Could this man be the Mosconi Messiah

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I strongly support Mark Wilson and his methods. He is GOOD!

The players will need to conform to his standards and rules - or go elsewhere.

He will do a bang up job if selected as coach of Mosconi Cup - may not be victorious - but will behave properly and perform so we can be proud of them.

I really feel he understands the dynamics of discipline and team work.

Mark Griffin

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
The existing lot of active professional pro players in America is slim pickings. If they include all of North America next year, we will see quite a different complement of players.

I'm not sure at this juncture how established pool pros in today's pool world will respond to Mark Wilson as their coach. There needs to be a relationship developed, I think, in order for a team and coach to be effective in unison. :cool:

Well, I think it's safe to say for the most part there already is a relationship. It's not as if Mark is new to the scene. He has been a pro player for over 20 years. I doubt that there is any pro who doesn't know him or at least know of him.

I agree that there should be a level of harmony and unison in any good team. Which is why I would recommend Mark, I believe he is the right type of person for the job.

I would be careful not to put him on a pedestal though. There is no one person that is going to make all the difference, all a leader can do is show them the way. It's up to the players to carry it out. It would be unfair to place all the credit or blame on one person.

Earlier I made mention of Earls antics, I should have stated that the loss wasn't just his fault. It was a team loss. The point I was wanting to make is that a negative attitude such as the one he displayed is like cancer for the team and I think they need to get away from that type of behavior if they are going to be successful. That behavior shouldn't be allowed by ANY of the players. I apologize for singling out just Earl, but he was the main one that came to mind when I was typing that.

What it all boils down to is that team USA needs a new positive attitude and a strong leader. I like Mark in that position. I'm not saying he is the only person, but if I had a say so he is the guy I would pick without hesitation.

oscar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mark wilso

mark is a great teacher and player i have had many lesson with mark and also a truly great road player the road player told me that mark wilson was the only one that new more than him and this road player new just about everything to no about billiards from all over the world MARK WILSON AND JESSE GLEN BOND would be a great for the mosconi cub

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson

I strongly support Mark Wilson and his methods. He is GOOD!

The players will need to conform to his standards and rules - or go elsewhere.

He will do a bang up job if selected as coach of Mosconi Cup - may not be victorious - but will behave properly and perform so we can be proud of them.

I really feel he understands the dynamics of discipline and team work.

Mark Griffin

I have known Mark as for, at least, 10 years. I agree and enjoy the posts here that say Mark has earned his good reputation, because it is true. I do not think there is a person on this earth that wants to see pool (and U.S. pool) improve more than Mark.

Mark is a great instructor and a great person. He would not tolerate the stuff that this years team did. At times, I found it very hard to root for the U.S. given their behavior (mostly Earl).

Why not let some new blood into this? Could the performance be worse than it was this year? If Mark can get his group to 4 points he will have doubled the success of this year.

kollegedave

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I think it's safe to say for the most part there already is a relationship. It's not as if Mark is new to the scene. He has been a pro player for over 20 years. I doubt that there is any pro who doesn't know him or at least know of him.

I agree that there should be a level of harmony and unison in any good team. Which is why I would recommend Mark, I believe he is the right type of person for the job.

I would be careful not to put him on a pedestal though. There is no one person that is going to make all the difference, all a leader can do is show them the way. It's up to the players to carry it out. It would be unfair to place all the credit or blame on one person.

Earlier I made mention of Earls antics, I should have stated that the loss wasn't just his fault. It was a team loss. The point I was wanting to make is that a negative attitude such as the one he displayed is like cancer for the team and I think they need to get away from that type of behavior if they are going to be successful. That behavior shouldn't be allowed by ANY of the players. I apologize for singling out just Earl, but he was the main one that came to mind when I was typing that.

What it all boils down to is that team USA needs a new positive attitude and a strong leader. I like Mark in that position. I'm not saying he is the only person, but if I had a say so he is the guy I would pick without hesitation.

About Earl, his record on this year's Cup was second to Shane and above the other three members.

My point about Mark Wilson is that, yes, he may be an excellent coach for pool, but the *EXISTING* American pro players of the caliber needed for the Mosconi Cup are experienced pros who may not take direction kindly from someone they don't know.

Personally, I haven't heard much info about Mark Wilson until recent times. I actually created a thread about him a few weeks ago to learn more, but I guess that's been swept under the rug as far as what my thoughts are.

I understand there are some on this forum and elsewhere who will sing his praises to the cows come home. I'm just saying that his effect on a team consisting of *EXISTING* pros who don't know him or are not aware of his accomplishments may be something to think about for future reference. Maybe "bonding" is the right word here. :smile:

My point, I guess, is that it would be good if there was a way for him to connect with whoever it is that is selected to be on the team. Picking players from colleges to be on Team USA or Team Norht America may not be strong enough to win.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
About Earl, his record on this year's Cup was second to Shane and above the other three members.

My point about Mark Wilson is that, yes, he may be an excellent coach for pool, but the *EXISTING* American pro players of the caliber needed for the Mosconi Cup are experienced pros who may not take direction kindly from someone they don't know.

Personally, I haven't heard much info about Mark Wilson until recent times. I actually created a thread about him a few weeks ago to learn more, but I guess that's been swept under the rug as far as what my thoughts are.

I understand there are some on this forum and elsewhere who will sing his praises to the cows come home. I'm just saying that his effect on a team consisting of *EXISTING* pros who don't know him or are not aware of his accomplishments may be something to think about for future reference. Maybe "bonding" is the right word here. :smile:

My point, I guess, is that it would be good if there was a way for him to connect with whoever it is that is selected to be on the team. Picking players from colleges to be on Team USA or Team Norht America may not be strong enough to win.

I think it's safe to say that all of the players on the team this year know Mark, but I don't know that for a fact. I know Mark has worked with several pros in the past and played probably all of them at one point or another.

But I agree bonding is important, where I get a little fuzzy is this. The current agenda is not working, I think we can all agree to that. I also think it is safe to say a change is in order. I think the logical place to start is the leader. Then the players who are selected accept knowing what they are agreeing to. From then on there should be no question what everyones job is and how they should conduct themselves.

If not, we can continue to go down the same ole road but we should expect it to take us to the same dead end.

Here's a thought; maybe there should be tryouts for the team! :eek:

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
In the past I'd heard only a little about Mark. I'm not quite sure why he's being pushed up by some here as possible US Cup captain.

I only know he was on The Cup way back when, wrote a book, and is a coach for Linderwood University - why would he be a top choice to captain the US Cup team?

Perhaps in this thread, I, and others can learn more @ him. Thanks pro9dg!

You seriously should watch some vids where Mark does commentary. The Hong Kong Challenge (Efren vs Earl race to 120) was some of the finest commentary I've ever heard. The man understands the nuances and intricacies of the game and its players better than any living human.

He's a little short on charisma and a little long on social awkwardness. He also has practically no ego, so his contributions would be focused more on helping the team rather than just showing up for an easy payday. Also, he's one of only a handful of the 90's pros who isn't broke, if that tells you anything.

If you took the same five players who just got their nuts shot off, and stick them in a room with Mark for a month before next year's Cup, we might not win, but I believe we could avoid total embarrassment.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I would rather see Mark Wilson as coach and 4 new young players than the same old good old boys get the nod because there top players and in harmony. There in harmony alright...and that's a big part of the problem. So what if the new young guys lose? At least you'll have a coach that can control and a team that all Americans can respect win or lose. One in the last seven MC's isn't like we are replacing a team that won 6 out of 7. Mark Wilson for coach and at least 4 new players. The old pros had there chance and played poorly for whatever reason. The gravy is over Johnnyt

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just saying that his effect on a team consisting of *EXISTING* pros who don't know him or are not aware of his accomplishments may be something to think about for future reference. Maybe "bonding" is the right word here. :smile:

In order to "accomplish" a task, "bonding" ISN'T really a NECESSITY...it is a NICETY.

I DON'T EVER remember BONDING with my drill instructors in Boot Camp, but they got the job DONE.

"Leading" a team has "NOTHING" to do with being the BEST pool player in the world, or even in the top 1000 players. Leading means running a structured system with the BEST players AVAILABLE and trying to accomplish an objective with established rules and goals.

You DON''T "really" want your best buddy being your coach. You need somebody that is critical and provides encouragement and "guidance"...not somebody sitting around "wowing" on your every shot and telling you "how good you play".

If you want the BEST advice in the world on "what shot to take or what safe to play", you may want to use a lifeline and call Earl. If you want the BEST leader, then I would suggest somebody that has a "history" of LEADING something.

Aloha. :)

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
If not, we can continue to go down the same ole road but we should expect it to take us to the same dead end.

Here's a thought; maybe there should be tryouts for the team! :eek:

CD,
You bring up an important point...but one that needs clarification.

The "same ole road" was quite distressing this year. Since this is a Matchroom production, it is TOTALLY THEIR call as to how or IF this thing continues. It would be shocking to me if they did not cancel it or change it next year. Hopefully the U.S. team will still be included, and they can change the selection or format so that they have a better product to sell.

I am confident Mark could steer them towards something different, more professional, and more entertaining; but wonder if they even know what he could bring to the table; or whether they care (not sure how they felt about this year, but its hard to believe it was what they wanted). I think C.J. found out that with the current selection process, the captain has little to do with the behavior or outcome.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In order to "accomplish" a task, "bonding" ISN'T really a NECESSITY...it is a NICETY.

I DON'T EVER remember BONDING with my drill instructors in Boot Camp, but they got the job DONE.

"Leading" a team has "NOTHING" to do with being the BEST pool player in the world, or even in the top 1000 players. Leading means running a structured system with the BEST players AVAILABLE and trying to accomplish an objective with established rules and goals.

You DON''T "really" want your best buddy being your coach. You need somebody that is critical and provides encouragement and "guidance"...not somebody sitting around "wowing" on your every shot and telling you "how good you play".

If you want the BEST advice in the world on "what shot to take or what safe to play", you may want to use a lifeline and call Earl. If you want the BEST leader, then I would suggest somebody that has a "history" of LEADING something.

Aloha. :)

I see your point, but let me approach the topic a different way, if I may. :)

Keith used to write an article, with my help as everybody likes to cram it down our collective throats, for a pool magazine. The articles usually contained a pool shot with instructions on how to achieve it.

Well, one day, the editor of the magazine contacted Keith and said that a pool instructor, much like Mark Wilson, said there was no way the shot could be made the way Keith described it, and they needed for Keith to review his article again before publishing.

So I asked Keith to please go downstairs and show me the shot he was describing in the article. I wanted to see it with my own eyes, up front and close. Keith proceeded to show me the shot exactly the way it was written.

Then he had a few choice words about the so-called "pool instructor" who hasn't won a tournament or a tin cup with his instructions. In fact, it angered Keith to no end that this "pool instructor" actually had the nerve to say the shot couldn't be done the way Keith described it.

This tension, for lack of a better word, is what I am trying to convey about team members and a coach having no relationship beforehand. That's all. Playing competitive sports is a wee bit different than boot camp, right? :grin-square:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ain't no genius coach gonna make a team with 3 of the world's top 50 players win the Mosconi Cup.

Hard to see how pulling a college crew from near last to top of a local league, thanks largely to the inclusion of a pro level junior makes that a winning formula for the country.

Is it part of a dream of state sponsorship via colleges, like we see in hugely popular sports like swimming, track and wrestling? n.b. Very few of them make a dime.

A hundred world class coaches cannot do what a single good entrepreneur can do for the game.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ain't no genius coach gonna make a team with 3 of the world's top 50 players win the Mosconi Cup.

Hard to see how pulling a college crew from near last to top of a local league, thanks largely to the inclusion of a pro level junior makes that a winning formula for the country.

Is it part of a dream of state sponsorship via colleges, like we see in hugely popular sports like swimming, track and wrestling? n.b. Very few of them make a dime.

A hundred world class coaches cannot do what a single good entrepreneur can do for the game.

Colin, you hit the nail on the head with the last sentence for sure. :wink:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
CD,
You bring up an important point...but one that needs clarification.

The "same ole road" was quite distressing this year. Since this is a Matchroom production, it is TOTALLY THEIR call as to how or IF this thing continues. It would be shocking to me if they did not cancel it or change it next year. Hopefully the U.S. team will still be included, and they can change the selection or format so that they have a better product to sell.

I am confident Mark could steer them towards something different, more professional, and more entertaining; but wonder if they even know what he could bring to the table; or whether they care (not sure how they felt about this year, but its hard to believe it was what they wanted). I think C.J. found out that with the current selection process, the captain has little to do with the behavior or outcome.

Yeah, I'm not slamming CJ. It must be a huge task to try and control huge talent. I will also go so far as to say I care little what the industry wants. I am going by what I want to see! (and yes I know it doesn't matter to others what I want!) But I want to see a TEAM, a group of guys and/or girls that play with a passion and respect that we can all be proud of.
Notice I didn't mention winning. It would be nice to win but I don't want a win at all costs. If I am ashamed of how my country was represented in the Mosconi cup than I don't consider it a win, no matter what the score was.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ever consider he might have had a legit reason for being so mad at that point? Did you notice how SVB had the attitude of "what's the point of trying?" But, later he was able to at least try for himself. All I'm saying is, don't get down on Earl so much when there are extenuating circumstances. What we get to see isn't always what's really happening.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

For some of the members and Captains on the Mosconi Cup team in recent years -- I'll put up Mark's accomplishments in the pool world in recent history to theirs any day of the week. Mark shouldn't be faulted as a choice simply because an *EXISTING* pro player can't see beyond his hand in front of his face.

Someone find my post on the greatest coaches in history and their resume prior to becoming the elite in their sport. :smile:

Watchez is the teacher

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

Like what Camel did for pool -- oh wait, the pool players screwed that up.

Or KT -- oh wait, KT and the players screwed that up as well.

Or the guy from Ultimate 10 Ball -- oh wait, the players screwed that up as well.

Or the people that host the snooker matches -- oh wait, many players have screwed that up by dumping games and being barred from the sport.

Or Mark Griffin and his events -- oh wait, the players screwed that up and already the US Open One Pocket is invitiation only to 48 players. Going to be a lot of players left at home, drawing their ball with no one watching.

A world class coach can teach the players class. That would be a HUGE move forward in the impression of pool on the world.

Watchez is the teacher.