners, and they really don't have to be. What is needed is someone to make clear to them that when you get an opportunity you maximize it. Something that has proven difficult to impossible in pro pool in U.S.....and the hits keep on spinning.

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
+1 JCIN

and after actually watching the first few games on ustream I want to repeat what I said... lol, pool players are smart.

another one of the reasons pool has no money in it.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Any pros care to weigh in?

Danny had some words for the chat room last night as people were posting up "CHOP CHOP" "WTF was that shot?" "HUMPTY DUMPTY"...

He said something like "The guys in chat talking negatively @ this match should use the energy differently. I never worry about where the money is coming from..."

I replied in chat: "Danny, we're trying to figure out what the players' motivation is here." There was no reply, perhaps he didn't see it - the chat was moving rapidly. I left soon thereafter in the 4th game to watch Top Chef Masters. :sigh:

I would expect a player to side with a player, and as Danny was in the booth, expect him to protect the integrity of the production.

I hope Danny, or other pros that post here, will weigh in on this. But I don't expect much, as doing so may be a double edged sword in the short run. :sad:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I was here in Galveston, left the tournament room before the match started, and slept through it so I missed seeing the display. If it is as bad as everyone says and judging by who is saying it was bad I believe it was, then it is a damn shame.

But you know what? That is what happens when people don't know what they are doing. That is not a knock or an insult to the promoters it is simply the truth. These promoters are getting a PHD in the pool business the hard way and they are paying Ivy League tuition for it. Hopefully it doesn't scare them off. Anyone who can fade this and keep going is someone who could be good for the game.

The other thing is that I don't think anyone made clear to Scott and Gabe just what this really meant besides a payday to them. I doubt there was any malice in their hearts they honestly probably just felt "Well lets go out there and knock them around" never even thinking about what the reaction would be. It is short sighted as hell and not very smart but the fact remains that they have never been put in that spot before so they probably figured that they just got a roll for once. Without seeing it myself I can't say for sure. Maybe it was just a bunch of bullsh!t. That wouldn't shock me either. Not much does anymore.

These guys play pool well, no one accused them of being long term strategic planners, and they really don't have to be. What is needed is someone to make clear to them that when you get an opportunity you maximize it. Something that has proven difficult to impossible in pro pool in U.S.....and the hits keep on spinning.

It won't let me rep you but I sure wanted to. Time to go focus on something else for me as I am at wits end with this crap. It's like they say...you never really know until you know...well now I know.

bill-zilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ironman,I watch the matches on a 42 in flat screen and I don't ever get involved in the chat room,and I don't check my p.m.s during a match.I read your post and others before I went to work this morning but I did not have time to respond.I over slept and type slow and I was late as it was.I work for a living so before you knock people give them a chance to respond.I agree it was bull shi.,. SO BET VOIDED.Bill

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Here is the problem with the promoters logic on these challenge matches... It's the exact same as the ESPN Tournament of Champions thing years ago. That was winner takes all, the casion was taking bets on the match, and a group of the players banded together and bet on the underdog/heavy odds to win. They dumped it off to the underdog (Lebron) and had a really nice pay day.

Galveston is a smaller payday but lets say that before the match the two players say "Hey, lets split the challenge money, get as many big bets as we can on the favorite and dump it off to the underdog and split that!". My guess is that last night they didn't get many bets on the side either way and got pissed and played speed pool. Don't know that for a fact but that is what makes sense to me....

Saw<----- Been to a few worlds fairs and seen a few buzzard f**king contests.....

Last edited:

TulsaRose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering. If there are complaints of Gabe and Scott's "unprofessionalism", it can be said the same for whoever put on the Galveston World Classic. Why didn't they get some professional streamers to do the job, someone like BigTruck (or at least get consultation)? Why did they repeat over and over and over the same match yesterday? Their organization of the event sucked sometimes. There were many complaints about that. For example, why did they keep the viewers in the dark so much about what was coming up?

I used to promote country music benefit shows. The very first show you had to be professional. You had to have professional sound technicians for promoting the type of shows we did out of Nashville and Branson. At our VERY FIRST SHOW we ever promoted on our own we used John McBride (Tina McBride's husband) when he was in Wichita at the time and then when he left for Nashville, we obtained the services of another professional sound technician. We also used professional performers from Nashville and Branson.

Believe me, if we had put up some tiny amps in the auditoriums for the performers, and did an unprofessional job at promoting, we would never be able to book them again.

In other words, this tournament brought in the best players in the world -- too bad the promoters didn't have the forsight to use some professionals in the field that knew how to put on a major production such as this.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Ironman,I watch the matches on a 42 in flat screen and I don't ever get involved in the chat room,and I don't check my p.m.s during a match.I read your post and others before I went to work this morning but I did not have time to respond.I over slept and type slow and I was late as it was.I work for a living so before you knock people give them a chance to respond.I agree it was bull shi.,. SO BET VOIDED.Bill

Integrity or Stupidity??? I go with integrity...kudos to you for being a stand up guy!

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member

My thoughts are about the same. It just amazes me that any 2 legit pros, not just Scott and Gabe, would be shortsighted enough to not realize how bad of a decision it is to play slapass. This mentality amazes me and these 2 are not dumbasses. I know both of them and neither are mentally deficient so I just can't see how they rationalized playing this way.

I do not claim to know the "end-game" that TRP is looking for with these exhibitions, but I do know that nothing is free. If they put these on with the intent on marketing them as DVD's they just booked a big fat loser on this one. And if that is the case, the other prospective participants may have booked a big loser as well.

But hey........they collected 2k, right?

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member

i publicly apologize if i knocked you. that wasn't my intention. 99% of everyone that saw that so-called match last night has said the same thing (no matter who they bet on)...it wasn't pool at all. i do feel i made a legitimate effort to cancel my bets when it was early and tied at 2-2. i hope that this "exhibition" does not cause any animosity for anyone in the AZ community. i believe we could have picked 2 random AZers and had a better match than we saw last night.