The Biggest reason Lower level players can't improve ????

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My two cents

I have had the lesson from Gene and did this probably in 2015 or so...I don't recall exactly. What had me interested was the fact that I had noticed over the years that there were same days that I would get down to shoot a ball and could not for the life of me see the angle. I found myself struggling at times with some cut shots...not always mind you but there were days where I was "blind". So when I listened to Gene and had done the lesson, I realized this was the reason for my occasional issues. I can now say that this is something I do not suffer from any longer as I can now recognize it and address it properly. It was this insight as well as a lesson from Lee Brett that allowed me to work on some fundamentals (stance, pre-shot routine, aiming, etc). I also had some feedback from Dee Adkins on my stroke. Dee pointed out the issue with my stroke as I would have too fast a back-swing and I was using too big a stroke for softer shots. Anyway, it was all of these "lessons" that helped my game...I was already a B+/A player from just putting in time with leagues, at bars, and some gambling matches. Recently, I purchased a table of my own and I am working on putting in the time and fine-tuning all of the information I have learned. Hopefully, tournaments start back up because I am itching to play and see if the results are there for all of the above. I still think consistent practice and focused table time are going to make the biggest impact as it takes this effort to truly implement anything that is learned.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to let you know.

I literally rolled out of bed this morning to play the ghost. No practice, the first shot was the break. I lost 7-0. But, I played out the racks where I missed anyway. The balls were generally going in super clean. I think I rubbed the rail on the way in maybe 1 time in the whole set. I was really hitting them well (for me). Several of the missed shots were due to throw or squirt where I didn't adjust enough. There were also a few shots that were super uncomfortable before, but now felt good. The break was not like yesterday, I lost the CB on almost every break. But the other shots felt really on.

I have the video below. Its sped 3x, 12 min long. Its fast enough I won't get bored watching it, but slow enough you can see I was striking the ball well, and the balls were going in the pockets very cleanly. I'll play more this week and still hope to post a winning ghost to 7 set.

Video:
https://youtu.be/L_R5CQH_Yq4

I played in that tournament at Stooges Sunday at 4:00 after our skype lesson. I was a little weak and shaky because I forgot to eat. There were 21 players with some that could really play. Lost by first or second match. Race to 7 9 ball alternate break. Got some food in my belly and won the tournament double-dipping the same player that I lost to earlier . The cool part about this is I'm 68 years old and had a really bad heart fixed 3 years ago. I'll put my heart up against anyones right now. Before surgery I would always know what was going on with my heart, jumping and feeling like it was up in my throat. Now I don't even notice i have a heart. It just keeps doing it's job and gives me energy that I have never had in my lifetime.

Well. It's off to the fitness center. 20 laps in the pool and then heading down to shooter 9 ball tournament to use this refurbished heart some more.

I just hope the rest of my body can keep up with this heart. 68 feeling like I'm going on 39. Life is so good....

Oh, and by the way Nick, I'm trying to figure out a new name for Perfect Aim. Maybe , Perfect Eye-ology and how to fit the eye with stance , stroke and everything else involved in making the perfect shot. That's too long of a name though? The eye is the center of the universe when you're trying to make a pool shot. If you don't get it and keep it where it belongs nothing will work.

Can you imagine if the surgeon that did my robotic heart surgery had the wrong picture when he did my heart surgery? I don't think it would have turned out so good. He could have all the right tools to do the job but would have trouble for sure with the cuts and stitches

Pool is not heart surgery but No different sighting a pool shot.

Teachers everywhere have it right, but it all has to start from the eye and build it from there.

You need the correct picture going to the brain. We can manually make it better just by knowing how to do it. otherwise hit a million balls and good luck with that.

Thanks for everthing Nick. You are going to beat that darn ghost soon my friend..

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I literally rolled out of bed this morning to play the ghost. No practice, the first shot was the break. I lost 7-0. But, I played out the racks where I missed anyway. The balls were generally going in super clean. I think I rubbed the rail on the way in maybe 1 time in the whole set. I was really hitting them well (for me). Several of the missed shots were due to throw or squirt where I didn't adjust enough. There were also a few shots that were super uncomfortable before, but now felt good. The break was not like yesterday, I lost the CB on almost every break. But the other shots felt really on.

I have the video below. Its sped 3x, 12 min long. Its fast enough I won't get bored watching it, but slow enough you can see I was striking the ball well, and the balls were going in the pockets very cleanly. I'll play more this week and still hope to post a winning ghost to 7 set.

Video:
https://youtu.be/L_R5CQH_Yq4

Must be rough...:cool:

But for real, thanks for sharing your experiences.:thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it’s not really an aiming system. But, Gene has branded it “Perfect Aim” for the past 10 years, so probably no point in changing it now. It would just dilute his brand recognition.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
After teaching for about the last 12 years, 5 of which I stayed on the road for 5 years, I have come to a very definite conclusion. Over 3,000 documented lessons finding and correcting dominant eyes while aiming a pool shot.

Most lower level players are opposite eye dominant. The reason they struggle so much with their game is the sights on the gun are crooked.

Example: Let's say you are right handed, left eye dominant. Even though you are right handed the cue would be a little to the left of your nose somewhere to see the shot most correctly. Like lining up the sights on a gun.

Because the cue is in the right hand, the right eye is on the right side and the shot looks good in the preshot, Right or left eye dominant, the player is starting out in the right eye dominant position and never gets over to where the shot looks the best at all or hardly ever.

Once this is corrected the results are off the charts for lower level players. The difference is like night and day. I have seen this over and over, from pool hall to pool hall.

This is something that nobody has ever totally figured out ever. How the eyes actually work while aiming a pool shot.

This is the main reason that many players stay at a lower level. 3's and 4's stay 3's and 4's forever.

Once a player rated a 3 learns how to get the eyes correct it is almost impossible to stay at a 3 level. The results are usually pretty drastic and for the better.

Great "insight" here! :thumbup:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Can you imagine carpenters abandoning their squares and pencils for eye school?

Not if you want a straight home, or building. Out her wise balling with get you a crappy builds.

That is why basic straight foundation is critical.

Unless you want Tower of Pizza, that leases off center.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've said this before and was told I'm wrong but I still think it's true.
I've been around pool for over 60 years and have seen a lot of pool players.
I am convinced it comes down to natural talent.
Some people are just naturals while others struggle.
I have seen many players that after a couple years playing can run racks.
I've seen more that have played for 10 or 20 or more years that still struggle to run a rack of any game.
We have all seen 16 year old golfers shoot par regularly.
While much older golfers that have taken lessons and bought the latest and greatest equipment still struggle to break 90.
Natural ability plain and simple in my mind.

You see this in all games and sports.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to add one more thing.
First I'm not a professional instructor whatever that means.
Back in N.J I gave lessons and was paid for it.
After about 15 minutes with a student I could tell if they had natural ability and could progress in ability at a fast pace.
They just got it,understood what I was telling them and could execute it.
Others would constantly struggle,no natural ability.
But I took everyone's money and really tried to help everyone.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a deal for you measureman...

I've seen more that have played for 10 or 20 or more years that still struggle to run a rack of any game.
While much older golfers that have taken lessons and bought the latest and greatest equipment still struggle to break 90.

I agree with you that some people just don't have it, but there are so many players that could be so much better and have so much more fun by getting all the parts and pieces of a pool shot in line with the eyes.

Hard to say who has it and who doesn't until we get this part under control.

I see it all the time so it's easy for me to say this.

I'll make a deal with you. Get me one of the 3's back there in the league and I'll do a free skype lesson with them. Someone that's played for awhile but just doesn't seem to have it. I guarantee the results will be great and that player will be one of the happiest pool players in the pool hall and be even more addicted to the game.

Take advantage of this offer and help a friend.

I remember you from my travels out there teaching about 11 years ago. Good Luck with your game...and health...
:thumbup:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you that some people just don't have it, but there are so many players that could be so much better and have so much more fun by getting all the parts and pieces of a pool shot in line with the eyes.

Hard to say who has it and who doesn't until we get this part under control.

I see it all the time so it's easy for me to say this.

I'll make a deal with you. Get me one of the 3's back there in the league and I'll do a free skype lesson with them. Someone that's played for awhile but just doesn't seem to have it. I guarantee the results will be great and that player will be one of the happiest pool players in the pool hall and be even more addicted to the game.

Take advantage of this offer and help a friend.

I remember you from my travels out there teaching about 11 years ago. Good Luck with your game...and health...

I'll take that offer, im a 3's :D

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
asbani, you got a deal.

I'll take that offer, im a 3's :D

I'm glad you volunteered. I've never met you but hopefully this will make a big difference in how you play the game of pool.

I'm in a challenge match Friday night myself so I'm working out and playing as much as I can until then. It won't be until Tuesday until I have time available. Afternoon or night.

Just let me know. Looking forward to working with you. 7155638712 You can call me.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the case exactly....

Wouldn't it be grand if it were only this simple?

Lower level players stay there for a variety of reasons. Not aiming straight is way down on the list. Particularly for 3s and 4s. They have no stance, they have no stroke, they have no pre shot routine, they have no plan. In short they have no solid fundamentals. And then they often have booze and dope to boot.

And they generally have no inclination to change any of that. The reason the people you help improve rapidly is partly because of what you show them about their eyes but mostly because they do have an inclination to get better which is why you met them to begin with.

The people I work with have no idea why they struggle so much. From the beginner to the pro there is a certain degree of inability to see things correctly.

The more the player plays usually, the better they see the shot naturally because of repetition.

I do little mini lessons that take about 10 minutes to show players the trouble they have. They have no clue when I start this mini lesson about what I teach and how much it will help them.

Once I get done, for some it is almost like a miracle for them. They were so not happy with how they played because they could hardly make a ball.

I've done this thousands of times so for me it is a given.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Geno?

Does anything that you teach involve rolling balls down the table? That's the key to being great, rolling balls down the table.

r/DCP

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member

Mentally, you may be right, some people just don't have the will/work ethic/attitude/etc. to take the steps to improve and for some, that is basically ingrained permanently, but physically I would disagree. If I can break and run a rack or two with my left hand (I have), which is about as uncoordinated as a 5 year old on crack with little to no practice, anybody without a major physical handicap should be able to do the same. Nobody able-bodied under 50 has an excuse, imho.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Hey Geno?

Does anything that you teach involve rolling balls down the table? That's the key to being great, rolling balls down the table.

r/DCP

That is funny, I have a vision of Pool - Bowling Hybred Game.

Two reason people never improve doing the same word thing over, and over again. With no attempted to change bad habits.

Plus they spend money on instructional DVD's, Book's, and Lession. but never put what they paid for to use with practice to the point of mussel memory.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of a funny statement there?

Hey Geno?

r/DCP

I could give a player a different lesson every day for 6 months and never show them the same thing.

When I first started my journey teaching 40 years ago I knew alot but still knew so litlle. So I know how it is for many players and teachers to think they know alot but eventually if they teach enough start learning how little they really knew.

They can still help players but they run into things they just don't have the answers for.

After logging over 3,000 lessons I learned along the way. Many teachers know this because it has been that way for them. Being able to play at a higher level isn't necessary right now if your teaching but it helps if you could play at a higher level some time in your life. How can you teach it if you couldn't even do it.

I'm a pool player. I play pool and I teach pool.

If I was a carpenter and I figured out the best way to use a drill and showed everyone this best way do you think that other carpenters are going to say, Oh Ya, you can drill but can you use a hammer and a level? All you know about is drilling.

I've had some of this stuff said to me by some people that are supposed to be pretty good teachers in their own right.

How foolish is that to assume that all I can do is drill?

I'm very confident in my ability to help every single player that I work with. Any part of the game.